The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Sketch o magic with animals? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I have a sketch o magic that I use in my kids shows. Somewhere I saw someone perform a sketch o magic but instead of the pictures of faces it had animal pictures. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? Thanks

mark
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
You can always make your own. I made one with monster faces.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
If I am not mistaken the same effect with animals is called "critter knitter"
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Cool. I've made 3 sketch-o-magic type books with monster faces. I call it, "Monster Mash", "Sketch-O-Matic-Monster Mash". The idea behind sketch-o-magic is based on sketch-o-matic. I remember getting one in a cereal box when I was a child.

Maybe once I find a good printer I'll sell my version with monster faces. Or sell the art work and how to make your own. All the art work is original art work and not stolen clipart from the internet. The routine I use with it is a different than the routine you get with sketch-o-magic, and is great for Halloween shows.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
"sketch-o-matic-monster Mash" sounds interesting.

Thanks for the heads up on "critter knitter".
MickNZ
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
576 Posts

Profile of MickNZ
Quote:
On 2013-11-30 10:27, Danny Kazam wrote:
Maybe once I find a good printer I'll sell my version with monster faces.

It's not your trick to sell. It was invented by David Garrard and Samuel Patrick Smith owns the rights.
John Breeds
View Profile
Veteran user
England
336 Posts

Profile of John Breeds

Here’s a cheap version of Sketch O Magic. I say cheap because the whole the thing costs less than 5 bucks. But the effect is just as good as the real thing.

The above drawing shows a woolly hat, a carbon paper type magic board, and a TT that has a stud glued to the end. Hide the TT just inside the hat.

Say to child that you are going to see how good they are at guessing. Pick up Drawing board and pretend to write something (without child seeing).
Pick up woolly hat with LH and insert RH thumb into TT.
Slip woolly hat over drawing board. The position now is that you hold the drawing surface towards your chest, holding the whole thing at finger tips.

Ask child to say aloud a simple name or shape. And then write it on a piece of card.
Meanwhile, you write the name or shape on the drawing board “through” the woolly hat. The woolly hat has enough give in it to allow you to write through it.

Child reveals the name, say it’s ‘Bob’. Then you slowly remove your drawing board from the hat to show that the child has accurately guessed what you had written.

The effect is stunning.

John
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On 2013-12-01 01:33, MickNZ wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-11-30 10:27, Danny Kazam wrote:
Maybe once I find a good printer I'll sell my version with monster faces.

It's not your trick to sell. It was invented by David Garrard and Samuel Patrick Smith owns the rights.

How can he own the rights to the flip/body/image book? Did he get permission from the original inventor of the book, or it's original publisher? The concept behind the flip book that changes either faces or body parts is public domain.

Even the method used to force a picture is NOT owned by those you mentioned. Nothing behind the book was invented by those people. The idea to use the flip book does not constitute invention, nor does it give them legal ownership on their idea.

My Monster flip book has their whole bodies, uses the same method somewhat like the coloring book to make the force, and the force can be changed. You don't alway have to use the same image.

I think an ebook with my original art work would be how I release it.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
And some credit would have to go to Changeable Charlie!

Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
The children's flip book has been around for ages. Even Crayola has a version that kids can color.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Changing the name to, "Mix & Match Monster Mash" based on the same concept as many other mix and match flip books for children. With my concept, you can change your predicting for repeat shows, giving you the choice of 3 different monsters to predict from.

I will try to post a picture. Tried once already but didn't work.
Samuel Patrick Smith
View Profile
New user
Eustis, Florida
9 Posts

Profile of Samuel Patrick Smith
Thanks so much to Mick Peck for pointing out that Sketch-O-Magic is a David Garrard invention and a product that I produce and sell. David came up with this great idea in the 1990s and asked me to market it. My small contribution was coming up with the name, Sketch-O-Magic. We began producing it in 1997. It has been in production ever since. Such great people as Mac King have endorsed it. For information about this effect, see http://www.spsmagic.com/products/sketch-o-magic.

Our company, SPS Magic, is open to producing other versions of the effect. Always feel free to message me through Magic Café or send an email through my website at http://www.spsmagic.com.

As esther_scheffer mentioned, we created another version of Sketch-O-Magic called Critter Knitter with animal pictures (http://www.spsmagic.com/products/critter-knitter). Selina Frederick drew the artwork for this. It was quite a feat to make everything match up, but she did a beautiful job. We also produced a version of Sketch-O-Magic with a different prediction picture, plus a pocket size of the effect. In short, we haven't attempted to keep it a secret that we have produced and marketed this great product!

I'm always happy to hear from anyone with new ideas. We own a printshop and bindery, and are open to producing new effects that fit in with our line of kid-show and family magic. We have a great team of people who design, print, and package our products. About 90% of my children's show is made up of effects that we produce.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
I enjoy the sketch-o-magic and get good reactions from it, was glad to see the animal version and plan to purchase it sometime in the near future. Its always nice to hear from those who create good products.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Samuel,

Could you please clarify what part of the mix/match flip book was invented by David Garrad? Also, could you please also clarify who invented the method of the force used with sketch-o-magic? And, what idea exactly was David Garrands?

I have a mix/match flip book using monsters that I am going to share with the public. It's based on the mix/match flip books of my youth and still common today.

I decided to create my own after purchasing sketch-o-matic, and being inspired to create a monster version. However, I came up with a different way to force a picture, and I believe I also created a new and unique routine for it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Sketch o magic with animals? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL