The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should every magician own? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 06:17, HerbS wrote:
Someone above mentioned making friends in magic, which is a very good point and definitely worth pursuing. When I was younger I didn't have a community of fellow magicians to tie into and I know that if I had, I would have gotten further along much more quickly. Other people can be a resource for teaching you stuff, which is great, but I think it is more important in a sense just to see what kinds of things they are doing. For example, there were a lot of sleights and tricks that I overlooked in various books because they didn't seem practical or workable. It took me decades to learn that in fact these same things can be very effective. By hanging out with other magicians you will learn a lot just from the conversations about what books they're reading, DVDs they like, tricks they're practicing, acts they saw, etc. Plus, it's always great to have friends who don't think it's in any way unusual if you always have a deck of cards in your hand!

I would definitely love to join a local magic community or start one.. but The closest magic shop is 2 and a half hours away sadly and I'm unaware of any other magicians in the area. There are a couple professionals in the phone book but I highly doubt they just wanna meet up with some amateur that's 16 years old. Smile I'm going to make a post soon about starting or joining a magic community in a local area.
HerbS
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of HerbS
Zephury-From a quick look at the Society of American Magicians' web site it appears that there is an SAM Assembly that meets in Stuart, Florida, which it as best as I can tell is not too far from you in Port St. Lucie. Attending these monthly meetings may be a good way to start connecting with other folks who are interested in magic in your area. There also is one in the Palm Beach area as well as other locations that may be near you. You might also try checking the IBM (International Brotherhood of Magicians) web site also since sometimes both organizations have chapters in the same cities. Usually these magic groups have lectures by visiting magicians, chances to perform, workshops, etc.

It's too bad the closest magic shop is so far away. Here in New York, hanging out in the magic stores has turned out to be a good way to meet people. But maybe occasional trips there, like once a month would be worthwhile for you.

I honestly think, though, that the best thing would be if you could meet a few people around your same age who were really into magic and get together someplace to talk and work on stuff. If you don't meet them through SAM or IBM, maybe asking around or just posting here on the Magic Café will help turn up some people in your area. It sounds like you're not in school at the moment, but if you still have connections at the school you attended, you could ask there if there were any other magician types around.

Oh, and if it's practical, you might also want to consider attending Tannen's magic camp in July. There you'll meet people around your age who come from all around the country and the world. From what I've heard it's a great experience.

I know I said this in my earlier post, but I would have gotten a lot further if I'd had other friends who were serious about magic, when I was about your age, so it's worth trying to build these types of connections. I'm sure the people are out there.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 04:04, HerbS wrote:
Zephury-From a quick look at the Society of American Magicians' web site it appears that there is an SAM Assembly that meets in Stuart, Florida, which it as best as I can tell is not too far from you in Port St. Lucie. Attending these monthly meetings may be a good way to start connecting with other folks who are interested in magic in your area. There also is one in the Palm Beach area as well as other locations that may be near you. You might also try checking the IBM (International Brotherhood of Magicians) web site also since sometimes both organizations have chapters in the same cities. Usually these magic groups have lectures by visiting magicians, chances to perform, workshops, etc.

It's too bad the closest magic shop is so far away. Here in New York, hanging out in the magic stores has turned out to be a good way to meet people. But maybe occasional trips there, like once a month would be worthwhile for you.

I honestly think, though, that the best thing would be if you could meet a few people around your same age who were really into magic and get together someplace to talk and work on stuff. If you don't meet them through SAM or IBM, maybe asking around or just posting here on the Magic Café will help turn up some people in your area. It sounds like you're not in school at the moment, but if you still have connections at the school you attended, you could ask there if there were any other magician types around.

Oh, and if it's practical, you might also want to consider attending Tannen's magic camp in July. There you'll meet people around your age who come from all around the country and the world. From what I've heard it's a great experience.

I know I said this in my earlier post, but I would have gotten a lot further if I'd had other friends who were serious about magic, when I was about your age, so it's worth trying to build these types of connections. I'm sure the people are out there.

I looked in to that SAM assembly a bit ago in stewart, but the phone number was out dated, out of service in which was listed.. the email.. no replies yet. And NYC I am familiar with. I spent some time there a few years back. Tannen's is one of my favorite places in the world. I read about the magic camp that Tannen's has now.. I'm trying to go but I don't have a job right now, money is tight on my family. In a few months, I'm going to make an effort to try and work for a family friend of mine who runs a very big catering business in the area.. Perhaps they could use a magician, it's worth a shot I suppose. I'm currently saving up right now to go out to California for 3 months in order to attend the Chavez school of magic as well as spend as much time as I possibly can in the Magic Castle. It'll be a vacation with nothing but magic, aha. No other focuses, just magic for three months straight, I'm excited about it. It'll probably be a year or two before I get to go though. Do any of you know of any Magician's clubs like the Magic Castle on the east coast? I know nothing is as renowned of course, but is there anything cool worth checking out on this coast? Any magic shops that have private areas for magicians to hang out?
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
I'll try answering this from a different angle.
With a few hundred bucks in your budget, that's quite a lot of money for a beginner... a lot of money to get wasted on crap (even if its good magic) that will take you a long time to master.
Instead, take that money and partition only a small amount on the magic itself.
Then quickly map out where you eventually want to go with your magic.
For me, after about 10 years as a hobbyist, I find that the challenges of buying magic, learning magic, and performing it are now behind me. The biggest realization I have come to now in this hobby is figuring out HOW TO GET MORE OPPORTUNITIES TO PERFORM.
I've thoroughly gone through my friends and family, and I've even started consistently performing small charity event shows 2-3 times a year.
I WOULD RECOMMEND thinking about magic as SHOW-BUSINESS. Only half of SHOW BUSINESS is the "Show". Are you prepared to invest in ways that will get you into performing ("show") more often? This thinking and energy is the metaphor for the "business", even if you aren't litterally thinking of making money or booking gigs (yet).
I need to give you examples now because I fear I may already be too obscure. For the magic, perhaps start out with a silk and Thumb tip, Sponge Balls, a Deck of cards and a few Half-dollar coins. Learn some routines from some books or DVDs that use these props.
Now here is the other part:
Why not build a website? ~$10-$20 for domain name
Business Cards? ~$10-20
Costuming (Hat? Vest? Cargo Pants?
Where to put it all (there is an entire forum here at the Café on this topic). Maybe a Doctors bag or Magician's case that lifts up to create a table top?
If not, then at least buy a performing surface: Close up pad? ~$10. Table from walmart ~$20.

The sooner imagining yourself performing magic, and the hurdles or obstacles that are in that vision that ENABLE you to perform your magic, the better off you'll be in the long run.

This is a long-winded way of saying its not all about the magic.
vernal
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of vernal
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 01:14, Flyswatter wrote:
Tarbell's free in pdf form....just saying.

Where? I did a quick search, but the only free Tarbell I found was a limited time offer, for which I am too late.

OP - Don't go to far along the road before you find books on presentation and theory - Henning Nelms "Magic and Showmanship," Darwin Ortiz "Strong Magic" and "Designing Miracles" are ones I own and found quite valuable. Since you're just starting, these will help you learn how to present and design your effects, rather than showing you more moves or props. If your SOH skills are developed, you don't need too many props - just make magic with stuff on hand. Why buy a "Cup and Balls" set when you can use three glasses from your kitchen and some tin foil balls...until your "showmanship" needs require such.
"Finger-flinging has about as much relation to magic as a Jazz Band has to Music." - J.B. Bobo. (I don't agree with the jazz comparison, but I still think the quote is funny.)

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted." - John Lennon
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Quote:
On 2013-12-13 17:04, vernal wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 01:14, Flyswatter wrote:
Tarbell's free in pdf form....just saying.

Where? I did a quick search, but the only free Tarbell I found was a limited time offer, for which I am too late.

OP - Don't go to far along the road before you find books on presentation and theory - Henning Nelms "Magic and Showmanship," Darwin Ortiz "Strong Magic" and "Designing Miracles" are ones I own and found quite valuable. Since you're just starting, these will help you learn how to present and design your effects, rather than showing you more moves or props. If your SOH skills are developed, you don't need too many props - just make magic with stuff on hand. Why buy a "Cup and Balls" set when you can use three glasses from your kitchen and some tin foil balls...until your "showmanship" needs require such.

If you have uTorrent, you can go to thepiratebay.sx and search Tarbell's course.. I believe there's only one option for download and it's safe. That's how I got it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Zephury>>>I had not mentioned Henning Nelm's book, but since it just came up, I'll throw in a comment.

The Nelms book is close to a COLLEGE COURSE in SHOWMANSHIP! You won't read it in "one gulp"!!! Suggest you have a yellow hi liter pen handy! (I did -- when it first came out about 40+ years ago.

I think I've already suggested Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment".

P.S. You mentioned "buskers" working somewhere in your area. GO! OBSERVE, MAKE MENTAL NOTES OF WHAT WORKS FOR THEM!. How do they grab --and hold a tip (audience)?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 12:17, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hey Zephury>>>I had not mentioned Henning Nelm's book, but since it just came up, I'll throw in a comment.

The Nelms book is close to a COLLEGE COURSE in SHOWMANSHIP! You won't read it in "one gulp"!!! Suggest you have a yellow hi liter pen handy! (I did -- when it first came out about 40+ years ago.

I think I've already suggested Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment".

P.S. You mentioned "buskers" working somewhere in your area. GO! OBSERVE, MAKE MENTAL NOTES OF WHAT WORKS FOR THEM!. How do they grab --and hold a tip (audience)?

Sooo many books to buy.. It's crazy, I'm so stumped on which ones to get first yet alone how I'm going to get all of the money. Every time I mention books, Harry Lorayne is always hinting me to get some of his books and people are always recommending showmanship and psychological books; feel like I'm gonna need a few thousand dollars to buy them all, aha. I will be working on it though. I've got a notepad document saved of a list of books that I will be buying. Thanks for all the advice you always give me, Mr. Oslund. Everything you say is well noted.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8486 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
No, no, Zephury - not hinting that at all. I mean it - please; stay away from any of my books. They're too expensive - among other things.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Zephury, I started with Harry's Close-Up Card Magic. Seemed expensive at the time but has served me very well. You can stay in your budget as you gradually add more. Meanwhile, work on what you already have!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
magistorm
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of magistorm
If you have spent a great deal of time already on practice, time to think of entertainment.

Have heard it stated Ed Marlo was a great technical card worker but his student Bill Malone is an entertainer.

Would strong recommend Punx books, for storytelling.
Think of magic as special effects designed to strengthen the message, in Sunday School called object lessons.

Consider some of the past greats in your close up, parlor effects, Slydini for one.
More recent perhaps Michael Close workers series, Jeff Hopson for creating an unusual persona, or Oscar Munoz
Jeff McBride shows, look at the routine, how assembled, music choices.

Can you grab and keep an audience attention, old vaudeville acts...Red Skeleton, Abbott and Costello and others are worth time studying.

Remember "a magician is just an actor playing the part of magician" Robert Houdin.

You also have to write your script, choose music or not, manage your props, be your own roadie, promote and book yourself.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6893 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Zephury, what did your mom end up getting you? A few hundred $$$ ain't no small change. You said you felt like you had enough books, so I wonder what you DID get. Care to share? Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What should every magician own? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL