The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Polygraph" by Ben Blau - a card mentalism effect (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10~11~12 [Next]
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Very interesting! Well, the effects from your creation certainly deserve a place among the top releases this year. I give you the "researcher of the year" award from a magic perspective, given how many variations you have been able to research---it is simply brilliant.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On 2013-12-09 19:28, Ben Blau wrote:
That researcher of the year is, coincidentally, a different Ben Blau. Not me in this case! LOL
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2013-12-08 06:45, landmark wrote:
I *think* I know what's going on, and it's very clever. If I'm wrong, thanks for leading my mind in an interesting direction. Smile
A nice lesson too in congruence and giving directions clearly.

Exactly my thoughts!
Funny thing is: even the bonus effect can be accomplished with the subtelty I have in mind. But as always it's not about the technique (be it as old as the hills) but the routining.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Don't run if you are not being chased.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Horses for courses.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Too much messing around trying to prove everything is "fair". Same with other versions where you ask someone to buy a new pack etc... mental magic not mentalism.

There are so many better ways to present a "this is yours? -NO " Ploy which I have always found boring.

Patrick was impressed because he couldn't figure out the method. this is a magician's effect not a layman's...

I fell asleep half way through.

if people are trying to figure out what the method was it isn't mentalism.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
MindPunisher… I have to respectfully disagree with you.

This is a great trick for layman as well as magicians. The method is very practical and there doesn't have to entertain as much "proving" as seen in the video. We purposefully shot the effect this way to make it clear how fair everything can be so those watching the trick for method would understand what the trick is and what it isn't. Part of the fun of this effect is Ben's scripting. He's engaging, interesting, and the whole effect has a great special feel to it. When you're in the hot seat you feel like you're watching an effect only a few people in the world can accomplish. This is really something special.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
The effect is as old as the hills. "Answer no to everything etc" It really is nothing new. The method may or may not be new. This effect is being sold upon the method not the effect.

All your effects should feel as if only a few people in the world could accomplish!

I don't see anything special. If you could detect lies this way you wouldn't need to go that far to prove eveything is fair. Its not about the cards its about your ability to detect a lie. And most lay people already believe this is possible anyway. You don't need to go this far to convince them.

I thought it was a really tedious process to get to an average effect that could be done in any number of ways.

But that's just me.

Really get someone to buy a new pack before you meet them? that's not mental magic?

As Nimrod posted don't run if your not being chased. Its simple lie detector test.
MentalMidget
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of MentalMidget
Way to ignore Patrick's response, Mindpunisher.

As to them beating the dead horse of fairness.

"We purposefully shot the effect this way to make it clear how fair everything CAN be so those watching the trick for method would understand what the trick is and what it isn't." ~Patrick

Beyond that, based on some stuff that Ben said, the point seems to be that this method can be applied to more than just cards.

Also - sure... there are many ways to accomplish an effect that's kind of similar to what we see in the video but that's just another strength. Being able to accomplish similar effects with multiple methods that can be cross-applied to other effects is key to building a high quality act.

I'm not even going to touch the "mentalism" vs. "mental magic" comment (leaving that right next to how many angels can dance on the head of a pin) but...

This is obviously a creative method (or at least a creative use for one) and that is always a great thing.

Thanks for the contribution, Ben.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 12:37, mindpunisher wrote:
Too much messing around trying to prove everything is "fair". Same with other versions where you ask someone to buy a new pack etc... mental magic not mentalism.

There are so many better ways to present a "this is yours? -NO " Ploy which I have always found boring.

Patrick was impressed because he couldn't figure out the method. this is a magician's effect not a layman's...

I just want to say that it's perfectly fair for ANYONE to not have a favorable opinion on this routine. I have no wish to defend my presenation, nor argue the point on what is mentalism or mental magic. The routine simply is what it is, and I realize it will appeal to some, and not others. There is no need to come down on Mindpunisher for his views. Passionate dissenting views can only advance our art, and make us think about what's important.

-Ben Blau
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Thanks Ben I highly respect you for that reply

I am pretty clear on why Patrick filmed it that way to show how clean the method is. The whole focus was on the method. Which is why this is a magician's effect. The actual effect is a simple lie detection effect. That could be done equally well or a lot better with any number of methods. the effect is to show you can detect lies from the tonality of a voice. that's THE EFFECT.

For me its an average effect and doesn't need a big build up or proof of fairness. I might use this type of effect as a build up to something much bigger. I never use proof of fairness as a buildup that's what magician's do. And to be fair the actual effect is pretty average and low on the scale of abilities as most people believe it can be done anyway.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 13:49, mindpunisher wrote:
Thanks Ben I highly respect you for that reply

I am pretty clear on why Patrick filmed it that way to show how clean the method is. The whole focus was on the method. Which is why this is a magician's effect. The actual effect is a simple lie detection effect. That could be done equally well or a lot better with any number of methods. the effect is to show you can detect lies from the tonality of a voice. that's THE EFFECT.

For me its an average effect and doesn't need a big build up or proof of fairness. I might use this type of effect as a build up to something much bigger. I never use proof of fairness as a buildup that's what magician's do. And to be fair the actual effect is pretty average and low on the scale of abilities as most people believe it can be done anyway.

Thank you for your feedback. If anything, it will make potential buyers reflect on what their personal priorities are.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
For what its worth I didn't see "how" it was done I am sure the method is very clever.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Thank you for that. As will be seen on the full video, there are several handlings and ways to utilize the principle. I plan to demonstrate versions with ESP cards, zodiac signs, emotional states, childhood memories, even scratch and sniff stickers (I know, that sounds weird).

I also plan to reveal one of my best "think of
a card" routines, which I believe really lives up to the name.

Ultimately, it's about finding material that suits your style using methods you are comfortable with.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
By the way I have nothing against magicians I love watching good magic.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
[/quote]

I just want to say that it's perfectly fair for ANYONE to not have a favorable opinion on this routine. I have no wish to defend my presenation, nor argue the point on what is mentalism or mental magic. The routine simply is what it is, and I realize it will appeal to some, and not others. There is no need to come down on Mindpunisher for his views. Passionate dissenting views can only advance our art, and make us think about what's important.

-Ben Blau
[/quote]

Uncommon class.
RScot
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of RScot
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 13:25, Ben Blau wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 12:37, mindpunisher wrote:

-Ben Blau

I for one thought it was great. I think as long as you can have the spectator's full attention and not be somewhere loud and distracting then it's a very engaging piece. This is especially good for those spectators who love to try and trip you up and are eyeballing your every move. Your guy seemed a little that way, asking to shuffle again at random. As a result I think it was even more baffling for him because he seemed to be actively looking for the weak spot and never found it. Smile

I am very interested in purchasing this when you decide to put it out. Do you have an email list I can get on?
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Let me check with Patrick on that.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
For me, the loud and distracting venues are exactly the places I would never perform, but then again, I am a strictly social performer. I am fine to NOT do mentalism when the performance conditions and environment are not favorable. Professional entertainers might have different needs, and this in fact may not suit them if they perform in the types of environments where quick and shocking visual effects are needed.
Wizzard
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Wizzard
It's never the wand, it's always the magician
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Fantastic resource. I've only recently became aware of this website, and think it's wonderful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Polygraph" by Ben Blau - a card mentalism effect (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL