The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Card Splitting (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
darksage
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of darksage
Marty's dvd is really easy to follow, and I have gotten great results.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
It also depends on HOW you make the card then.
I don't care for little creases, since when my cards are done, they are flat w/o any creases.

Split cards, mount cards, ship immediately!
Sure this does not work when using the rubber cement method.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
nbl
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of nbl
I have been doing this for long and can make all sort of gimmicks
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Instead of splitting, wouldn't a more professional method be to use some kind of sanding machine to sand down 50% of the thickness? This would leave the faces free of any creases. And no one ever talks about the damage to the corner from tapping the card. Maybe it's not really noticeable, but if you're a pro cardmaker, I'm sure these details make a difference.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
That would probably cost more to get a machine that could (if even possible) do that than to just have them custom printed in bulk. Smile
There are several methods that do not leave wrinkles and corners are still as good as new.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
719 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Out of curiosity, do any pros use water soaking for splitting? I tried it a few times and it seems to always be a disaster. The black glue emerges and stains the surfaces. The water also seems to affect the paper, resulting in a dark translucency, especially close to the edges. Leaving it in too long also creates paper "bubbling".
I have read a couple of posts recommending this method, -maybe I've got the temperature wrong or my tap water is bad.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Let me say so: paper + water = damage.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
I have used water to split cards on numerous occassions.

Leave the playing card in water for a few minutes. It will simply split / peel into 2 parts
and the dark / black adhesive will also mix in with the water.
Rinse the now split cards under the tap to wash off any and all of the adhesive.

Pat the cards down with a paper towel until they are 'dry'.
Put them between the pages of a heavy book and leave them for a few hours to dry completely.
Job done.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Mar 28, 2015, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
I have used water to split cards on numerous occassions.

Leave the playing card in water for a few minutes. It will simply split / peel into 2 parts
and the dark / black adhesive will also mix in with the water.
Rinse the now split cards under the tap to wash off any and all of the adhesive.

Pat the cards down with a paper towel until they are 'dry'.
Put them between the pages of a heavy book and leave them for a few hours to dry completely.
Job done.

The dark adhesive often bleeds into the white areas like the border and discolors it when I try it.
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of dj
Card Maker( Bernd Maucksch) is an absolute master when it comes to this topic.
Everyone will think the cards are printed.
This is not so. He has split them, without something to see, to feel anything. You don't feel anything when you go with your finger on the card.
I do not know how he does it, but it's just amazing.
Just incredible, his cards.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Shawn Evans at Mimesismagic.com also makes great split cards here in the US, so that's another option.
My only qualm with Martini's is the ones I have gotten have an extra layer in them which makes them a tiny bit thicker and stiffer.
zoic
View Profile
New user
UK
68 Posts

Profile of zoic
Using a table with a rounded edge helps with the no creasing, If you follow.
443magicman
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of 443magicman
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2013, Zack_Johnston wrote:
This download at Theory 11 by Blake Vogt teaches you how to speed split cards....In other words, splitting a whole deck in 20 minutes. I don't own it, but I have heard great things about it! http://www.theory11.com/wire/blake-vogt/......d-split/

Zack Johnston

:bluebikes:

I recommend this as well.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
There are few things as satisfying as having rung in some of your own gaffed creations mid-routine and using them to startling effect.

Having said that......

I am willing to pay the money for the printed gaffs that Bicycle and Phoenix make.... Also, the Magic Makers deck (with the accompanying DVD from Simon Lovell) is very, very good.

But keep on splitting! Like I said, it is a uniquely satisfying experience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Card Splitting (21 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL