We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Loosing work while defending hypnotism to laymen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Yes, that is a classic quote. I think there are two camps of non-believers: 1) Those who don't believe to be stubborn, 2) Those who don't believe due to lack of proof.

If the audience is filled with the type 1, then you are right...there is no hope. But if those 10 audience members are type 2, well then...a little proof will go a long way.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2013-12-12 12:25, dmkraig wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 16:49, insight wrote:
There is a simple way to solve this problem. If he has 10 audience members, why not hypnotize all of them and provide them with a video? This is concrete proof...no audience member will think that they were themselves a stooge---problem solved...right?

Regards,
Mike

Unfortunately not. This is about belief, not proof. As Dunninger used to say, "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is enough."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20332 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Sounds to me like it just might be easier to make a new friend.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
[quote]On 2013-12-12 14:10, insight wrote:

If the audience is filled with the type 1, then you are right...there is no hope. But if those 10 audience members are type 2, well then...a little proof will go a long way.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
Possibly, Mike. My question, however, is WHY would you want to spend all that time on an audience to MAYBE convince a small proportion of people? Is it worth that much to you? If so, then it's not really about convincing someone else, it's more about "proving" that you're right.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20332 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Mark Lewis always said "a person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still. "

While I hate to agree with the dude and it causes physical pain to type the words...he is right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Danny's suggestion that it might be easier to make a new friend seems like the best suggestion in the whole thread. If this is upsetting you emotionally then you really need to look within. You are being reactive rather than proactive. You are letting other people push your buttons. There are just some things in life that are out of your control. Someone can only make you feel bad if you give them permission.

Maybe its worth looking into the reasons why its so important for you to change someone else's view? Why bother? Who cares? Find people who are like minded and hang out with them instead.

By the way you wouldn't want to hang out with Mark Lewis with regards to this subject..
RScot
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of RScot
Quote:
On 2013-12-08 01:31, Dannydoyle wrote:
You got into an argument about it? Why exactly?

Oh I don't know, maybe trying to defend his friend who was being labelled a cheat and a fraud. I mean we are supposed to stick by our friends aren't we?
RScot
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of RScot
If I recall correctly I believe David Berglas talked about his experience with hypnotism in one of the DVDs included with his book. He talks about it having some negative side effects on some people and decided that he should stop doing it. I would say that if something had a lasting impact on a person then it certainly was real. I, however, have never studied the craft myself. So I know very little about it.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9973 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I can't belive this thread has continued on his long. Do you feel you have to convince every skeptic or non-believer? Your performance should do the talking for you. Every show I (and all of us do) there are many non-believers and skeptics. You simply do a great show where they see the process before you eyes, and most will change their perceptions. If not, no big deal, it's not your job to make them do or believe anything.

This is also why you do attempt hypnosis or theory with family and friends.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 17:38, Dannydoyle wrote:
Mark Lewis always said "a person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still. "

While I hate to agree with the dude and it causes physical pain to type the words...he is right.

Then I'll save you the pain. That quote has been attributed to Benjamin Franklin and later, to Dale Carnegie. An earlier version, "He that complies against his will, Is of the same opinion still" comes from Samuel Butler (1612-1660).

All three of whom were notably better performers than ML.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Paul;

Impress your friend with one of these, buy one and perform it on him

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3652
quicknotist
View Profile
Special user
888 Posts

Profile of quicknotist
I've used one of those and it was a lot of fun!

A couple of problems, if you'll forgive me for being serious:
It produces what is obviously an optical illusion/anomaly which has nothing to do with hypnosis.
It doesn't work for everybody, so we're back to square one.

Quote:
On 2013-12-15 00:58, Howie Diddot wrote:
Paul;

JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Personally I could care less. I think I was about two years into my career when I realised I was not there to prove hypnosis to those who don't believe, but to use it with those who do and then let the rest make their minds up and think whatever. I haven't read any of the other posts here, these are just my thoughts.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3286 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Quote:

Quote:
On 2013-12-15 00:58, Howie Diddot wrote:
Paul;

On 2013-12-15 05:23, quicknotist wrote:
I've used one of those and it was a lot of fun!

A couple of problems, if you'll forgive me for being serious:
It produces what is obviously an optical illusion/anomaly which has nothing to do with hypnosis.
It doesn't work for everybody, so we're back to square one.

I forgive you for being serious, but don't let it happen again; and to answer your serious question,

The Shrinking and Growing Head Illusion is a magic trick; hypnosis, or an optical illusion only makes a difference to us.

I don't think the audience knows the difference as long as they are entertained

That being said and off topic from the original post, to get back on topic, Hypnosis is real and that people can be manipulated by being hypnotized
hypnofande
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of hypnofande
Thanks to everyone for sharing their views here (and those of you who have PM'd me as well). This is a really fascinating forum and it's great to hear views of hypnotists with a lot of experience in the field. I know it is a banned topic here about whether hypnosis is real/fake etc. However, I did wonder, purely out of curiosity, what would "convince" someone (something they would consider "proof") that hypnosis was real? Would it be something as simple as having someone forget the number 3 and then count 6 fingers on their right hand? Or have them forget their name? Or perhaps have people see things that aren't there (and vice versa). If people say that something isn't real surely they must have some idea what would convince them to change their mind? I'm not getting into the real/fake argument - just asking what phenomenon would people consider valid proof.
Hypnosis - it's all in the imagination...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20332 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Obviously nothing will convince you it is not real. What makes you think they are any less resolute in their belief?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
hypnofande
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of hypnofande
Hi Danny, Not sure I understand your logic. I gave a few examples of possible proof and was wondering what people would be expecting to convince them either way. I'd say that not being able to count or remember your name were at the very least indicative that some sort of process was at work. As far as I can make out "they" would say that people are lying and can really count or remember their name and are just "pretending" or "playing along".
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20332 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
First off why bother?

Second of all it will never convince them. NEVER.

So why bother?

What is obvious to one is a load of crap to another. Which brings me to the final point. Why bother?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
hypnofande
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of hypnofande
Hi Danny, I see you are of the opinion that some people can never be convinced and will never change their mind. I was just wondering what "proof" they would expect to see which they haven't yet seen. I was interested to hear from anyone who'd be honest enough to admit what sort of demonstration or phenomena would at the very least make them question their original opinion.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20332 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Look at how invested you are in this opinion. Then tell me you think someone will change.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
C_Biskit
View Profile
New user
United States
82 Posts

Profile of C_Biskit
I read the OP story and some of the shorter responses. I agree that it is pointless waiting and wanting to debate. It seems like right now you are a Bible pusher and he is an Atheist. If he is a good friend then you will be able to agree to disagree. But if the remarks that he makes about hypnotism and they bother you that much let him know. And if he keeps doing it after you ask him to stop, he isn't a very good friend. You can always make new and better business contacts, it seems like you are afraid of hurting his feelings because he will take it personally and not do business with you. Kind of seems like an a hole to me. Personally if someone was making me this mad to make a thread on the Café I wouldn't deal with them. Like I said, there is more business contacts out there and if you lose this one it won't be the end of the world. Seems like a silly thing though to argue about. I think you know what you should do or what your gut is telling you to do.

Best
Andy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Loosing work while defending hypnotism to laymen (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL