The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should every magician own? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Well.. Christmas is coming. I've been practicing basic sleights through Bobo's and Mark Wilson's complete course for a few months now.. 5-6 hours a day. Magic is something I'm really going to stick with. My grandfather was a magnificent magician. From the age of 6 years old, he was always the kid who never went out to play.. He was obsessed with magic. I'd love to accomplish some of the things that he can one day.

So with Christmas quickly approaching, my mother strongly supports my dedication to magic. She's got me on Luis Tannen's website right now and wants me to make a list of things that I want for Christmas. She said to pick out a few hundred dollars worth of stuff.

Just a bit on my taste...
I prefer close up/sleight of hand card and coin magic. I love the idea of street magic and I want the ability to impress anyone that asks to 'see a trick.'' I walk around practicing card fans and basic sleights ALL day long, probably 10 hours a day so a lot of people that I meet are always asking to see a trick. I figure most of this will lean towards buying books but I'd like to know what every magician should have. For example, cups and balls, chop cup, etc.. What are some of the things that should be in every magicians collection? With a few hundred dollars, what should I be buying? I do a lot of E-Books so I'm actually thinking of leaning towards actual props/gimmicks as appose to just buying a library. Let me know some of your favorite items in your collection. What can't you live without and why? I'm definitely someone who loves classical effects.. Cups and Balls, Linking Rings, etc.

I really hope this thread can keep going! I'd love to see 20 replies, as I'm very interested in people's opinion and what you guys think is most important to have.

Also; any recommendations on types of decks to get? I hear the Phoenix deck is really good.. As of now, I use Bicycle 808's.. The finish wears off after an hour or two of practicing, aha.. Any advice on card restoration/fanning powder, etc?
orion4211
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
36 Posts

Profile of orion4211
If you like card magic, I suggest getting the entire Card College Books. Years of study in there!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I second Card College, but suggest you only need Vol 1&2 to get started.

I also recommend Michael Ammar's 2 DVD set on Cups & Balls. Then perhaps Daryl's 3 DVD set on rope magic.

That would give you a wide range of magic you could practice from beginner to strong performance material.

Hudson
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
A third for Card College!

Do you have a closeup mat?

Sponge balls are also a must have, I think.

Neemdog
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1421 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Bicycle cards are relatively inexpensive nad good quality. TT's are good utility devices. You can spend a fortune once you get bitten.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
neemdog
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of neemdog
I also meant to add that in my opinion every magician should read 13 Steps to Mentalism to at least get an idea of how mental magic works at its roots.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
723 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I also recommend Card College, Tarbell Course of Magic, Show Doctor by Jeff McBride. I would also suggest a good close up mat, sponge balls and a thumb tip, expanded shell,a hank of rope and a case of Bicycle cards. Cups and Balls and a good set of linking Rings. There are many good dvd's out there as well, one suggestion is Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Magic..the complete set.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Paul Zenon's Street Magic
An ID
nytaylor21
View Profile
New user
Utah
55 Posts

Profile of nytaylor21
I agree with much of the above. Cups and balls, linking rings, etc. are classics and any good magician should understand them, however, if you're doing walk around/"street" style performances, these will likely end up collecting dust. I would definitely recommend a TT, and some good books (see above). I can also vouch for Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Magic. There are many other good DVD's out there (I'm sure there is a thread with some recommendations). Tannen's is good, but if I were in your shoes I would look at Penguin Magic. Their 5 for $99 is a really good deal. And in that case I would look at a lecture or two. Good luck and happy shopping!
nytaylor21
View Profile
New user
Utah
55 Posts

Profile of nytaylor21
One other item I forgot to add would be an Invisible Deck! A must for every magician, or at least every magician that does anything with cards!
orion4211
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
36 Posts

Profile of orion4211
I would try to find effects that no other magician is doing. Make them your own and make them tell a story.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8486 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Such knowledge!! Yes, stay away from any Harry Lorayne book - definitely.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
olaf911
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
104 Posts

Profile of olaf911
One more vote for Card College 1+2.

One of my favourites is the 3 Fly. I took the version of 3 Fly plus by Gary Jones (I ordered the DVD from his site. One with many other other effects on it. Don't know if it is still available.) and added my own way of presentation. I love this one! So my advice would be to look out for a version of 3 Fly that you like. Either one with an expanded shell or one with ordinary coins (like the version of Daryl). And try to get your hands on Dollar coins (+shell), if you think you can handle them. It is much more visual that way.

Hope that helps.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Charm, assurance and skill
Deadsets
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Deadsets
Thumb tip
Sponge balls
Chop cup
Invisible deck.

Id then recommend getting some lesson to cut down time wasted learning techniques you don't need.

Aaron fisher and Justin Miller offer Skype lessons.
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Quote:
On 2013-12-03 09:04, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Such knowledge!! Yes, stay away from any Harry Lorayne book - definitely.

Ha! Good one Harry!
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
All I am going to add is if you have a bit of cash invest in good quality stuff. I used the excuse to by a top end version of something I use. A photot shoot or web design may also be helpfull.

also think is there a none magical item you could get. Like a decent case or a coat tailored for example. Jeff McBride say that if your into stage stuff dance lessons can help movement and control.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Yes: Go for good quality stuff. I've bought cheap before, and it's always a false economy.
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
New jersey
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
Clean underwear.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Ha, ha ... yes. And shampoo, a mirror, a nail trimmer, deoderant and clean props. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should every magician own? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL