The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test Mentalism (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of dusty
Quote:
On 2013-12-01 02:38, saysold1 wrote:
Tom makes some great points. However if you listen to exactly what the op said in his video, the context as to why he liked his book are never spoken nor revealed. It was simply stated, which to me made the statement stand out as suspicious.

If he liked the book then why?

That was exactly the point I was making, although not quite so eloquently! If you refer to the book being special you need to clarify why.

As to the point about the use of the book being remembered. When I am in company and am asked what I thought about a performance shown recently on Television, I always deny seeing it and ask them what happened.....It rarely matches the performance I witnessed.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I think there is a certain level of consensus that it is fine to indicate that a book is special, but that this statement MUST be supported by the "why"? This is important because the justification should support the story or the plot of your presentation. I also think, to a certain extent, the introduction of a comment about the significance of a book, is a matter of personal preference. There is no one absolute right or wrong answer---this would be a good topic of discussion at a future mentalism seminar or conference. A very interesting and debatable topic, indeed!

Regards,
Mike
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Sealegs-

Good analysis, I think. The point is that presentational points like this this are things that many performers often don't even consider when developing a script. There are no completely "right" answers because so much depends on the premise of the routine and the persona of the mentalist.

Wnen you understand who your character is, what his abilities are, and the consistent ways that they may be demonstrated, then the answers become much clearer.
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
Thank you for so many great thoughts, this made me think again about the whole routine. With regards to the putting attention to the book - I decided to mention that it's special to me, because the premise of the effect was the use of intuition. I like sometimes to just live some hints and than allow the spectator/viewer fill in the gaps. Everyone has different experience and different beliefs when it comes to intuition. So I thought, showing something strange without giving much of explanation would make everyone fill in the gaps according to his/her particular experience. But I agree that perhaps I should have developed the 'process' part a bit more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test Mentalism (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL