The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Logo Design (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mikewarner
View Profile
Regular user
US
102 Posts

Profile of mikewarner
Hi All,

Just a message to say, if anyone is interested in having a fresh logo designed for their act, I'd gladly do it for them. I have years of experience in graphic design, and I offer fair prices too!
Let me know if you're interested - I can make a mockup before any decisions are made.

Best,

Mike
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I assume this isn't a paid ad and anyone can jump in here. I've recently had two logos designed from 99designs.com. I highly recommend them. For $300 a group of designers bids for your business, winner take all. In both cases I had my pick of a dozen designers and over 200 designs to choose from. I used them for both my OnlyEmailDesign.com site and my latest community.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I would never even do business that way. Not worth it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Just changed my avatar to the logo that I've been using for several years on my books, promo materials and products. It was originally just a photo of me that I converted to gray scale, posterized and then cut everything but the lines shown.

It cost me nothing and has worked out very well.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Did you use Photoshop? Would be interested in a few more details. Might be fun to play around with. I need an avatar!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I used Corel Photobook for that one. Now I use GIMP, which is an open license photo editor that does everything that you can do with Photoshop.

But Posterizing is a pretty standard effect included in photo manipulation programs.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks for putting me on to GIMP. Never heard of it. Will have to check it out. Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Everyone is a graphic artist in these days of computer graphics but I recall the old days when things were more difficult.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Me too tommy. Graphic Arts was my major in community college and I later obtained a BS in Printing Management after my military service. Back in the day, as they say, we did it with real typography, photographic processes, halftones and sophisticated and technical color separation photo and print technology.

Now all you need is a digital camera, Microsoft Word or similar with a large font library, PhotoShop, or GIMP, as Bob mentioned above, a decent printer and you can be a graphic artist. Pretty cool really.

I wonder how many folks can explain why magenta, cyan, yellow and black are the inks used on modern electronic printers? Without Googling it that is. Smile Then again, maybe kids are taught in elementary school today the principles of color theory. What do I know? Smile

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well I part owned lithographic printing business once but I am not a printer. I just know a bit about it from helping out there from time to time. I don't know but I would say they the colous used for four colour separation process work as opposed to spot work. Ah but do you know how to print a fake water mark?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Spot color and four color are two entirely different setups. Spot color uses only two press cylinders with only "spot" registration. Process color is science and craft, four press cylinders; "hairline" registration of all four print cylinders and numerous other variables.

Since the watermark is in the paper, I'm not sure a "printed" watermark would escape my trained eye. Especially with a good loupe. But I have no doubt you know how it's done. Smile Interested in knowing your secret if you wish to PM. Smile

mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-11-29 22:09, Bob1Dog wrote:

...Now all you need is a digital camera, Microsoft Word or similar with a large font library, PhotoShop, or GIMP, as Bob mentioned above, a decent printer and you can be a graphic artist. Pretty cool really.

Those are all you need to manipulate and create graphics. Whether or not the end result is art is a different question entirely. It still requires an eye for composition, etc. Programs will do whatever you tell them to do. The art is in knowing what to tell them.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Couldn't agree with you more. The artist creates with an artistic eye. But in the old days, you still needed to understand the process, limits and limitations. Today, there aren't the same limitations, which permits a creative person to become a graphic artist on his/her PC in the comforts of home.

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
I can cook a meal in the kitchen, but it doesn't make me a chef.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
But you could be if you wanted to be and you tried hard to be one.

motown
View Profile
Inner circle
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Bob, I'm glad you think it's that easy to be a graphic artist. I'll send you my next project, well see if you can cut it.
– Karl Germain
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
It seems that a lot of folks think they are graphic designers because they know how to use graphic design software. The sorry evidence can be seen everywhere.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Who ever made them moody back yard photos should have got the sack.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-11-30 19:07, motown wrote:
Bob, I'm glad you think it's that easy to be a graphic artist. I'll send you my next project, well see if you can cut it.

You completely misunderstod my message. I'm not saying it's easy to be a graphic artist. Re-read my posts. All I'm saying is that if one has the creativity and the desire to learn and endure hard work, one can learn to be a graphic artist at home. It's about skill and creativity and that's a natural talent.

Me? I studied graphic arts, graduated from college with honors and a degree in printing management forty years ago! Don't assume I'm presenting myself as a graphic artist. I'm not! Back then graphic arts was printing technology and all that went with it.

Yikes. Sorry if I offended you.

magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
So easy for folks to get offended here. I am also a graphic artist professional. I studied at Tyler School of art (Temple University) for 5 years for a double degree in Graphic design and another in Illustration. I love what I do and I enjoy working with folks on their customized communication systems. can anyone be a desigfner, maybe yes and maybe no. I know I was born with art talent. however, I had to go to college to really learn the skills and skill ste si needed to do what I do every day. if I did not have that, I would not be where I am at present day. Liek any profession, you have to learn and often learn form others.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Logo Design (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL