The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Exposure by Asi Wind (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, Xcath1 wrote:
Just want to add I Faro and then use the bridge from shufflesque to accomplish the final position prior to the fan

Dan and Dave videos are annoyingly stream only

OK, I guess I'm out. If I can't view the video anywhere I want, I'm not interested.

What happens if they go out of business? You lose any videos you purchased?

KJ
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
^^ Great question ^^

Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, jpleddington wrote:
FWIW, the faro never needs to be perfect for this effect to work. You can just weave the cards together and it works brilliantly.

A good pressure fan is probably helpful, though.

In the end, this is one of the very best effects I have purchased, simply because it is so strong and relatively easy to perform. And it's even better if you have a good cull.

Jason

Totally agree!! There are times where I get a bad faro shuffle. And have to mix the cards myself. But my faro has come a long way. Now it's way better then before.

This might have been talked about before. But I never have done phase 2 yet. I just feel it's way more powerful.

I had a spec over the weekend drop the cards after I took a picture. So I went on about how the trick had failed. And then at the last moment told them there might be a way to fix the trick. Then revealed the picture.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I don't take the "I failed" presentation - but I give a hesitation to let them think I've failed before I say to check the phone. I use an "augmented reality" presentation. Most of the time I end there. However, I have sometimes spread AFTER the reveal to show how the cards are still mixed and how crazy it is, etc. (all done out of the "presentation" frame, so it's not part of the "effect"). Then I set the cards down, get some time misdirection, and ask them if they'd like to turn augmented reality into reality. I have them put the cards in their hands, snap their fingers, etc. to do the magic themselves, and spread the cards. When they see the deck righted again, they freak out big time. Most of the time though I stop after the first "phase" and only move to the second if the moment seems right.

Even still, this trick is top of my list - I love performing it.
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, sgtgrey wrote:
I don't take the "I failed" presentation - but I give a hesitation to let them think I've failed before I say to check the phone. I use an "augmented reality" presentation. Most of the time I end there. However, I have sometimes spread AFTER the reveal to show how the cards are still mixed and how crazy it is, etc. (all done out of the "presentation" frame, so it's not part of the "effect"). Then I set the cards down, get some time misdirection, and ask them if they'd like to turn augmented reality into reality. I have them put the cards in their hands, snap their fingers, etc. to do the magic themselves, and spread the cards. When they see the deck righted again, they freak out big time. Most of the time though I stop after the first "phase" and only move to the second if the moment seems right.

Even still, this trick is top of my list - I love performing it.

Yea I think I saw your post before. And I love that idea though. I think I just to work on my culling before I get to that phase really.

But I usually start fixing/showing the cards are still mixed up and how the only way the trick could of work is be drugging them the day before and bring them to the same during the same time of the day. And take pictures of them. I think I got that from the David Blaine performance. I think Will Smith is the one that said it.

I only went with the failed presentation because the girl dropped all of the cards. Almost blaming her for messing up the trick.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
1kj: I agree with you and feel the same way about stream only video. I try and avoid them. Once you learn this though you will not need to go watch it again, unlike some videos.

I have been presenting the first phase only. As I look at the picture I tell them
"your" card is slowly becoming clear to me"
"it was black yes?"
"it was a spade yes" "A club, oh yes know I see, it is becoming sharper (as I fiddle with the zoom on the picture)"
"I see the 6 of clubs, you don't believe me, tell me what you see (as I hand them the phone)"
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Agree with you on the point that once you've learned it. You'll probably never see the video again. Because it uses very simple ideas. That you've probably learned before and just need to some brushing up. Faro shuffle is probably the hardest part of the trick to learn really.

Another question I have for everyone. Is anyone doing the advance side jog/shuffle he shows in video? I never attempted to learn it.
BigJRitch
View Profile
New user
Fort Smith, ARK
22 Posts

Profile of BigJRitch
Difficulty level? Beginner here with about 3 months of card handling.

(Don't pick on the new guy please! ) Smile
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
I would say a beginner could pick this up pretty quickly. Because I'm beginner myself. But from what I've heard from other magicians is that I'm a little advance for your typical 3 month guy. I'd get it if I were you.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I'd still say get it, even as a beginner. You can avoid some sleights by doing a setup beforehand, and the key "move" you need you can do variants that aren't too tough (I learned them first week in magic, actually) so you can perform "right away" while you learn the more advanced stuff.

I use the advanced version w/ the faro, but I've been using that for awhile now with a few other effects, so it wasn't new to me.

I also have variants on this effect where no card is selected from the deck that are technically more difficult, but give a nice "thought of" card revelation.

This is a real nice way to practice a Roadrunner cull or similar as well for the 2nd phase if you want since the heat is off the deck during the crucial moment. For that reason alone it's worth learning and using, I think.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2014, Xcath1 wrote:
1kj: I agree with you and feel the same way about stream only video. I try and avoid them. Once you learn this though you will not need to go watch it again, unlike some videos.

I have been presenting the first phase only. As I look at the picture I tell them
"your" card is slowly becoming clear to me"
"it was black yes?"
"it was a spade yes" "A club, oh yes know I see, it is becoming sharper (as I fiddle with the zoom on the picture)"
"I see the 6 of clubs, you don't believe me, tell me what you see (as I hand them the phone)"

Thanks for the input. I did get it, and I see what you mean. There was nothing difficult, and it's a good routine. However, the first few times I did it after viewing, their card kept coming up facing the wrong direction. I had to watch it again. Not a problem, but if I don't perform this for a year and then decide to do it again, I would probably have to take a look at the video as a refresher. It is just about a thousand times more convenient to view it in my computer folder that has all the rest of my downloads. Also, if they decide to close shop, it's gone. I'm glad I purchased this, because I really do like the effect, but likely won't purchase very many streaming downloads.

KJ
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
One thing you can do to get over this (I know it isn't quite convenient, but it does help) is to record a short video for yourself to remind you of the routine. I often take "video notes" of a routine along with some written notes to remind me of my thoughts and ideas in regard to a particular routine that I will use. It helps to have that material to reference in the future, and it is nice to see what MY thinking was on a particular idea. I much prefer to download the videos as well, but I still think this one was worth it!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Sgtgrey,
Thank you. That is a great idea. I agree that this one was worth it.
KJ
hellohiashley
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of hellohiashley
I purchased this and had totally forgot all about it. I think I remember trying it out and struggling on the fan. My day off tomorrow will give me loads of time to learn it! Thanks all for the tips!
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
I know this thread is old, but you can get Browser plug ins that allow you to download videos from YouTube to watch later. I found this works just fine with the Dan and Dave videos also.
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
The turnover part of the trick drove me insane at first. It wasn't until I was on this thread that I saw post about remembering to turn it over. But I never forget that part because it drove me so crazy watching the video over and over. Shocking how easy it is to miss that small detail.
setsuna83
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of setsuna83
Hi been trying out this trick for quite some time but still struggle with that crucial part where you have to do a faro and do the side **g. any alternative ideas on how to get that side **g as well so that it can be done with "not so new" cards as well? beenplaying around for a few days and trying to get an alternative method to it but not much luck so far...Smile
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Sure, check the thread for a few optional ways to do it that others have mentioned. However, I stress that you learn how to do it as shown. The quality of cards should not matter - if you can faro them reasonably well, you should also be able to do the necessary move (glue or other sticky stuff on the surface of the cards withstanding). It does take some practice as it is a knack, but once you get it you can do it anytime.
notque
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of notque
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2013, TCB wrote:
What I don't understand about Blaine's effect was he took the picture, and after he did then he asked Will smith's kid to name a card, and if he wanted to change it. doesn't a card have to be chosen by the spectator at the beginning? Did I miss something?

You did. I'm not going to reveal it but it's fairly obvious what happened.
notque
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of notque
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2013, Pasteboard Alchemist wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-21 10:35, TCB wrote:
If this is based on the Triumph effect, how would you perform it without the spectator choosing a card. He takes the picture before any card was chosen or named. Then he asks the kid if he wants to change it. Maybe the kid was semi in on it. Or maybe I'm just baffled as I should be, not knowing the method

Sgtgrey is correct that it is possible to work out a "thought of" card version, which essentially boils down to doing one of many "just think of card" effects that are a f**ce/limited f**ce and using Double Exposure as a revelation tool (with one small change to the process that isn't difficult at all.) It seems like BMWGuy also has figured out a working as well. While not shown/discussed on the download, it's not impossible by any means.

That being noted, I would say without a moment's hesitation that Blaine performed it exactly as provided by Asi, but with different patter. The decision they made to cut in at the middle of the trick is proof enough of that for me. I applaud them for doing it, though, because I've used patter similar to what I expect Blaine used during the selection, and I've flat out heard spectators re-tell the story as "I was thinking of a card, and only the one I was thinking of is backwards!" when showing the photo to friends. If that's how the spectators remember it, then I see no issue in Blaine editing it to provide the same experience to the viewer.

I will flat-out say, however, that spectator can not change their mind post-photo and still have the effect end as intended. This is simply Blaine having the stones to then offer up that the spectator can change and banking on the fact that he won't (which we all have done many, many times). What would he have done if Jayden had changed his card? Left the trick on the editing room floor. Let's not forget that having a pool of hits and misses and being able to cherry pick is fantastic thing, but rarely reflects how your working experience of the effect will go 100% of the time. Not unlike Blaine's Steven Hawking trick from the same special. The moment Hawking named his card, I burst out laughing and said "You lucky ***!"

There's nothing of importance cut from the Blaine trick, he did it exactly has he intended, and you can see what he did clearly in the video.

You can even see him hide a smirk when what he did worked. He was very happy with himself, and let it slip a bit.

But clearly if this didn't work, he would have had an out, and showed a version with someone else where it did work. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Great trick.

I use a Dani DaOrtiz version of what he did personally.
tominospizza
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of tominospizza
New to the forum, and I've relaly enjoyed reading through your comments about this effect. I just picked it up yesterday, the reason I delayed so much is because I'm a lefty and wasn't sure if this would work in my hands without my making some adjustments.

For what it's worth, I have found that using the shuffle sequence from Josh Jays 'Trumped Triumph' works well for me.

Obviously, feel free to delete this comment if it is deemed as exposure.

Looking forward to using the forums!

Tom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Double Exposure by Asi Wind (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL