The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unidentified US national held by North Korea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25058345

Another US citizen, Kenneth Bae, has been detained since November 2012.

I have not heard about this before.

It seems, if I understand it right, the North Koreans are snatching any old veterans that they can.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Maybe Kim Jong Un finally got tired of Dennis Rodman.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
That little brat needs a spanking, maybe Dennis Rodman could do the world a favor and take care of that.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Unfortnately Rodman needs a spanking too. Better yet, someone should challenge both of them to put a billiard ball in their mouths. (don't try it folks)
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
I don't believe that Bae is a veteran. He was proselytizing Christianity. Not a good idea unless you want to end up a martyr.

Merrill Newman, on the other hand, was a vet who served in Korea during the 'conflict' in the '50's. He was there on vacation, not unlike D-Day vets who visit Normandy. He was plucked from his plane right before he was supposed to leave. This is very disturbing.

The North Korean government - the Kims - are thugs. They starve their people and throw those who try to escape the country into prison. Rodman is a clown.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I think he was detained because of his past military service. The war on the Korean peninsula never really ended and North Korea is still the enemy. They are a dangerous and repressive regime and have not forgotten the Korean War and it's niave for anybody to think otherwise. I think it's unwise for veterans of Korean War to visit North Korea given that the war never really ended there and that North Korea is still the enemy. Honestly, I can't imagine why anybody would ever want to visit a place like North Korea, especially if you had a fought in a war there.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-11-22 23:20, General_Magician wrote:
Honestly, I can't imagine why anybody would ever want to visit a place like North Korea, especially if you had a fought in a war there.

I think I can understand it. Different people process things in different ways.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I served during Vietnam and never went there. It's on my bucket list. The cuisine, the culture, the American experience there. The history.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
There have been many things on the news here lately about North Korea and China but I have not heard them mention these cases here at all. Maybe I have I just missed it but I would have thought these cases would be major news. Anyhow I think its a waste of time complaining to North Korea. Pressure has to be put on China I think. They seem to be the only ones really supporting this monstrous North Korean regime and China are the only ones they are likely to listen to, it seems me. Or Russia perhaps.
I hate not being able to see any solution to things like this.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
"I hate not being able to see any solution to things like this."

You are surely aware of the absence of another person who used the word "hate" frequently? Smile

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Well I hope the North Koreans don't starve, torture or deny this vet his meds. It takes a special kind of coward to do such things to an old man but I wouldn't put it past the North Koreans and their "dear leader" that Dennis Rodman is "friends" with. Dennis Rodman is an incredibly niave idiot trying to be "friends" with a tyrant, especially as young and inexperienced the one is in North Korea who seems to think he has something to prove given his age and inexperience. Hopefully, the US government can do something to get this man set free and back home to the states.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Mahatma Gandhi once wrote a "friendly" letter to Hitler. Some people sincerely believe that showing love to even the worst people can change the world, and Gandhi did change the world- he just didn't manage to end WWII. Maybe Rodman is trying to be like Gandhi, and maybe he's genuinely fleeced. I don't know which.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Talk softly and carry a big stick.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The old fellows comming home for Christmas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25274840

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'll believe it when they get off the planes and step onto the tarmac. Until then, it's empty words that can be reversed.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
The bottom line is that this country is perceived as weak. For generations this country has had nothing but criminals, clowns and lap dogs for our so called "leaders".

When people see you as weak they take liberties.

Look at the dogs breakfast that's been made of our negotiations with Iran.
Does anyone really believe that they've given up their weapons program?
Do they fear ANYTHING we might do?
Or are they laughing their asses off at our naivety?

We need a hero in this country. Someone who will bring back the concept of American pride.

Does anyone remember when we we're proud to be Americans for the RIGHT reasons? I do.

I remember a time when little ****ant countries like North Korea and Iran, and all the other rats that are gnashing their teeth at us, would never even think of messing with us.

Now we're an international joke. Like all good jokes we're being laughed at, and we deserve it.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 06:13, ed rhodes wrote:
I'll believe it when they get off the planes and step onto the tarmac. Until then, it's empty words that can be reversed.

He's already left North Korea and is in Beijing.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Newman was met by U.S. embassy staff in Beijing. He is currently on a United Airlines flight flying over the Pacific and is expected to land in San Francisco at 11:59 a.m. ET, KTVU.com reported.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 10:09, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 06:13, ed rhodes wrote:

He's already left North Korea and is in Beijing.

Good. Where's Bae?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Unidentified US national held by North Korea (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL