We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Badge (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zentao
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of zentao
Ok, so having read through a lot of posts here, I was thinking about taking to the streets and trying my hand at busking. A lot of advice seems to be "learn by doing - put yourself out there and you'll soon find what works and what doesn't".
I decided to check out if my home town had any busking regulations in place, and it turns out that it does. In order to obtain a busking badge you have to apply and audition (free of charge).
This surprised me a bit, has anyone else come across this practice?
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Quote:
On 2013-11-28 17:52, zentao wrote:
Ok, so having read through a lot of posts here, I was thinking about taking to the streets and trying my hand at busking. A lot of advice seems to be "learn by doing - put yourself out there and you'll soon find what works and what doesn't".
I decided to check out if my home town had any busking regulations in place, and it turns out that it does. In order to obtain a busking badge you have to apply and audition (free of charge).
This surprised me a bit, has anyone else come across this practice?

I've heard of busking permits but never a busking badge.
If there is a proper badge, I want one!
zentao
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of zentao
Lol.
Not sure if they actually award a real badge or not but that is the phrase they use on the application form.
Have you ever had to audition to get permission to go busking?
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
They issued badges (buttons) at the Tucson street festival a few years ago. It simply allows enforcers to know you're legit and have jumped thru all the hoops - all from a safe distance.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Faulkner
View Profile
Loyal user
New Orleans
249 Posts

Profile of Faulkner
A few cities and many private areas go with badges, that way if you are a problem it is taken from you, easy legal move.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Providence wanted me to apply, but they didn't ask that I audition.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
zentao
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of zentao
I'm working on a street routine with shells and fast and loose, my original plan was just to set up and 'play' with the shells in a few prominent areas without actually busking per se, just to get used to running my routines outside and in front of people, if people stop and watch great, if not no worries.

I guess if I'm not asking for tips and I'm not encouraging anyone to 'play' then no-one can stop me doing my thing?

Or do I get my routine down pat, audition and work for tips from the get go?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'd do the audition.

If you try the shell game and NOT have a permit, you might run the risk of being arrested for illegal gambling.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2128 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
When you get one, do me a fav & post a pic of it on here. I want to see it!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
zentao
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of zentao
No worries, it'll be after Christmas though.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The "badge" will silently tell the authorities "I'm an entertainer. I have permission to do this. Go bother someone else."
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 19:27, Devious wrote:
"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!"

Alfonso Bedoya!
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Quote:
On 2013-11-28 18:44, zentao wrote:
Lol.
Not sure if they actually award a real badge or not but that is the phrase they use on the application form.
Have you ever had to audition to get permission to go busking?

I've been kicked off property for not getting paperwork- I've never auditioned, however.

(Correction)
I've auditioned for one or two mall gigs- they just asked to see a trick and for a few references of where I'd performed before.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking Badge (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL