The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Exposure by Asi Wind (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Yeah the P move issue was helped on, now I am struggling with the PF. Been doing card magic for at least 12 years but could not get a PF down. my TF is great however I could never do the little card pop out pick a card gag. Im a lefty but handle cards like a righty. NOT like Bill Malone, he handles like a lefty.
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
I am so happy to be promoted because of my
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
CtoC = cheek to cheek
There Is No Revolution Without Evolution
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Paisa - I'm a lefty that handles right-handed as well! I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling with the PF - like I've said before, I find the TF works just fine. The PF is definitely a knacky move - took me at least 6 months of dedicated practice each day for a few minutes before I finally got it down. I'd been toying with it before then for a few years as well - don't know why it is so hard for some and so easy for others....
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Yeah I gotcha. Working more with the tf...
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
The effect is starting to come together.
Sashac
View Profile
Inner circle
1033 Posts

Profile of Sashac
Hey guys, Here is an idea, I think it would take this effect to new heights with a logical ending.
Here is my idea, you would just have to use the camera bit in between it:
(FILMED THIS A FEW YEARS BACK, SORRY FOR THE HAIRCUT AND ALL AROUND EVERYTHING)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCfBqYOblug
cbmar
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of cbmar
I couldn't believe that this doesn't use a cheek to cheek deck!
I didn't buy it at first because I was so certain that it did.
(In fact, I thought the ads had a very loose definition of "impromptu")
I was totally mistaken though.
It's brilliant!
I only perform it with borrowed decks though. Just so there's no question that it's completely ungaffed.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
This weekend I did this a little differently - I used a presentation using patter about augmented reality, etc. and did the effect with the photo. AFTER the photo reveal, when they thought the effect was over, I casually spread through the deck talking about how crazy it was as obviously the cards themselves are still mixed. I then added some extra patter, but essentially put in time misdirection with the deck on the table, had them snap their fingers and spread the deck themselves to have the triumph play out in their hands 'in reality.' This played as an afterthought - a second effect after the first part was over, and the whole routine absolutely killed.

I later asked them what they saw me do when I performed this trick. The perception was literally this: "I thought of a card. You mixed the cards face up and face down, and took a picture of me holding that mess in my hands so you could see them all mixed up. When I named my card and you snapped your fingers, the photo changed so only my card was face up in the photo! Then, without you touching the deck again, I snapped my fingers and the cards actually turned face down, except my selection! You didn't do a single thing except shuffle and fan the cards!"

How do you follow that?! Smile
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Quote:
On 2014-01-07 12:55, cbmar wrote:
I couldn't believe that this doesn't use a cheek to cheek deck!
I didn't buy it at first because I was so certain that it did.
(In fact, I thought the ads had a very loose definition of "impromptu")
I was totally mistaken though.
It's brilliant!
I only perform it with borrowed decks though. Just so there's no question that it's completely ungaffed.

Can it be done the same with a cheek to cheek? When does the spectator name a card? Is it a thought of card or a card chosen from the deck? It was kind of unclear in the David Blaine special. It seemed to me in the David Blaine performance that the kid named the card after the photo had been taken. What is the actual sequence of when card is thought of or chosen?
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1388 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
TCB, surely by now you've expended in time and energy more than the 11 dollars that it costs to just buy the thing and learn it first hand.
It's all in the reflexes.
TCB
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of TCB
Point taken Illucifer
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
I just have to add... I know this thread is old. But I just did it to some co-workers at lunch. And they swear that I hacked their phones and installed an app on their phone. What's even crazier is with the cards still being messed in my hands. They wanted to check the deck. But with the cards messed up. They were even more thrown for a loop. Because I still didn't know what their selected card was.

I will say one thing. I did have this situation where the spec turned the cards towards them to look during the picture. Because the camera was taking too long too start smh
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Yes, it does help to manage that a little. You can hold onto the fan until it is loaded and ready to go, and then pass it off. You can also just keep a hand on it while it loads after you've passed it off. It also helps to just keep talking with them so there's no "dead time" to lose their focus. Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2772 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I hold the fan. Tell them to take a picture of me and them at the last minute say "wait" you hold the fan and I'll take a picture of you"
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2014, Xcath1 wrote:
I hold the fan. Tell them to take a picture of me and them at the last minute say "wait" you hold the fan and I'll take a picture of you"

Ah I like that approach alot!! Thanks for the tip.
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
402 Posts

Profile of Magic1
It seems like learning Harkey/Anderson's "Shufflesque" is highly recommended for this great-sounding trick. Does anyone know of a video of shufflesque? I'd love to see that false in-the-hands shuffle in action so I can estimate the necessary learning curve for double exposure. Thanks guys!
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Yeah, Oz Pearlman uses the Anderson "Shufflesque" in this demo for his Emerge Triumphant - http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/794

(There's also a nice variation by Guy Hollingworth in Drawing Room Deceptions for his Triumph). Honestly though, I prefer it with the faro. Not only can you use it here, but you can use it in some other wonderful effects as well once you know the principle. The learning curve, imo, isn't too high - it will take a light grip and a little knack getting the hand position right, but otherwise it is fairly mechanical in nature. Just my 2 cents.
jpleddington
View Profile
Loyal user
Lewisburg, PA
294 Posts

Profile of jpleddington
FWIW, the faro never needs to be perfect for this effect to work. You can just weave the cards together and it works brilliantly.

A good pressure fan is probably helpful, though.

In the end, this is one of the very best effects I have purchased, simply because it is so strong and relatively easy to perform. And it's even better if you have a good cull.

Jason
philosophy & magic
www.jasonleddington.net
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4145 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Is this streaming video only? Not a download?

I really would like to be able to download. I like to watch magic downloads at my lake cabin and I don't have internet there.

Can this be downloaded?

KJ
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2772 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Just want to add I Faro and then use the bridge from shufflesque to accomplish the final position prior to the fan

Dan and Dave videos are annoyingly stream only
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Exposure by Asi Wind (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL