The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Which dvds have help you most in becoming a better performer? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Hi all.

I'm looking for some dvds that can help me become a better performer. So far my favorite one in that area is Eugene Burgers, "Eugene Burger Presents Exploring Magical Presentation". But also John Carneys old tape, "Up close and Far Away" and dvds with David Williamson where he performs live, is among my favorites

What are yours?
Ado
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1033 Posts

Profile of Ado
Malone on Marlo.

Because Malone is a great entertainer, and because he shows you that it's possible to make those knuckle busters fly, without raising any eybrow, given a good charismatic persona.
Don't look like you're thinking, don't be (too) rude, get to know your audience as you perform for it, keep a good pace with meaningful breaks to let the audience catch up, and master your technique. If I had to keep one reference of card magic well done, that'd be any DVD of that series.

P!
mago.niko
View Profile
Loyal user
Athens, Greece
286 Posts

Profile of mago.niko
It depends on your style..
Check Greg Wilson's "On the spot". One of the best performers doing magic in real conditions..
Searching for the magic side of life...
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Yea I'm not too sure to be honest. I think I became a lot better watching some pros perform in person for multiple groups.

I also like to read and some books like Jamie D Grant's The Approach or Eugene Burger's Mastering The Art Of Magic really helped a lot. There are a lot more out there as well... Strong Magic, Maximum Entertainment, Books of Wonder etc. that all help.

Honestly though...

The best way to be a better performer is to just actively listen to your audience and you won't truly know what they are saying until you have done the same trick for 100 different audiences. You start to "know" what works and doesn't. It's not a matter if sitting around and writing something to be perfect, you'll never be ready.

Some great magicians to watch perform:
Michael Ammar
Bill Malone
Doc Eason
Whit Haydn
Eugene Burger
Bill Abbott
Chad Long
Gregory Wilson
David Williamson
Sankey (when he's really performing for people, not the camera)

I would check out Mastering The Art Of Magic by Eugene Burger going forward. It's worth it.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Joanie Spina has a great set on performing.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Justin Miller's video downloads fit the bill. He doesn't just teach the trick, but goes over all the ins and outs and performance psychology, gleaned from years of live performances.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Which dvds have help you most in becoming a better performer? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL