We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Nichrome Wire (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
773 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Where is the best place to buy Nichrome Wire locally?

I checked an RC Hobby store and the teen clerk looked at me blankly. Smile

Does Radio Shack carry that kind of stuff?

We also have a Lowes and Home Depot here.

I just don't know where to start looking locally.
The pirate to the left is Professor Q.B.

ProfessorQB.com

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
809 Posts

Profile of lin
Depending on the gauge you want, you could go to Goodwill and salvage the wire from an old toaster or hairdryer.

Well stocked Radio Control Hobby shops should have it; maybe better luck asking a different clerk?

I don't know of a "Main street" retailer that stocks it, but you can order it online from United Nuclear and/or Nasco:

http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_......c3f2be0d

http://www.enasco.com/product/0300405

I've ordered supplies from both.

Amazon and ebay also have it.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I've never seen it in national chain stores but I have seen it in really well stocked local hardware stores.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2216 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Look at cigarette shops where they sell electronic cigarettes. I buy mine there.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
GM
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of GM
Try to use the wire..which is sold for the styro hot cutting tools.....
Noel M
View Profile
Loyal user
San Rafael. CA
208 Posts

Profile of Noel M
Eldon
View Profile
Inner circle
Virden, IL
1134 Posts

Profile of Eldon
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2014, Noel M wrote:
Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p......from=R40

You beat me to it. That's where I get mine.
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Can someone tell me if this is true please? The bigger the gauge (AWG) is the thinner the wire and it'll be broken easier, right?
I have a small sample 38 AWG and when I applied 12V, sometime it's destroyed the wire if I left a little too long. So I was thinking of getting the next size, just not sure will be 40 WAG or 34 AWG. If I use 9V battery as the power source, can you recommend to me what gauge is the best please? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21845 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2015, knmagic wrote:
Can someone tell me if this is true please? The bigger the gauge (AWG) is the thinner the wire and it'll be broken easier, right?
I have a small sample 38 AWG and when I applied 12V, sometime it's destroyed the wire if I left a little too long. So I was thinking of getting the next size, just not sure will be 40 WAG or 34 AWG. If I use 9V battery as the power source, can you recommend to me what gauge is the best please? Any input is greatly appreciated.

My wire gauge goes from 3 to 19, 19 being the smallest, and 3 being the largest.

No. 3 = .2437 Thickest
No. 19 = .0410 Thinnest
All the magic props I have encountered only use 2 double AA batteries. Even the electrical current devices use very thin wire. So 9 volt battery seems extreme. The electric wall plug versions do burn the wire each time and have to be replaced, of course the powder may have something to do with that as well.

Theater effects has been a supplier of electronic devices for many years, here is their website. They also sell the wire.

http://www.theatrefx.com/moreinfo-ig04-n......ers.html

Sorry, I cannot be more specific, but I am not an electrical engineer, just someone been around magic props a long time.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Thank you very much for the info Bill.
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
For many years, I have used a model train transformer for powering the various nichrome wires I have used for cutting. You can vary the voltage slowly using the transformer, and they are pretty inexpensive. It's a good way to push it up to the limit of the wire, especially if you are using different gauges and lengths the way that I do. It also tends to sag a bit when heated, so some kind of tension device holding it isn't a bad idea.

A lot of the basic styro cutters run on two D cells, or 6 Volts. That's a good starting place.

Good luck!
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Special user
965 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
34 gauge is usually what I use. This will ignite flash paper/cotton when 3 volts is applied. You will not see a red glow when this voltage is applied but it will ignite the above.

Chuck C.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:

My wire gauge goes from 3 to 19, 19 being the smallest, and 3 being the largest.

No. 3 = .2437 Thickest
No. 19 = .0410 Thinnest
All the magic props I have encountered only use 2 double AA batteries. Even the electrical current devices use very thin wire. So 9 volt battery seems extreme. The electric wall plug versions do burn the wire each time and have to be replaced, of course the powder may have something to do with that as well.

110 volts will fry a thin wire without any powder. Think of trying to make a lightbulb without the vacuum.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Nichrome Wire (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL