The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What would you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-12-04 22:35, granterg wrote:
What would you do if a magician or mentalist ripped you to shreds after you tried a new effect on him or her?

Has this ever happened to you before?

granterg

PS: I am not talking about respectful criticism, but genuine disrespect for your efforts.

Has this happened to you and that's why you're asking? What level is this magician/mentalist? I ask because you can know 1 effect and call yourself a magician or mentalist.

If you offer to show someone an effect, then you deserve glowing praise or being ripped to shreds. Whatever they fell like doing.

Magicians/mentalist aren't very tough ( they talk tough on the internet, but not in person ). A punch in the face usually shuts them up.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3506 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Hmm looking at Pete Turner I'm not sure I'd punch him in the face despite having boxed, trained in wing chun and grown up on a very rough council estate in inner city London. Likewise my father despite being totally blind was the toughest bloke I ever laid eyes on, even blind he was a far better fighter than he was a magician and he was one of the best magicians I have ever seen in my life.

Mark
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
vinh.giang
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
132 Posts

Profile of vinh.giang
Great post and great question mate. I always believe in every bit of critique there's always a little truth in it, it's important for us to analyse what's true and what's not. I wouldn't disregard his comment entirely I always like to work out of there is something constructive from the harsh comments. I've experienced this a lot early in my career and I never took it to heart and let me make me sad but rather I always noted it and did a no bs analysis of what I can take away. Some of the best lessons I've learnt to improve my magic was from people who were just ruthless.

Good luck and we all must learn how to build thicker skin Smile
"Rather a mind opened by wonder, than one closed by belief."

www.vinhgiang.com.au
www.facebook.com/askvinh
www.twitter.com/askvinh
granterg
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of granterg
Just to be clear, I am not talking about shows but just jamming together and someone rips you apart.

Thanks,

granterg
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well, I assume if your "jamming" together (which I take it is just magicians trying to impress one another), that you must all be friends.

Sounds more like a game of one-upmanship to me, rather than having anything to do with the actual performance of mentalism. I wouldn't worry about it. Focus instead on performing for actual audiences.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What would you do? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL