The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Testimonials That Kill (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1813 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Anybody got any killer testimonial stories? Or things that happened with clients or audience members which really validate what you're doing?

Like most of you, I have hundreds of client quotes. Among those are a handful special ones that really make an impression. But there's one in particular that floors everyone I've ever told it to. I'll share that story with you later. But in the meantime, who else has a killer testimonial story to share?
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Story to share?
While performing Street Magic for some children, a Lady with a nice video camera asked if she could video it. (have found out when they ask, It's usually a reporter) I said ok, and she puts the camera INCHES from my cards! Thank God, the dirty work had already been done! Afterwards I let her keep the cards, Smile
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1162 Posts

Profile of danfreed
I did a birthday gig at a daycare and one of the girls there had a dad who was a police officer. he had recently been killed on the job. I knew him and his family. I heard later from her mom how happy the show made her and that she wanted to be a magician when she grew up. Actually, though nice to hear, I'd rather she wanted to be a cop or something since her dad was so cool and she should be influenced by him, not me.

On another note, here is one of my favorite testimonials sent after I did caricatures for an anniversary:
"Hi Dan...
Just a note to thank you for helping make our party/vow renewal a total success!!
We have received several comments from guests that actually felt it was the best party they had ever been to!
Wow...pretty good for two people who have NEVER had a party!! Smile
Anyway...Wayne and I feel it is because of two things...we had YOU there doing their caricatures...and the pictures we did of friends and family on the walls. We can't thank you enough for doing such a wonderful job...everyone loved you...and thought it was a great idea. A real ice breaker I'd say!
Thanks again so much!!
Wayne and Barb - 30th Anniv. party"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Not a testimonial as such, but last year a woman in her early twenties rang me. She was organising a dinner dance and wanted me to do close-up magic, a thing I don't really do. She wanted me in my colourful kids outfit. She remembered me from her eighth birthday party, and wanted no other magician but me.

I was flattered, I have to say. I did the gig, full kids outfit, and it was a great success. Funnily enough since then I have always performed my few close-up gigs in full ringmaster regalia. Works better for me. I was never a tux kind of guy.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think the best ones I get are when I receive a totally unexpected letter from a kid, in crayon with a picture drawn of me. I don't use them because they seem phoney even though they are legit. It's more appreciated by me than useful for promotional purposes.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I must have a trunk full of "TESTIMONIAL LETTERS" from elementary school kids! Teachers often used the magic program as a good subject to help kids learn how to write letters. The kids often draw pictures of "their favorite trick". I always read them all, as the kids are quite candid and honest!

About 30 years ago, I reeived a thick manila envelope stuffed with about 50 "letters". They were all quite complimentary (!!!) EXCEPT FOR ONE! It was written by a fourth grade BOY. He expressed his sentiments briefly: "IT WAS DUMB"!

I forwarded it to my manager!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Sorry, Dick. If it was Woodrow Wilson Elementary School, that was me ...
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I love the ones that come from the teachers in manila envelopes.

Sometimes I find them while going through my prop room. They always bring out a smile.

On my 60th birthday, my wife through a surprise party. My friends entertained me. From the Janis Joplin inspired singers to the Takes a licking and keeps on ticking parody(only some of you will remember the Timex commercials) they also shared memories of my programs through the years.

My wife has one I like... She loves me even when I am not on stage.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

Arthur...your turn?

Harris
still 2 old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1813 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
OK, here's my favorite story, which makes an awesome testimonial. It really demonstrates what a positive impact we performers can have on young minds:

A few years ago my wife Leslie and I were setting up for a birthday party held at a local Children’s Museum. We could see most of the guests arriving on time, but the birthday child was being purposely “delayed” because it was a surprise party.

Suddenly, a five year old boy ran up to me, gave me a big hug and yelled: “I Love to Read!” His grandmother came up to us and exclaimed: “So THAT'S where he heard that!” It turns out that this little boy had seen our "I Love to Read" program at his school six months before. His grandma told us that ever since seeing our show, he often repeats the words “I Love to Read,” and has developed a genuine interest in reading. He actually hugs his books when he’s carrying them around his house!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Arthur....

Thanks for starting this positive thread, and for sharing the "I LOVE TO READ".

Harris
laughologist and nearly normal reader and "righter"
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
This is my favourite most recent one... It's the last sentence that made me smile:

"We booked Gary for our son's 6th Birthday party after a recommendation. We had him booked for an hour, and I wondered how he could capture the attention of 30 sugar-induced, crazy children for that length of time. I didn't need to worry. He had us crying with laughter - adults and children alike. My son had a fantastic party, all down to Gary, and the other parents now want to book him too. He was absolutely brilliant and should come with a 'wear your Tena Ladies' caution!"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Gary ..I had to google your last line.

Sounds like the lady's were multi-tasking.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
garydunn
View Profile
Veteran user
Glasgow
303 Posts

Profile of garydunn
Ah, you don't have Tena Lady in the US?

Gary
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1648 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
Gary..........I am a Brit living in the US as you know, and I have never heard of a Tena lady!!! See you at KAX mate!! Smile JR
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Arthur,

This is not so much of a Testimony as I did not get one from the mother as she was just way to emotional. Several years back I was performing a show and I was using David Ginn's Sheep Dog Puppet that he gets from the UK. The show was for Mentally Challenged Children of all ages up to 12 years old. When I went into my routine with my Sheep Dog that I call "Hollywood" as he is dressed like a star this child who was about 7-9 just blurted out "DOG", then "DOG" again and the room went silent. At this point I became very nervous as I thought to myself what did I do wrong. Then in the back of the room there is this lady lying on the floor crying her eyes out with the staff. The child kept saying "DOG" over and over again and would not stop. Instead of stopping the show I continued on with my routine then ended it and put the "DOG" away in his carrier. The show ended and all went well. After the show I learned that the child in question was actually 10-years old and he had never spoken one single word in his life. That day changed that mother's life and gave her hope that maybe one day her child would speak. The child loved the Dog so much I asked here if I could give it to him so that she and he both might remember this day and memory for as long as they could. She accepted the Dog and her son just lit up like a Bright Light. There is more to the story but I will leave it at that. This is the only time in my life that I felt a difference was made in a Mother and Son's life that would last a lifetime.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Gary...

I am now "Poise"d to understand your humor.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1209 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Rodney

WOW. That story brought a tear to my eye. Thank you so much for sharing it!!!

Mark
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Rodney,

What a gift that you gave to the mother and her son.

You also "re-gifted" to us by sharing that story.

Tis the Season

love brother Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Testimonials That Kill (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL