The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How much interest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
After reading several stories of performing experiences here on the Café in the last couple of years I got to thinking: There are tons of books on methods and effects, but to my knowledge not so much which are just stories of great performances (great for a variety of reasons).

If someone were to gather up a few of these stories into one place, would there be interest in that?
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I think there would, but I also think they'd have to be verified in some way Smile
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
What, you don't trust a bunch of professional liars? Smile
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9647 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I like the idea but the problem is most entertainers are narrow-minded as to only their own type of entertainment. That's why many magician's will only buy marketing courses geared to "marketing for magician's, rather than some of the great traditional marketing books out there. This is just an example.

I myself love to hear real-world, true stories (good and bad) from all types of performers - comedians, magicians, mentalists, hypnotists, Master of Ceremonies, musicians, soundmen, management, agents, writers, and so on. I understand other's don't though.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Hmm, I suppose you're right. I know I've been guilty of passing something over because it wasn't the type of thing I normally enjoy reading/watching.
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
The most stupid thing you can do as an artist is to stick with the media of the art you do. As an artist, we all need inspiration from everywhere, from every other kind of art!
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Agreed. But, we all have preferences and it can at times be difficult to get outta our programs. But generally speaking, the more information/inspiration you have the larger and more accurate map you can create. That said, I'm just as prone to sticking with what I know and like than venturing out too far into the unknown.

If this project were to take off though I think it'd be cool to have different sections, like "stories of mind reading", "musings on magic", "A poets problem" etc etc. That way people could easily read what they're interested in and skim over what they're not.
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of dusty
I suggest if you want to see world class performers and speakers on diverse topics from all over the world check out TED talks on Ted.com Some great acts have appeared over the years, most recently Arthur Benjamin, Apollo Robbins and Keith Barry.

Sign up for the weekly digest get ready to delve into some amazing topics. Learn presentation from some the great orators like Sir Ken Robinson et al. Best of all it's absolutely FREE to subscribe, so not excuses Smile
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5944 Posts

Profile of george1953
I like the idea, must be some wonderful stories knocking around with so many great performers visiting the Café. But I do agree that they would have to be verified somehow, I don't see any way of doing that. I know that I personally have a few that no one wold believe, and I have no way of proving that they happened.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
I would be more interested in the broad-definition of entertainer than a book just about magic and mentalism performances. The reason is that I know the latter would tend to inhibit my creativity, and would generate a lot of copycatting. Which, incidentally, my spellchecker recognises as a valid work. Who'da known?
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
That would be great. I have read similar collections by authors, stand-up comedians and librarians (in three separate books of course!)
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I love TED talks, but I was originally thinking of a collection of magic related performance stories, not so much full presentations or lectures.

I can see the concern for copycatting, but there is nothing an author can do about that to be honest. Any time we read something and pull inspiration I suppose it's a possibility.

Verification of stories seems to be a consensus, but I wonder if the truth of the story is the most important aspect, or if rather the conveyed lesson, analogy or whatever is. Perhaps some level of truth can be ommitted/overlooked in order to get the lessons across? Of course, no blatant lies. A little creative license though, that's ok with me if it serves the end goal.

However, this is just an idea I'm spitballing with so feel free to add in. Seems like there is a bit of interest in it, which is encouraging.
ko_brian
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of ko_brian
Ive never heard about TED.COM before! Very cool stuff, DUSTY, thank you for sharing!
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
There are a ton of great talks on TED. I think Netflix even streams them.
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of dusty
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 23:53, ko_brian wrote:
Ive never heard about TED.COM before! Very cool stuff, DUSTY, thank you for sharing!

Da Nada Obrigada. (The only Portuguese I know...Your Welcome, Thanks you.)
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How much interest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL