The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Finally have a Website. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I think I must be about the last guy around to get a website. I have a buddy's son doing it for me. It's still getting worked on, so any tips would be much appriciated.
Thanks much, Bob.
http://www.drdelusion.com
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Hey Bob
I think landing page is important,
yours however does not provide much information,

something you might want to consider, good luck
jugglery
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of jugglery
Hi Bob,

It has a very nice feel. Great colors and a warm style.

First thing? "Illusions" should NOT have an apostrophe. You'll lose credibility with some people until you lose the apostrophe.

While it is pretty cool to be able to click on the cord to reveal the website, it is just one more step between you and the buying public. I know that the higher end buyers really don't want to take the time to click things just to get to the good stuff. Perhaps you could use the cord for another purpose. Could you make it reveal the photo album? In other words, make sure that you have your pertinent info on the first page that loads, but have the fancy clicks lead to places that you want to further highlight. It is fun to click the cord, but it shouldn't be a requirement to find the information that you want everyone to see.

Your copy can be improved by looking for different descriptive words. You repeat the word "show" 6 times. Find other ways of saying the same thing.

I get why you are talking about flashpots and fog machines. You want people to know that this is a big presentation with high production values. Instead of telling people about the equipment you use, tell them how it will make them feel. If you have a production that feels magical because of all of those technical details, THAT is what you should be telling them.
Steve Russell

www.steverusselljuggles.com

Video Editing - www.GigReels.com
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Thanks a bunch guys, I really appriciate the tips. I need all the help I can get!
Bob.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
Overall, a nice looking website. Previous suggestions are good. The only thing I might add is that you may want to consider adding SHOWS and list what type of shows you offer. I don't know if you do birthday parties or not, but based on the information on the site, I would guess not. But you don't want your prospects having to guess, so why not list all the types of shows you offer, such as schools, libraries, trade shows, etc.?
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Thanks Robin4kids, very good idea, Thanks!
Bob.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Remember it is not so much about what you bring or how you make folks feel as it is how what YOU provide BENEFITS the client. That is what it really comes down to.

Why does any consumer buy anything? Because there is a need or a problem they need to solve. The business that can meet those needs with powerful solutions is the company that often gets the sale.

The same applies to what we do as magicians running our magic business. We need to learn what the needs are for the various markets we service and then not only tell folks the features of what we offer that helps them, but how it directly BENEFITS them as well. This is powerful marketing and it allows you to have a website that really sells to a prospect.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Hey Kyle,
I never really thought of it that way. what great insight. What you said makes a heck of a lot of sense. I do need to have a few changes made.
Thank you very much for taking the time share your knowledge.
Bob.
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Nothing sells a visual art like video.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Quote:
On 2013-11-26 19:32, iwillfoolu wrote:
Nothing sells a visual art like video.

Joey D

Joey, that´s true,
it amazes me that most of the people that called or send me an email regarding a show have not seen any video on the website.

I am thinking, why do you call a magician and ask him about his show if you can judge by yourself in the videos, odd!
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Another great idea, I do have a fewc dvd's of the show.
Thank you very much, Bob.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
676 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
The Photos page takes me to your About page. Also, this is totally not viewable nor enjoyable to view on mobile. Get a responsive design or fire your web designer if they can't provide a responsive design.

One more thing, how old are the photos? They look like they're from the eighties and if your prospects are in their late twenties and early thirties (like my prospects and me) they will be totally turned off by the photos. If the photos are current, get new photos of how enjoyable your show is.

Josh
Josh
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Hi Josh. I did hear from another buddy of mine who told me he was having trouble viewing it on his mobile device as well. Yep, some of the photos are pretty old. Your right, I need to get a few of those older ones replaced. I do think it could use some more work.
Thanks for your comments.
Bob.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
1. Get rid of the landing page part. They shouldn't have to click on the rope to see your website.

2. Where's your social proof? Event planners are asking themselves..."Why should I hire this guy over the one I just saw?" Social proof shows them that they're dealing with a pro

3. Your photos should be of you on stages, not a model style photo

4. Your "about" section shouldn't really be about you...it should sell you. It's much better to say something like "Dr. Delusion has been featured on (list any media appearances) and has performed for companies like (list your previous clients)

5. Past Clients: they shouldn't have to click on this to see it. This is your social proof so it should already be posted

6. Same goes for testimonials

7. Put "for availability" in the contact section. You want people to contact you with the mindset of "Is he available" rather than "How much do you cost?"
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Benji-Thank you very much for taking time to check the website and the tips. The website will be getting a make over soon. Your suggestions are very valuble and they are much appriciated.
Thanks again for your time, Bob.
BigDC
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of BigDC
I really like your site a lot. But there are some changes that could be made and they have already been touched on before....
* "Illusions" should NOT have an apostrophe
* Landing page is important,the information should remain constant until the page is changed
* Your copy can be improved by looking for different descriptive words. You repeat the word "show" 6 times. Find other ways of saying the same thing.
* I don't know if you do birthday parties or not, but based on the information on the site, I would guess not
* Nothing sells a visual art like video

As I said before, theose changes have already been mentioned. Make them and you should be good to go. I really like the overall design and scheme.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Finally have a Website. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL