The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How Much To Charge For Events (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
I realize that this is one of the most commonly asked questions so here is an answer on how to set fees:

http://www.paidtoperform.com/how-much-to......speaker/

I remember talking to a magician who wanted to know what the going rate for the corporate market is and I told him there is no "average" rate. Someone asked him to perform at a corporate event and he wanted my advice on what to charge. Since I've never seen his website, videos, etc...I told him that would be impossible but whatever he is thinking, he should double it.

It seems that most entertainers have a mental block when it comes to price and the guys who remove that block are always the ones who do better.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
So you didn't see anything of his marketing material, knew nothing about his ability, and didn't even know what figure he was thinking but just told him to double it?

That is the worst piece of advice!

That says a lot more about YOUR ability to teach others than anything you or anyone here could say for or against you.

WTH? Is that the kind of crap you sell to people how join your sites?

Which, by the way, we see that the link you provide is to sell ANOTHER join-in site.

Incredible.
TheGreatNorthern
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNorthern
Hey Bruce,

On another thread I saw you booked a $5000 gig in Florida, to me that seems too good to be true, $5000 for a magic show?

I'm, very interested in your membership site, but I have a question,

Do you really have a system in place that books you these four figure shows on a regular basis??

-Dale Cooper
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 17:11, Bazinga wrote:
So you didn't see anything of his marketing material, knew nothing about his ability, and didn't even know what figure he was thinking but just told him to double it?

Most magicians don't think big enough.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 17:40, Benji Bruce wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-05 17:11, Bazinga wrote:

Most magicians don't think big enough.

And that is your reasoning for telling someone you know nothing about to double his prices?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Seems to me Bruce screwed up. He should've charged $10,000 for the Florida gig. What kind of a man doesn't follow his own advice?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh come now Benji doesn't make mistakes. After all according to him it was Confucius who said "Whether you think you can or think you can't your right" wasn't it?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2504 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I don't think $5000 to go to Florida is that much.
Not sure how he mixed up Confucius with Henry Ford.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-12-06 16:59, Jerskin wrote:
I don't think $5000 to go to Florida is that much.
Not sure how he mixed up Confucius with Henry Ford.

They're not the same person?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Just one more thing we are supposed to over look about our young guru wannabe.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I really do not think Benji is a "guru wannabe." He is a liar and a total fraud.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 07:09, Paddy wrote:
I really do not think Benji is a "guru wannabe." He is a liar and a total fraud.

The two are not mutually exclusive.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 07:09, Paddy wrote:

This is totally uncalled for, mean spirited, and ugly to read. If Benji was not a contributor on The Magic Café it would be different, but being that he is, this kind of post is nasty.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Charlie to be fair the only thing he ever contributes to is furthering his own cause of being the next big guru. I am not defending Paddy but seriously lets not pretend Benji is here to help anyone but himself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Well, Benji did offer some ideas regarding someone's website here. They were legitimate suggestions.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Danny - for the most part I agree that Benji comes in when it fits his needs. This time, however he did so in a more appropriate way by sharing ideas and a quick mention of his site where you could find additional information. I actually found his site to be interesting and informative. I liked his business book suggestions and other bits of information he shares as value added material. I have previously said that I wish those who use TMC to promote, also purchased advertising here, but I know others do the same thing with their products. It seems we always want Benji to be held to a higher standard.

With respect to Paddy's post, if he shared his opinion on a public figure that is not a member, then it is not necessarily personal. But, he did not speak negatively about Benji's products or services, he spoke negatively about Benji himself. To do that to a fellow member is unconscionable to me. I cannot excuse it because Benji self glosses or has apparent agenda's when he posts.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20374 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not defending Paddy.

But even when Benji allegedly helps he posts his web page to self promote.

Also he sort of made his mm own bed with his reputation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-07 12:02, Dannydoyle wrote:
But even when Benji allegedly helps he posts his web page to self promote.

If he didn't do that, then he wouldn't 't be Benji, and life would be more boring.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9986 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-12-07 11:47, charliecheckers wrote:
Danny - for the most part I agree that Benji comes in when it fits his needs. This time, however he did so in a more appropriate way by sharing ideas and a quick mention of his site where you could find additional information.

Oh, boy, why is it every time he returns to do more of the same, many act here as if it's something new? Now not only new but somehow appropriate? This is Benji promoting "information" in the form of promoting (for free) a "helpful link" to his own blog on his own site. Where he almost immediately promotes his latest, greatest, new and improved offering, this isn't new or helpful, it's the same old shameless tooting of his own minimally experienced horn. Then look closely at he "Sponsors". There not real sponsors, but what else? More of Benji's own stuff (made to look more "impressive" as "sponsors").

To say this is new, to say this rehashed common info is "good or new information" is crazy and if anything may show others lack of common knowledge, but let's not confuse that with anything more than what it is. It's Benji writing in third person about himself, plugging his latest and greatest new guru wares based on his onetime experiences.

He's not a regularly contributing member here, he only uses this for his own purposes when he wants and finds it useful to serve himself.

Why is this not seen as the same to anyone that's been around here a while? It used to amaze me that Benji would have a one time experience (a 50 person four wall show, a single booking outside the country, etc.) and then write a product based on that sole experience (it's not like he does or has claimed to do any of these consistently), but what amazes me more now today is how each time he does this, it's tolerated, surprising and even supported by some here that I would think should know better.

This is still crazy to me, but I'll just sit back and watch everyone that thinks this is good and is willing to spend money or time on this stuff.

As far as the Magic Castle lecture, Danny has on several occasions asked a legitimate question about who was there and how it went. In all of the Café, only one person could be found that had anything to say about it, and someone had to dig to find that. again, crazy to me how this is accepted and perceived. I don't think this was an unreasonable request, yet even Benji himself hasn't boasted about this.

As far as Benji giving others here advice of social proof (and some other quite poor information to someone in need of some real assistance), where are all of the OTHER people (not Benji himself, or Benji-manufactured social proof) that are offering social proof as to Benji's materials, content, use and application and personal successes? Isn't that part of every guru's "schtick", having others success stories tell how great the guru is?

I guess some people just keep buying into things as long as it's out there.

Why not just stick to performing? Even Benji's recent advice on being a "speaker" offers some poor advice, which now is taking this in additional directions. Advice that if taken would allow speakers some poor misinformation.

I guess the truths, realities and facts that are and have been regularly presented and substantiated here repeatedly are to simply be overlooked because many here are being "charmed" by his aggressiveness and infatuations of what he considers to be success (again, quite subjective and a bit assuming that everyone here wants to be what Benji is seeking).

Now back to your regularly scheduled "self-everything" guru, Benji.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I don't defend what I said for the simple reason, it is the truth. Just because he is a member doesn't give him the right to mislead others and then charge them to be misled. He is like the kid who learns the french drop and the chinese rings and then tells everyone that he is a professional magician. 4 walling one time does NOT make him an "expert" to give advice to others.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How Much To Charge For Events (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL