The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible Deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
MagicPresident
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MagicPresident
What is your favorite effect(s) and where can I learn them?
MAGIC HAPPENS !
blindbo
View Profile
Special user
Bucks County, PA
790 Posts

Profile of blindbo
Send $1,000 cash with a self addressed stamped envelope to.... Smile

Recently, there are two. I learned them from Rich Marotta vid Vol 1: Lasso Card Trick and Card in Orange. (A bonus to this vid is his excellent "Mugged" routine)

Both are good for at least 5 minutes each and you will fool the pants off everyone!

Oh, reading the post following mine and the title of your topic, you meant Invisible deck effects....my error, but the two effects I listed are still good!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Bill Malone's presentation is an absolute killer for stand up. I did it at a comedy club to close my set and received a standing ovation! It's on his On The Loose Volume 3 DvD/VHS. Good luck with the Invisible Deck!
Stan_Wilson
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Stan_Wilson
I use the ID as an out so my presentaion is geared towards that. If I mess up I just say " I always hate using cards so I tend to use this new invisible deck I bought." from there it is a pretty basic routine.
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
I never liked asking the spectator directly what card they were thinking of. You get the occasional 'you tell me'. So I generally either have the spectators write down a card or flip over a card in another deck to , as I tell them, make sure they do not change their minds. At that point I do not have to ask them any more questions. When I am ready to reveal the finale I tell them that they had a free choice, I look at their card or what they have written and then go into my invisible deck for the miracle.

Park
Believe in magic!
visit me at www.whodinimagic.com
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Stan,
Why do you "mess up"?

a) you shouldn't be performing magic if you believe that you are likely to mess up. Yes, we all mess up occasionally but you shouldn't be going out there thinking you will.

b) The Invisible Deck is too good to waste, sitting in your pocket waiting for the time you mess up. Smile

Park,

Try this:

Give a genuinely invisible deck to a spectator to shuffle, fan cards out in front of them, select one, show it to everyone, put it back reversed in the deck & put cards back in box. (naturally, your back is turned while all this is going on!)(S)he then gives it back to you whereupon it 'appears' in your hand. You place it down and ask a different spectator for the colour - "your choice, red or black". They say red. Now go to another spec and say "hearts or diamonds?" And finally go to another specator and say "what number hearts was it?"

Used like this you get:

a) No "you tell me"s
b) No arguments
c) Usually a number card, which is easier for everyone to see.

You can do this with either the Invisible or Brainwave Deck - I prefer the Brainwave.
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
Thanks for the input James!
Park
Believe in magic!
20Robert04
View Profile
Regular user
Midland, MI
152 Posts

Profile of 20Robert04
One thing I do is hand a card box (empty) to a spectator and tell him to take one card out of it reverse it and put the deck back in the box. I tell them about how every deck of cards has an invisible twin brother, what happens to one deck happens to the other. I then ask them to name their card that they took out.
The only problem with this and the ID in general is that they wont always name the card that they "pulled out".

Paul
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
206 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
James,

I like your presentation. It's nice to have a routine that plays well for one person but which can be adapted to incorporate several. That way each person can experience the magic rather than witness it.

Jake
President S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Isn't that the ideal, Jake? Our art (craft?) is entertainment. It's important to bring in as many people as possible into your 'world'.

While strolling, I do this with my eyes. As I'm showing a trick I'll catch someone's eyes a bit further away, smile at them and ask them a question relevant to the trick I'm doing "Sir, what colour was that card?" Now, I've brought his group into my group and so on.

Same at a large table. Perform for the whole table, not just a small section of it.

Doc Eason puts it this way "magic should be up and out, not down and in"
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Chout
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Chout
One variation I use is that I just ask the person what their favourite card is, that way I don't get any "you tell me"s.
The only problem is that too many people like the 'ace of spades'.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Quote:
On 2003-12-26 10:16, MagicPresident wrote:
What is your favorite effect(s) and where can I learn them?

Get a copy of "Invisible Secrets Revealed" by Eddie Fields.

It costs about $4 US and has lots of routines for the ID.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2003-12-27 15:48, JamesFortune wrote:

a) you shouldn't be performing magic if you believe that you are likely to mess up. Yes, we all mess up occasionally but you shouldn't be going out there thinking you will.

I don't agree. I think having back-ups is important. It increases confidence and reduces chance of failure.

I think a magician should avoid ALL references to an "invisible deck" to the extent possible. We should avoid calling our effect the actual name of the trick. Too many chances to be caught out.

Gianni
whodini
View Profile
Regular user
Clearwater, FL
155 Posts

Profile of whodini
I also use the routine where I tell them to think of a card...then change their mind.. if it is a female there are a number of jokes you can use with that. Have them now concentrate on that second card... after it is revealed emphasize to them that they had to change their mind to make the effect work.

Park

visit me at http://www.whodinimagic.com
Believe in magic!
Jafo
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
19 Posts

Profile of Jafo
I read an idea a while back (I think it was on Richard Robinson's site allmagic.com; my apologies for not recollecting better) that was kinda nice.

It involved two decks, one inivisble, one marked.

The magician spreads out the marked cards on a pool table, such that no two cards are overlapping or even touching. The spectator hits a cue ball and lets it bounce around until it comes to rest on or near a card. That card is set aside (and the marking noted). The invisible deck (which has been in full view the entire time) is now opened and one card shown to be turned face down. Of course they match. Of course they worship you now.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2004-01-05 15:03, Gianni wrote:
"...I think a magician should avoid ALL references to an 'invisible deck' to the extent possible. We should avoid calling our effect the actual name of the trick. Too many chances to be caught out...."

For what reasons do you believe that calling the effect by its actual name increases the chances that laymen will figure out the method?
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
My opinion is that the Invisible Deck is a presentation which should be retired for a couple of generations. The UltraMental deck (the trick deck used for the ID presentation) is a great tool which only requires that you use a little imagination to make it a real miracle.

I can't tell you the number of times a layman friend has told me that he or she saw a magician and they did this and that and that trick with "the invisible deck". Now when laymen know that a trick or presentation is "standard" it's time to find a new one.

Darwin Ortiz has a great presentation in Darwin Ortiz At The Card Table which will fool magicians and laymen who own and Ultramental deck. And it requires no more sleight of hand than the standard version.

I recommend it to anyone who owns an Ultramental Deck.
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2004-01-05 21:45, Jafo wrote:
It involved two decks, one inivisble, one marked.

The magician spreads out the marked cards on a pool table, such that no two cards are overlapping or even touching. The spectator hits a cue ball and lets it bounce around until it comes to rest on or near a card. That card is set aside (and the marking noted). The invisible deck (which has been in full view the entire time) is now opened and one card shown to be turned face down. Of course they match. Of course they worship you now.

That is a routine created by Eddie Fields, and used for many years by Mike Massy in his trick shot shows.
steiner1000
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of steiner1000
Just to add my two cents... Johnny Ace Palmer has a nice presentation for the ID on his trilogy video. Sorry, I can't remember which one.
knibby
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
52 Posts

Profile of knibby
HI all (1st realy post) what I do with my ID is get another deck and force a card on the spec that way there's on need to ask for their card at all.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Invisible Deck (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL