The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Could use some help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bike808
View Profile
New user
spring ill fl via chicago il
13 Posts

Profile of bike808
Ihave been a close up /bartender & a friends wife works for a chain of daycare centers & would like me to do some shows I need some suggestions on children routines the ages are 4-9 years & few 10-11 12 if anyone could help with suggestion. Would really appreciate it also I like to build props if I can any recommendation ?
thnks in advance
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
What is your experience performing for children. And, what kind of daycare has children 4-12 year olds? Lol
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
If you have never performed for Children, with all due respect leave it up to some one who knows how to perform for the little ones. This is something that you cannot learn overnight. Tell her you can do something for the 10-12 year old kids see below.

As for the 10 -12 age Kids I would perform my adult show just make sure the jokes, gags and all of your lines are age appropriate for this age group NO Blue Humor.

Rod
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Bike, I'd agree with Rodney.

Children's shows are a whole different game and daycares a different subset again.

Would you book a local children's entertainer who only does children's shows to do bar and close-up?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
You will need the following 2 DVDs for the start to learn how to entertain that age group: http://thegreatzucchini.com/store/ I advise you to purchase those two first. If you think you can work with the style it teaches, I will recommend a few more to you.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 03:30, Quentin wrote:
Would you book a local children's entertainer who only does children's shows to do bar and close-up?

I always suggest giving them a chance to learn first. "You'll never know until you try".
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 06:59, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 03:30, Quentin wrote:

I always suggest giving them a chance to learn first. "You'll never know until you try".

Indeed, but he is talking about a series of shows, for which a professional would be paid a decent fee. Had it been a one-off local charity show I would have said to "go for it".
wwhokie1
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of wwhokie1
From the bar to the great zucchini is quite a stretch. The Great Zucchini is a children's entertainer/magician, he does a great job, but extends beyond the label of just magician. Coming from closeup / bartender I would recommend checking out someone more like Ken Scott or Chris Capehart who does a great job with kids but would probably be a style of children's magic that would be more comfortable for someone coming from your background. Not putting down Zucchini, he does great work, but children's magic comes in a variety of styles and personalities. Don't get me wrong, their style is still very hard.

But the advice others gave is very accurate, performing for children requires a skill set very different from other types of magic. Children make a tough audience and can be brutal, bar magic can be brutal as well but in different ways. Imagine a children's entertainer with little closeup experience who has never stepped into a bar in their life coming into a bar to do magic. That is what you will be doing. First question you need to ask is how well do you get along with kids and do you enjoy hanging out with kids and entertaining them, and do they find you fun to be around. Those are requirements, and will kill a show. Could you enjoy volunteering to work in a day care center for a day, or would the thought give you nightmares? How would you respond to 20 kids running around crazy in front of you, ignoring everything you say; because if you are not properly prepared, that is exactly what could happen.

Rodney gave great advice about the 10-12 year olds, keep the humor at their age level and you will do great. They will, however, get tired of card tricks quickly. They still like flashy, colorful, and variety. If you have a variety of close up with different items, not just cards, you can do great with this age.

Having said all of that, I would like to add that in my opinion there is no form of magic more rewarding than performing for children. They know how to have fun and enjoy themselves, they are still willing to see the world in a magical way, their expressions of wonder and amazement will make you feel like you really can do magic. You can bring a joy, happiness, and excitement that will stick with them for days, even much longer. They will respond in ways that people in a bar or most any adults are no longer willing to allow themselves to do. With children you can really create a magical time. But you have to do it their way.

Just my opinions from my experience, for what it is worth.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 09:08, wwhokie1 wrote:

But the advice others gave is very accurate, performing for children requires a skill set very different from other types of magic. Children make a tough audience and can be brutal, bar magic can be brutal as well but in different ways. Imagine a children's entertainer with little closeup experience who has never stepped into a bar in their life coming into a bar to do magic. That is what you will be doing. First question you need to ask is how well do you get along with kids and do you enjoy hanging out with kids and entertaining them, and do they find you fun to be around. Those are requirements, and will kill a show. Could you enjoy volunteering to work in a day care center for a day, or would the thought give you nightmares? How would you respond to 20 kids running around crazy in front of you, ignoring everything you say; because if you are not properly prepared, that is exactly what could happen.

Did you know there are grown ups on this forum who started from scratch to become a professional kids magician? I see him going the right direction by coming here asking for support. He could have jumped into trying it by going around us. If he would have admitted he is a child molester, that would have been a different story. I perform for adults and kids.

Before you are great, you have to be good. Before you are good, you have to be bad. Before you are bad, you have to try.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7395 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 01:16, Danny Kazam wrote:
And, what kind of daycare has children 4-12 year olds? Lol

Some Daycares / Preschools, that also have OSC (Out of School Care), have that age range.

A typical OSC, even without a Daycare / Preschool, can have Elementary aged kids, from grades K-7, which are ages 5-12 years here in Canada.

I used to work in OSC and summer daycamps (as well as having performed many shows for them).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
bike808
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of bike808
Thanks guys for the advice. I guess I should have said I have performed for kids in the past Birthdays.Christmas party's. ect..but it has been a long time. so I guess what I'm asking is some updated tricks (if I pulled out say silk serenade ) no one would even know what a 45 record is. so maybe I'm just asking what plays well.for the Lil ones NOT secrets just trick names or routines.
bike808
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of bike808
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 01:16, Danny Kazam wrote:
What is your experience performing for children. And, what kind of daycare has children 4-12 year olds? Lol

hi Danny
I have been performing since 1985 but I quit doing kid shows in early 90's but stuck with close up. & I asked the same question it's because schools have half days or no class days so that's why the older ones are there just certain days
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Absolutely no reason not to use Silk Serenade. Practically any trick can be used with the right patter.

Simply tell them that these are the mp3s or CDs that their grandparents used or call them old fashioned hard discs or memory sticks.

Paul Daniels in his current show uses a couple of slates and calls them Victorian iPads. Make the use of them a gag. Then just do the routine.

As you already have experience with kid shows you will find how to deal with them will come back very quickly.

I realise that my understanding of daycare is different from the US daycares. I took them to be for children aged up to four years.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2277 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 17:10, Quentin wrote:
Absolutely no reason not to use Silk Serenade. Practically any trick can be used with the right patter.

Simply tell them that these are the mp3s or CDs that their grandparents used or call them old fashioned hard discs or memory sticks.

Paul Daniels in his current show uses a couple of slates and calls them Victorian iPads. Make the use of them a gag. Then just do the routine.

As you already have experience with kid shows you will find how to deal with them will come back very quickly.

I realise that my understanding of daycare is different from the US daycares. I took them to be for children aged up to four years.
I agree with Quentin. I'm still using my vinyl Silk Serenade for family shows, and my patter would work for a kid's show as well. Just as Quentin said, make it a comical history lesson. My patter takes them through records to 8-track tapes, to cassette tapes, to CDs, to Walkmans, to MP3s, to iphones. Silk Sewrenade can be a lot of fun.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Kind of like Dynamike's post. When I started, bad was not the word! But, I knew this was what I wanted to do, and every time I preform I get a little better! And, you will too!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 12:25, bike808 wrote:

I have been performing since 1985 but I quit doing kid shows in early 90's but stuck with close up.

Well guys, what are we waiting for?

Bike, I advise purchasing the following DVDs from the position you are in now:
1. The Great Zucchini http://thegreatzucchini.com/store/
2. Seriously Silly Live http://www.sillymagic.com/dvds.htm
3. Chris Capehart http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3206

You might have to start off with volunteer shows until you are back on track. I suggest bringing a camcorder to record yourself. You will know what to touch up by reviewing the video.

I also suggest you study in the "Tricky Business" forum. It will help you learn a lot more on how to market your business.

Welcome back aboard.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Could use some help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL