The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Am I alone? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1022 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Let's be clear about another point that was not addressed: Edgar Bergen did not carry Charlie McCarthy with him everywhere he went. If he was asked to perform at a party, he would draw a face on his hand and do a short routine with "Ophelia."

There is a time and a place for everything.

See ya!
Joe Libby
International Motivational Speaker & Entertainer; Helps you get ROCK-STAR RESULTS for your event!

For your gifts and free trainings, visit:
https://JoeLibbySeminars.com
MT
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of MT
I know I'm responding to a pretty old post here, but I just wanted to comment.

2 weeks ago I took my puppet to Costco shopping. The vast majority of the employees and customers really enjoyed him and talked to him. I didn't get any negative responses. The guy who offered samples offered him some nuts. This mom smiled at my puppet and pointed it out to her daughter. The guys who check your receipt when you leave were laughing.

If you do bring the puppet out to the public, make sure you don't shove it in people's face or act annoying. You can tell quickly by reading people's body language. If people are warm, then that's cool. But if they just look away, that's fine too. Just leave them alone.

Everyone will respond to a puppet differently. Just be respectful. I think it's a lot of full bringing out the puppet to the public. You'll be making someone's day. Plus it builds your confidence in thinking on your feet.

Might there be a few who might think you're weird? There always will be a few, but you just need to get over that. Anytime you take a chance at making someone's day there will always be those few. But those who appreciate you will make it all worth it. I know it's easier said than done, especially since we, entertainers, tend to be people pleasers and even if 99 people like us, we constantly think about the 1 who might not have.
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
I feel the pro approaches his characters as working tools.You don't see carpenters taking their tools everywhere they go, no doctors their stethascopes. Sure, you have to breathe life into your charaxters when working..sure, you have to make them seem to be real..but to carry them around everywhere thinking everybody needs what you have to offer whether they want it or not is a bit much. To those of us at Vent Haven who see someone carrying their puppet around all the time, especially into the restaurant, makes us all seem a little strange. I love vent and ventriloquists..but you really need to know when to turn it off, so vent can be viewed as pleasurable not annoying.
Mark
markwade@kidshowvent.com
KeithS
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of KeithS
My sentiments exactly, Mark. Thank you for expressing that.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
I always enjoy an opportunity to bring out one of my figures if someone is over and wants to see one, and most of the time if someone wants me to bring one to some event (but not all the time - fortunately, I have no problem with the word "no").
But I can't imagine just carrying one around with me wherever I go. Got to know when to turn it off.

BTW, the op of this thread, daffydoug, hasn't been around in a while, hope all is well with him.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Yeah...there's a tradition in theatre among actors that you don't leave the backstage area in makeup. I have never mixed with an audience afterward at a reception or in the lobby while carrying a figure unless the sponsor specifically asked for it...in which case I would point out that it would be difficult to shake hands or (ahem) give autographs. Smile

I do an annual show that ends with a walk through the audience with Louie...but the conditions of that show (which I've been doing for over forty years now! Jeez, I'm old) dictate the form.

My figures are in a separate room of the house (and, once my new cases arrive--today) will be in new cases and out of sight. I don't bring them out to play unless someone asks, and even then, they're not out for long.

It's strange enough to make one's living in show business...no sense seeking the "strange" label.

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

My figures have been in another room, in their cases, with exception of one I have in a display case, and I have some pictures around like one of me with my figure Hannibal and his creator Rick Price - so it's not like no one's going to know because my figures aren't out.
But I do want to change that after I move, I want to have my figures on display where I can see them instead of tucked away in a case, but they won't be out in a main room like the living room, etc., it will probably be in my den (unless I can manage to claim the guest room for their purpose).

Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
Right now, Huck and Sylvia and Cooter are out. Louie and Niblet and the duck are in cases. Since it's a back bedroom, though, I can keep the door closed so the three that are out don't get dusty. For awhile, Sylvia was in the dining room while I worked on her a bit. Every time the dogs came in and out of the back door, they brought a swirl of dust with 'em...and before long I was blowing dust out of Sylvia's curly white hair with a pressurized air can!

-Philip
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

That's why I'll be safe keeping mine out, whether they are in my den or the guest room, the door will be closed, so they'll be a little safer from such things, and from grabbing hands of any visitors. And of course the one I keep in the display case, even being in the living room, it's safe from grabbing hands and from dust and stuff blowing in.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Am I alone? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL