The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Best Magician of All Time List??? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
There is a list called "Best Magician of All Time" at
http://www.listnerd.com/list/best-magician-off-all-time
that lists 219 magicians. It includes names we would expect like Channing Pollock, Dai Vernon, Jasper Maskelyne, David Copperfield, etc

But conspicuous by its absence on the list is the name Cardini...

I wonder what criteria the list compiler used.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
106. Richard Pitchford

I imagine the criteria is the compiler wrote down all the magicians that he is familiar with.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1135 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Houdini does not even come in on the top 200.

???
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
It's definitely the most inaccurate list of ever seen.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Jerry Sadowitz in the list at 69... some card guys are having fun.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Odd... I wonder why the compiler used Cardini's real name... It would be like putting "Erich Weiss" instead of "Houdini" or "Harry Bouton" instead of Blackstone or even David Kotkin instead of Copperfield...

Speaking of lists... I started a Café thread back in 2010 suggesting that it would be interesting compile a list of "The 100 Most Influential Magicians of All Time" similar to Michael harts _The 100_
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

I would think that a topic like that would also be an interesting program at a magic convention.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
BigDC
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of BigDC
Harry Keller #94, John Nevil Maskelyne #118, Howard Thurston #179, Lance Burton #186, Dai Vernon #189, Harry Houdini #208, Joseph Dunninger #212 all of these greats along with many more listed lower then Chrs Angel!? This is a HUGE insult to these great magicians to be listed LOWER then Chris Angel, as Chris Angel is NOTHING MORE then a JOKE in the magic world. None, I repeat, none of these great magicians should EVER be listed lower then Chris Angel, because THEY ARE NOT. They are ALL MUCH, MUCH, MUCH BETTER then him. Most of these greats should be listed close to the top in my opinion.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think it all comes down to who has a better and/or more modern, tech savvy publicist. Twenty-first century electronic media might be largely responsible for Criss Angel rating so highly on the list. It wouldn't surprise me if thanks to one TV broadcast he was seen by more people than Cardini was in his entire lifetime. But I do think Criss Angel would himself humbly acknowledge that Maskelyne, Thurston, Vernon, Cardini, et al are the giants upon whose shoulders he stood to get where he is today.

I think, too, that something Vernon said in an interview I posted on the Café back in 2010 is germaine to this discussion. Roger Sherman had asked Vernon:
-----quote-----
Sherman: Let me ask you both a question. (Editor's note: Joe Cossari was also present during the interview.) You were both around and you saw some of the greats of the old days. Dr. Jacob Daley and others, for instance. How do you compare them with the new boys in magic today? Were they better, were they worse?
Vernon: A fellow like David Roth and Mike Skinner and especially Steve Freeman from Oklahoma... I've said in print many times--Nelson Downs and Allan Shaw and Manuel--three great coin manipulators--would turn over in their graves if they saw David Roth. They couldn't even compare. BUT--as far as showmanship goes--The new guys don't even compare with the old timers. But in ability, in method, in skill--They're so far advanced, some of these young fellows today! But in showmanship!?! Tommy Downs could get out in the middle of a three ring circus with three matches and hold that crowd spellbound with showmanship... Colonel Cody said Nelson Downs was the greatest living showman he'd ever seen. He could take any little thing, take a coin and hold it up and everyone would watch him. He commanded attention. So you see, the old-timers all had showmanship.
-----unquote-----
Retrieved November 27, 2013 from
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=134&0

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
What a curioius list!
The order puzzles me...

In my list (no particular order) :
Dai Vernon, Max Malini, T Nelson Downs, Hofzinser, J-E Robert-Houdin, Nate Leipzig, Tommy Wonder, Juan Tamariz, David Roth, Buatier de Kolta, D Copperfield, Jacques Delord, Houdini, D. Ortiz ... and a lot of more
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Its obviously a nonsense list. I wouldnt get too perturbed about it.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I agree that the list is nothing to get perturbed about. But it's interesting sometimes to see what people (both in and outside the profession) think of some of the great magicians of the past and present.

Personally, I would have put Del Ray somewhere near the top of the list.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 10:13, Anatole wrote:
I agree that the list is nothing to get perturbed about. But it's interesting sometimes to see what people (both in and outside the profession) think of some of the great magicians of the past and present.

Personally, I would have put Del Ray somewhere near the top of the list.

----- Sonny

Good idea
Del Ray and Jimmy Grippo (I don't know why but I often associate them)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-11-27 13:36, Jiceh wrote:

Del Ray and Jimmy Grippo (I don't know why but I often associate them)

Throw in Tony Giorgio, and you'd have a good start on the cast for a great mob movie. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Andrew Immerman
View Profile
Regular user
California
108 Posts

Profile of Andrew Immerman
Some 19th century favorites: Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin, Johann Nepomuk Hofzinser, John Nevil Maskelyne, and Georges Melies.

Some 20th'ish century favorites: Dai Vernon, Cardini, Channing Pollock, Rene Lavand, Alex Elmsley, Derek Dingle, Ricky Jay, Stephen Minch, Paul Harris, Daryl Martinez, and Derren Brown.

Some 21st'ish century favorites: Woody Aragon, Dani DaOrtiz, Helder Guimaraes, Kostya Kimlat, Shoot Ogawa, and Ponta the Smith.

These lists are far from complete (and exclude friends). :p

Andrew
leonardo_t
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of leonardo_t
I do not think that Criss Angel should as high as he is on the list, especially above some of the other and greater magicians who are lower than him.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
None of you have mentioned he best all-arounds, FRED KAPS, and ROCCO.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Kaps was fabulous, I remember watching in awe as he did his dancing cork routine, must have been nearly 40 years ago now, a wonderful person as well.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
All around? I think Johnny Thompson deserves a mention.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I'm with landmark.....Johnny Thompson should MOST DEFINITELY be on the list...and three more magicians who are missing from the list, at least in my opinion, are Bro. John Hamman, Matt Schulien nd Neil Foster.
jcss
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of jcss
I love Lance Burton...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Best Magician of All Time List??? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL