The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Mentalism for the Boys and Girls Club (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
I am going to volunteer the performance of a show for the local Boys and Girls Club. It will last about 40 minutes and the audience will be made of kids between 9 and 16. Any suggestion about the type of effect / the structure of the show / presentation in general? It is going to be the first time I perform for such a young crowd.

My draft for now is to warm up with a book test (using a f***e book to direct 2-3 kids to f***e pages of age-appropriate books); then Cinema Verite, coupled with an effect tailored to the collection of video tapes of the Club (volunteer picks up any movie from the shelf, I mind-read which one using a p*********e a******m based on the catalog); Predic-Torn Animal version; Sneak Thief without the DD, just as a "personality test", returning the drawings made on dry erase boards to them; maybe Chess Gambit and/or Psign, and grand finale with Color Match.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Your opener needs to be quick and visual and fun. I made the mistake in my last show for this age group of making them wait too long to see something magical. I know that sounds more like "kids magic" than mentalism, but you have to face reality: they *are* just kids. As such, they are not real interested in following involved plots right at first. Yes, they will follow plots with video games and such, but only with a lot of action thrown in. And there has to be a very quick "buy-in", or they'll be texting each other and tweeting how boring you are.

What I've done in the past is an invisible deck routine - not the whole thing, just asking for a color, a number, and a suit from that color. What I plan for my next show is Healed and Sealed while I give an intro, and then ask for a phone number from somebody's contacts, which I show written on my business card. Hopefully, that will pique the interest enough to engage them to follow me into the next routine.

Ed
thementalcoach
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, CA
64 Posts

Profile of thementalcoach
I give presentations to children on the power of the mind (usually as pertains to sports) but keeping their attention is TOUGH (I did one a few days ago to a room full of high school freshmen). I like to start out with an imagination exercise like the heavy/light arm and something for comic relief like the fast alphabet. Then they are engaged and it's easier to keep their attention. Oh, and I really work the crowd to keep things interactive. Smile
David Kenward - The Mental Coach
One-on-One: Healing Trauma - Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy
Groups: Magic, Mentalism
Sacramento, California
http://thementalcoach.com
Remarkable Marco
View Profile
Veteran user
When I grow up, I want to have
355 Posts

Profile of Remarkable Marco
I was thinking of opening with Redunkulous... loud, visual, messy and interactive... hope it works!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Mentalism for the Boys and Girls Club (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL