The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's your favorite Chess app? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
My playing ability has recently jumped, probably because I have - for no discernable reason! - just relaxed at the board/computer and began seeing tactics much better. Impatience has always been my greatest enemy Smile

Anyway, I've got and Android phone and and Ipad Air, and would love to know some of your favorite chess apps - can be due to features, or due to "fun factor" (remember the old Battle Chess?), etc... Always looking for an interesting chess app.

I value

- realistic play (for example, at lower levels it doesn't play top level, only to make a horrendous move every X number of moves

- interesting UI, variety of boards/pieces, 'fun' features

- clear strength adjustments

Here's what I have, currently...

Android:

- Chess.com - this is mostly for online play, but I just play the computer. Kind of bland UI. Haven't played it much yet, but seems fairly strong. Free.

- Shredder Chess - really like this. Realistic opponent, even at lower levels, and engine can adjust automatically to your play, playing stronger of weaker game by game depending on how well you do. < $10

iPad:

- tChess Lite - only had a couple of days. Not bad at all. Bland UI and limited featuers, but it is free. Game seems good.

- Chess Pro - lots of features and board/piece combos, Chess Tiger engine by Christophe Theron, a few thousand games in a DB to play over. < $10

*****What is your favorite, or most interesting/fun chess app?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I play every day on my PC with NagaSkaki. It is a free program available at http:www.mayothi.com

Not sure if they make an app, though. Have you played NagaSkaki? It does have all of the features you mentioned.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Chess Free on the Android phone. It has adjustable difficulty levels, single or two player action, nothing fancy, at the higher levels it consistently beats me which probably is not saying a lot, and oh, did I mention it's free?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
For playing strength, Stockfish is probably the best free program. If you want to analyze games, I recommend SCID--also free. Don't know about on the phone, but on the PC you can have Stockfish as an analysis engine with SCID.

Of course, there are weekly downloads of master games at The Week in Chess.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Ooops, I was posting in view of apps for Android phone and Ipad Air, but I am very appreciative of the non-app suggestions. I've been somewhat out of the loop on both, actually.

Bob, I have not tried NagaSkaki, but will take a look very soon.

So thank you so much for all the suggestions!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
I don't like playing against computers, so I have no views if you're looking for a good app to play against.

But I do play against humans on FICS (the ancient "Free Internet Chess Server"), and Yafi (on Android) or iChessPack (on iOS) are good clients for FICS. Both clients are also compatible with the equally ancient, more popular, but less free ICC ("Internet Chess Club").

I also like having a collection of tactical puzzles around, for when I'm waiting in long lines or taking the subway. Tactics Trainer (Android, possibly also iOS) is good, although it requires an internet connection to work. There IS at least one collection of good tactical exercises that doesn't require an internet connection (and it's free, to boot), but I forget the name.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's your favorite Chess app? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL