The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Deans Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I have a show coming up in two weeks for about 45 children ages 5 to 12.
Do you think Deans Box would go over well?
Have always done it for adult shows.
Txs, Charlie
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
No.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2267 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-11-30 00:54, Bob1Dog wrote:
No.
I agree.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
By all means do it. But it depends on your presentation. The magical effect will appeal more to the older ones than the younger ones but if your presentation is fun the younger ones will enjoy it

I see why Bob and Michael would say "NO" as the effect is a tad abstract but older children do appreciate good strong magic.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2403 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
No.
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1495 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
If you can sell it
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6950 Posts

Profile of bowers
I would just stick to rope
effect's such as cut and restore.
Or professor's nightmare.
Todd
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
10-12 year old group maybe, but the younger kids will be lost. Anything abstract is lost on younger kids. They will have no idea what happened. It will make perfect sense to them for the ropes to suddenly be linked after all they were, at least in part, out of view for a while. They cannot follow the logic involved. It is the same reason so many card tricks fail with this age, they just can't follow it. Magic needs to be straight forward, simple, visual, and without concepts they have to follow or remember.

Dean's box is a great routine. Not certain what age it would start working for. That is a good question. 5-9 year old is too young.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I don't think it's a very good trick to start with, seeing as there are ways to link and unlink ropes without a big ol' box. To me, it's a puzzle at best. But the bottom line is, can you make it FUN for them!? For kids, fun is more important than the magic. Strong magic + fun = great trick.
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
Have to agree with Starrpower, kids don't just want magic, they want fun magic. Kids just want fun period. Great magic is sometimes lost on kids because they were simply bored, and a less than stellar magic piece can go over extremely great if presented in a fun entertaining routine. That doesn't mean, in my opinion, that you have to play the clown and boink yourself in the head with every prop you have. But it does mean you have to be very creative and develop a routine that is fun. A standard presentation of the deans box would be boring, even for 10 - 12 year olds. Make it fun. I do think Dean's box is a great routine, even though the routine could be done without the box. I think, if presented properly, the box can add an element of mystery to the routine. It gives the impression that it is not just slight of hand, but that something magical and mysterious is happening inside the box. People always want to see behind closed doors, see into the unknown, the box creates an element of the unknown, if you play that up. Just my thoughts.
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
I don't think it will work for the younger kids.
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
577 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
It's a no for me.
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
451 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I vote no for kids. Waaaaaaaaayyy too many "for sure" kids tricks out there to gamble on one.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
418 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
No.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
No. I would recommend 12 years old and up. Preferably teenagers with respect for magic, adults.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2403 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
You asked if this would go over "well." Dean's box is great but not for children. It is too abstract. You are doing a linking effect behind closed doors so to speak. It is just not visual enough for children. Sure you spell out how impossible it is, but I think to a child's mind, once it goes out of sight, they just stop caring so much. Just my opinion.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I want to thank everyone who responded to my question.
The idea I get from some other friends..not magicians..is that it is too much of a puzzle rather than magic.
I will not use it.
Thanks again everyone,
Charlie
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Since your original question, I put on my thinking cap and have come up with a routine that would play for children aged 6 and upwards.
interviewer
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of interviewer
I shouldn't bother. The show is in two weeks. And it takes time to learn new material. And since even Quentin has never performed his dreamed up version yet I would suggest charliemagic work on something else. This is not to say that Quentin's idea will not work. It is just that there is not enough time to learn it properly and to make matters worse it is an untested routine. You can sometimes drown in uncharted waters.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2013-12-02 15:21, interviewer wrote:
. You can sometimes drown in uncharted waters.

And you can sometimes make discoveries beyond your wildest imagination!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Deans Box (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL