The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Adhesive for repairing Flipper coin (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
323 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I use Tacky Glue from my local Arts & Craft Shop,...doesn't make a mess,holds forever,easy to separate the pieces if I need to & peels right off. Try it...you'll never use anything else again.
future4told
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of future4told
Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2016, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I have a Tango US Quarter flipper and every time the band break (often) I re did it with super glue. Just a dab, it holds fine and I have never - not been able to clean off the old with an exacto knife. (due to it just being a dab)

For what it's worth, get a "NGF" next generation flipper from Mark Mason (or the flipper Joe Mogar sells) and don't worry about repairs again. You have to try really hard to break one of these babies.

I used to use super glue but it was a real pain. Difficult to get things clean, concern about permanently sealing the flipper closed, or needing to start all over if I didn't get the insert positioned just right. Simply too much trouble for something that would have to be done again before too long.

I haven't yet, but since I've replaced (almost) all my rubber bands with elastic cord, I'm thinking about going back to super glue -- but then I haven't had a reason to take any flippers apart again either. Smile

I'm not sure what you mean by "rubber cord". Can you give me a fuller description, please?

Thanks

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2019 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2016, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "rubber cord". Can you give me a fuller description, please?

Not rubber, elastic.
On my half dollars I use 0.5mm "Stretch Magic" brand. Sometimes I'm able to use two loops of it. It all depends on how much room is in the groove, especially for accommodating the knot that needs to be tied.
I've got a text file around here somewhere with a write-up I saved some time back. Will PM that to you if I can dig it up.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1018 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Inigmntoya, do you have any hints or tips on how to tie the elastic cord. I have Triception and was able to replace it once, but it was extremely difficult to tie the knot for me. I would like to replace the rubber bands in a number of other coins I have, but the thought of having to make those little tiny knots has caused me to put off off this task.

Thanks,
John
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2016, inigmntoya wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2016, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

Not rubber, elastic.
On my half dollars I use 0.5mm "Stretch Magic" brand. Sometimes I'm able to use two loops of it. It all depends on how much room is in the groove, especially for accommodating the knot that needs to be tied.
I've got a text file around here somewhere with a write-up I saved some time back. Will PM that to you if I can dig it up.

Thank you. I have a spool of stretch magic so I'm ready to experiment. Curious about the knot you use.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2019 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
RE: Knots

I basically do it the way it's taught on the Triception DVD, but I make sure I use square knots ("Right over left, left over right...") but it can be tricky because the cord is thin and if you don't want to waste a lot you're tying tiny little ends and fine motor skills are required. On top of that the stuff is rather slippery so if you don't get it real snug it tends to slide itself apart. Two things that I've tried that can help:

1: If the knot isn't too big/thick, you can (GENTLY!) "wedge" the knot into the groove to help it hold. Groove size/depth varies with maker so this may not be enough to keep the knot together.

2: Super glue. Just enough to fill in and around the knot itself. I do this FAR FAR AWAY from the flipper parts and wait DARN GOOD AND LONG to MAKE SURE it's fully dry before going anywhere near the flipper parts. Then I go back to step 1.

The other thing is getting the tension right. Personally I think it's better to be a bit too tight than a bit too loose. If it's tight you can stretch and hold it for a while, and it will loosen up for a while (long enough to perform a routine), but will eventually settle back to where it was, or close to it. Not much you can do with too loose other than starting over.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
940 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Dec 6, 2013, David Neighbors wrote:
Yea I know That's what Todd Uses! Smile

Got me the carpet tape as well! Great minds! ha!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Adhesive for repairing Flipper coin (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL