The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is China Marker? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brent Allan
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
415 Posts

Profile of Brent Allan
I have seen ads for Swamis and NWs that use China Marker. I have checked art supply stores and craft stores, and nobody seems to have any idea what it is.

So, what is it?
Turn your business card into a relentless salesperson that brings you business!

http://www.TransformYourBusinesscard.com
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Oh, suddenly I don't feel so well. "China marker" has passed into the same column we now find LPs and Camaro and...

I am getting old and this is the unassailable proof.

China markers are pencils that have a waxy substance in the place of lead. They write on just about anything, including glass and China -- as in dishes, not the country. Hence, the name: China marker.

China markers are still being manufactured though. (I guess the argument could be made that so are horse whips.)

Sanford is probably the biggest name. Office supply stores should carry them.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Sometimes they are called "grease pencils." They are often sold as a pencil with a "lead" that, instead of being encased in wood, is encased in tightly wrapped paper. There is normally a string enveloped in the casing hat, when pulled, tears a small slit in the outer paper covering. A small width of paper may then be uncoiled to reveal an additional amount of the "lead" in lieu of sharpening. You may find these at hardware stores, usually in black and sometimes red or yellow. I believe that this is also the material identified as a "Listo" writer.
ekozuch
View Profile
Veteran user
argentina
329 Posts

Profile of ekozuch
What kind of advantage give this "china marker" comparaing with ths normal pencil lead?
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Ekozuch,

Darker and Thicker. Can casually pass for a Sharpie in appearance. China Marker NW's are therefore a good option for stage work.

MS
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Just to bore everyone....
A long,long time ago, many many years before the World of PC's in the work place. I worked in a sales department for a major UK Electronics Company.
.We had a system of displaying current stock position and availability of products that could be viewed by the telesales people as they spoke on the phone.
It entailed a large perspex sheet about 6ftx6ft behind which was a white backing sheet with a grid drawn "a la" an Excel Worksheet of today. The relevent details were written in the appropriate boxes, a.k.a
"cells",in China Marker of various colours. One thing useful was that with a damp cloth "cells"could be wiped out and up-dated.

I'd better stop now its bringing back old memories and making me feel my age.

Howard
benrl
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of benrl
What's the difference between a 'china marker's' lead and Listo Lead?

Both are presumably used in NW's.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-27 17:05, benrl wrote:
What's the difference between a 'china marker's' lead and Listo Lead?

Both are presumably used in NW's.

Listo marking pencils use essentially the same waxy material, though Listo is the only refillable I have seen. The China markers I have in the kitchen drawer peel away to reveal more marking tip.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
China markers can be found at office supply stores. I got a box of them at Office Depot.
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi Guys
Will a Listo marker in a NW pass as a Dry Erase Marker on a dry erase board.
Thanks Dave
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-30 17:52, Hypno wrote:
Hi Guys
Will a Listo marker in a NW pass as a Dry Erase Marker on a dry erase board.

Well, it depends on how you write using a regular dry erase marker. I haven't had a Listo refill in my paws in a while, but I measured the china marker I have from Sanford (the type you can by by the dozen in Office Depot for four or five bucks.) It's 5mm wide.

So, if you cut the thing down, I suppose you could get 5 or 6mm width out of it.

A couple of things you may want to consider: do you need to mix the two (a dry erase tip in your NW is not out of the question); will the differences really matter from the distance you will perform; and might writing it all in china marker be a workable idea?

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Thanks John
The idea of writing it all in china marker is a great idea. I did think of trying to make a dry erase NW but I think it may be quite a messy job and would need regular replacment unless you know a better way.
Once again Thanks
Dave
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2003-12-30 21:48, Hypno wrote:
The idea of writing it all in china marker is a great idea. I did think of trying to make a dry erase NW but I think it may be quite a messy job and would need regular replacment unless you know a better way.

No pain, no gain, my friend. Smile

But that's why I stated "possible." Personally, I wouldn't bother. There's a point of diminishing returns when it comes to perfecting a trick. Murdering a dry erase marker minutes before using it's dead carcass certainly qualifies (in my opinion, anyway) as diminishing returns.

As for the general thinking on NW, I'd point you to Richard Osterlind's DVD set. I have to tell you, his thinking on this stuff is so valuable. Consider he's been doing this stuff longer than a lot of Café members have been on the planet. Smile

I think Richard and Jim's website still has a great deal on them if you haven't gotten a set yet. $100 postpaid for the 4 DVD set. Can't recommend them enough, truly.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX

Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Thanks John
I do not have the Osterlind DVDs yet so I will certainly check them out.
Thanks once again.
Dave
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Two advantages of the "listo" type markers are you can use a nailwriter with one (of course)(see my friend, Mark Strivings for buying one), but they also don't "bleed" through paper like a marking pen will. This is important in routines line my "Steno ESP".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is China Marker? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL