The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nelson Mandela RIP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
What does that have to do with it? I am just posting the facts that most, if not all media outlets are not talking about. Ronald Reagan had Mandela put on the terrorist list, why? Cause America is a racist run government, against equal rights for African American's? I don't advocate violence, nor support terrorism for any cause. I also do not support the American government's support of some terorist groups, and the violence they committ, but that's another issue for another thread. Smile
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Danny, I didn't see a single thing in your list that made me think less of Mandela. I question the agenda of posting these things on the eve of a great man's death.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
I don't advocate violence, nor support terrorism for any cause.

Ah, you are a pacifist then. A position I respect but can't totally agree with.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 14:57, Danny Kazam wrote:

What does that have to do with it? I am just posting the facts that most, if not all media outlets are not talking about. Ronald Reagan had Mandela put on the terrorist list, why? Cause America is a racist run government, against equal rights for African American's? I don't advocate violence, nor support terrorism for any cause. I also do not support the American government's support of some terorist groups, and the violence they committ, but that's another issue for another thread. Smile

You would not support the Declaration of Independence or the American Revolution? All armed rebellion is wrong? You would be opposed to defending our constitution with force?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 14:57, Danny Kazam wrote:

Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more. Hebrews 10:17

So this whole forgiveness thing is just something you say then. Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
When you state that Mandela was offered his freedom if he would simply "renounce terrorism," you are simply revealing your own agenda. He was asked to renounce violence.

Why did Reagan and others call him a terrorist? Perhaps it had a good deal to do with conservative support for businesses who had invested heavily in South Africa.

As has been noted, if Mandela was a terrorist, so were George Washington, John Adams, Francis Marion, Nathan Hale, et al.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
"Danny, I didn't see a single thing in your list that made me think less of Mandela. I question the agenda of posting these things on the eve of a great man's death."

Not trying to make anyone think less of him.

"You would not support the Declaration of Independence or the American Revolution? All armed rebellion is wrong? You would be opposed to defending our constitution with force?"

No, I am not an American. And no, not all armed rebellion is wrong.

"Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more. Hebrews 10:17"

You mistakenly have taken that quote out of context. Smile

Christ's Sacrifice Once for All
…16"THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS, SAYS THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS UPON THEIR HEART, AND ON THEIR MIND I WILL WRITE THEM," He then says, 17"AND THEIR SINS AND THEIR LAWLESS DEEDS I WILL REMEMBER NO MORE." 18Now where there is forgiveness of these things, there is no longer any offering for sin.

"So this whole forgiveness thing is just something you say then. Smile"

Forgiveness is one thing, but forgetting is something different.

I hold no hate for Mandela, and I am aware of the good that came out of it all, but it's amazing that all I did was mention some facts about his history and here I am wondering why we can't discuss those issue's in a reasonable debate? Back in the 80's, 90's the media and American Government had a different view of him.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

So you don't support the American Revolution and the Declaration of Independence because you're not an American? Good thing for us that the French and many other non-Americans supported and still support it. And many continue to emulate it and hold it to be a model for freedom loving people.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 17:03, mastermindreader wrote:
As has been noted, if Mandela was a terrorist, so were George Washington, John Adams, Francis Marion, Nathan Hale, et al.

If you say so.

Why did Mandela have to ally himself with all the enemies of the United States Of America. Why didn't the US go in and do something to help his cause?

I have an agenda, yes. That agenda is to understand more about the man. Just to be really clear here. I totally take his side when it comes to communism, and how he felt about the USA's involvement in the Middle East. In fact, there are other things he did, I also support. But, there are also many things e did I did not support. hy is it taboo to talk about them?
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 17:16, mastermindreader wrote:
So you don't support the American Revolution and the Declaration of Independence because you're not an American? Good thing for us that the French and many other non-Americans supported and still support it. And many continue to emulate it and hold it to be a model for freedom loving people.

Support it how? It's a pretty loaded question to ask of me, and then narrow it down when I say no.

I am a descendant of Britain who was raised in Montreal Quebec Canada. I was going to explain my position, but here is a snippet from Wiki.

From the outset of the Revolutionary War, George Washington believed he could deal Great Britain a fatal blow by seizing Montréal and Québec City—the most formidable British strongholds in North America. The American general dispatched two armies (commanded by General Richard Montgomery and Colonel Benedict Arnold) to the north to lay siege to the City of Québec and thereby conquer Canada, or more precisely, the "Province of Québec." It was also a way for the American revolutionists to forcefully rally Canadians to join their fight for independence. George Washington expected the Canadians to support the American cause and transform the invasion into a "war of liberation."

On the Canadian side, the governor of the province of Québec, Guy Carleton, who had only some 1,600 men—357 soldiers in the regular army, 450 seamen, 543 francophone militiamen, and 300 anglophone militiamen—stationed at the garrison to defend the colony, knew that the only way to prevail against the superior number of American revolutionists (some 8,000 men at the start, divided into two armies) was with the help of the Canadian public. He hoped that his policy of conciliation would bear fruit, but only the Canadian clergy (led by Catholic bishop of Québec, Mgr. Jean-Olivier Briand) and the nobility (lords) responded with any enthusiasm to the call by British authorities. The general public remained relatively indifferent, viewing the war as a "battle between the English." Even so, some Canadians helped the American troops (the "Sons of Liberty"), while others supported the British ("Red Tunics").

The American troops seized Montréal in 1775, but failed to take Québec City and were forced to rapidly withdraw before being chased and defeated at Lake Champlain (on Valcour Island). Nevertheless, American rebels remained in the province of Québec until the arrival of the British fleet on May 6, 1776. The Americans were extremely surprised to learn that their armies had been defeated. Rumours circulated in the United States that the American army had resorted to repressive measures, which led Canadians to actively support the British rather than remain neutral. The Americans were simply victims of their own inexperience; they were ill equipped and had already lost nearly half of their men even before arriving in Québec City.

But...I am now getting out of this thread. Smile
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 17:25, Danny Kazam wrote:

Why did Mandela have to ally himself with all the enemies of the United States Of America. Why didn't the US go in and do something to help his cause?

You do know that the US allied itself to Stalinist Russia during WW2 to defeat Fascism and Nazism don't you. Sometimes the enemy of your enemy is your friend even though you too are rivals.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The natives are restless tonight.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Yes, I do. And, we can talk about that without getting all uptight. Why not about Mandela's early past? We don't have to condone everything he did to know he was a good man in the end do we? We don't have to get defensive when his contoversal past is brought up. I think it's more healthy and honest when we do. We can all benifit from learning from the past. How can we though, when no one wants to?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2013-12-09 18:06, Danny Kazam wrote:
Yes, I do. And, we can talk about that without getting all uptight. Why not about Mandela's early past? We don't have to condone everything he did to know he was a good man in the end do we? We don't have to get defensive when his contoversal past is brought up. I think it's more healthy and honest when we do. We can all benifit from learning from the past. How can we though, when no one wants to?

good point, sir.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
History can be useful in understanding a person's motives. Let Mandela speak for himself. Some more from Mandela's 1964 speech to the court, explaining the reason the ANC took up arms after decades of non-violent resistance.

Quote:
...In 1960 there was the shooting at Sharpeville, which resulted in the proclamation of a state of emergency and the declaration of the ANC as an unlawful organisation. My colleagues and I, after careful consideration, decided that we would not obey this decree. The African people were not part of the government and did not make the laws by which they were governed. We believed in the words of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, that 'the will of the people shall be the basis of authority of the government,' and for us to accept the banning was equivalent to accepting the silencing of the Africans for all time. The ANC refused to dissolve, but instead went underground. We believed it was our duty to preserve this organisation which had been built up with almost fifty years of unremitting toil. I have no doubt that no self-respecting white political organisation would disband itself if declared illegal by a government in which it had no say.

In 1960 the government held a referendum which led to the establishment of the republic. Africans, who constituted approximately 70 per cent of the population of South Africa, were not entitled to vote, and were not even consulted about the proposed constitutional change. All of us were apprehensive of our future under the proposed white republic, and a resolution was taken to hold an all-in African conference to call for a national convention, and to organise mass demonstrations on the eve of the unwanted republic, if the government failed to call the convention. The conference was attended by Africans of various political persuasions. I was the secretary of the conference and undertook to be responsible for organising the national stay-at-home which was subsequently called to coincide with the declaration of the republic. As all strikes by Africans are illegal, the person organising such a strike must avoid arrest. I was chosen to be this person, and consequently I had to leave my home and family and my practice and go into hiding to avoid arrest.

The stay-at-home, in accordance with ANC policy, was to be a peaceful demonstration. Careful instructions were given to organisers and members to avoid any recourse to violence. The government's answer was to introduce new and harsher laws, to mobilise its armed forces, and to send saracens, armed vehicles, and soldiers into the townships in a massive show of force designed to intimidate the people. This was an indication that the government had decided to rule by force alone, and this decision was a milestone on the road to Umkhonto.

Some of this may appear irrelevant to this trial. In fact, I believe none of it is irrelevant because it will, I hope, enable the court to appreciate the attitude eventually adopted by the various persons and bodies concerned in the National Liberation Movement. When I went to jail in 1962, the dominant idea was that loss of life should be avoided. I now know that this was still so in 1963.

I must return to June 1961. What were we, the leaders of our people, to do? Were we to give in to the show of force and the implied threat against future action, or were we to fight it and, if so, how?

We had no doubt that we had to continue the fight. Anything else would have been abject surrender. Our problem was not whether to fight, but was how to continue the fight. We of the ANC had always stood for a non-racial democracy, and we shrank from any action which might drive the races further apart than they already were. But the hard facts were that fifty years of non-violence had brought the African people nothing but more and more repressive legislation, and fewer and fewer rights. It may not be easy for this court to understand, but it is a fact that for a long time the people had been talking of violence - of the day when they would fight the white man and win back their country - and we, the leaders of the ANC, had nevertheless always prevailed upon them to avoid violence and to pursue peaceful methods. When some of us discussed this in May and June of 1961, it could not be denied that our policy to achieve a non-racial state by non-violence had achieved nothing, and that our followers were beginning to lose confidence in this policy and were developing disturbing ideas of terrorism.

It must not be forgotten that by this time violence had, in fact, become a feature of the South African political scene. There had been violence in 1957 when the women of Zeerust were ordered to carry passes; there was violence in 1958 with the enforcement of cattle culling in Sekhukhuniland; there was violence in 1959 when the people of Cato Manor protested against pass raids; there was violence in 1960 when the government attempted to impose Bantu authorities in Pondoland. Thirty-nine Africans died in these disturbances. In 1961 there had been riots in Warmbaths, and all this time the Transkei had been a seething mass of unrest. Each disturbance pointed clearly to the inevitable growth among Africans of the belief that violence was the only way out - it showed that a government which uses force to maintain its rule teaches the oppressed to use force to oppose it. Already small groups had arisen in the urban areas and were spontaneously making plans for violent forms of political struggle. There now arose a danger that these groups would adopt terrorism against Africans, as well as whites, if not properly directed. Particularly disturbing was the type of violence engendered in places such as Zeerust, Sekhukhuniland, and Pondoland amongst Africans. It was increasingly taking the form, not of struggle against the government - though this is what prompted it - but of civil strife amongst themselves, conducted in such a way that it could not hope to achieve anything other than a loss of life and bitterness.

At the beginning of June 1961, after a long and anxious assessment of the South African situation, I, and some colleagues, came to the conclusion that as violence in this country was inevitable, it would be unrealistic and wrong for African leaders to continue preaching peace and non-violence at a time when the government met our peaceful demands with force.

This conclusion was not easily arrived at. It was only when all else had failed, when all channels of peaceful protest had been barred to us, that the decision was made to embark on violent forms of political struggle, and to form Umkhonto we Sizwe. We did so not because we desired such a course, but solely because the government had left us with no other choice. In the Manifesto of Umkhonto published on 16 December 1961, which is exhibit AD, we said:

"The time comes in the life of any nation when there remain only two choices - submit or fight. That time has now come to South Africa. We shall not submit and we have no choice but to hit back by all means in our power in defence of our people, our future, and our freedom."

This was our feeling in June of 1961 when we decided to press for a change in the policy of the National Liberation Movement. I can only say that I felt morally obliged to do what I did...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/apr/23/nelsonmandela1
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Exactly. Sometimes there is no choice but to fight.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Yes, I do. And, we can talk about that without getting all uptight. Why not about Mandela's early past? We don't have to condone everything he did to know he was a good man in the end do we? We don't have to get defensive when his contoversal past is brought up. I think it's more healthy and honest when we do. We can all benifit from learning from the past. How can we though, when no one wants to?"

Interesting that we need to now explain why it is a bad idea to bring up a person's controversial past at the moment of his death, but in this day and age when the we have the Westboro baptist church picketing soldiers funerals to make a political point, I guess what used to pass as common courtesy is a foreign concept.

We don't bring up things like this now out of respect for those that are mourning and celebrating his life. And out of respect for him. Bringing up whatever was done in the past now is a little like the guy who decides that the eulogy is a good time to settle past scores. You want to start a thread a month from now? a year? go ahead. But most people were hopefully raised better than to fart at a funeral.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Speaking of the good folks of Westboro...
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/07/we......funeral/
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Or celebrating the assassination of Bin Laden, or Muslims killed fighting for their freedom from oppression from the western world. Extremists fighting against western invaders. Acts of violence because of a cause resulting in the deaths of innocent lives. Yes, you would be right if that was the case with everyone.

We dance on graves we call our enemies, but say we align ourselves with enemies to fight the bigger enemy. Mandela aligned himself with those the western world considers to be enemies, and he did so to fight against the bigger enemies. Who were they?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Nelson Mandela RIP (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL