The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Polygraph" by Ben Blau - a card mentalism effect (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Question:

Since I plan to reveal quite a few additional pieces along with Polygraph, some of which are truly pet effects of mine, do you think I should make this a limited release? (This question is posed to those of you who like it, obviously).

Your answers are valuable to me, so thank you in advance should you decide to respond here.

-Ben Blau
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its a personal choice I would have thought?! how do you feel about:

making money from your thinking?
do you want anyone with a credit card being able to have access to it?
would you rather offer it to a certain group instead?
do you want to have it sold by online shops or do you want to control it?
then do you want to offer physical copies, or just electronic?
and there's nothing to say you 'have to' release the things you say are pet routines of yours, why not keep them?
what do you want out of the whole experience?

that's what I'd consider, for what its worth...
I've asked to be banned
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Limited in terms of # who can purchase it?

Personally, since you are newer (as I recall) in terms of releasing stuff... I think you would be better off simply releasing it and allowimg the greatest number of people be exposed to and enjoy your new effect(s).

Limited releases for me would be for people I have purcased items from in the past and have a track record which earns my trust and also willingness to pay extra for something that is limited.

Just my thoughts Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I just want to contribute to the body of literature in some permanent and constructive way. I also would take personal pride in seeing others using the material if they are serious performers and are doing it justice or improving on it further.

I'm not expecting to make huge sums of money selling this. I've thought about writing a book many times, but life gets in the way, and Patrick's suggestion of releasing my material on video might be a more practical way to go, due to my circumstances.

I don't want everyone and his brother knowing my stuff, and would be saddened to see it seeded all over the Torrent sites.

Since I have virtually no experience releasing material, I guess I need to consider the possible consequences of how I choose to proceed. Any constructive words of wisdom from those who have found themselves facing this same dillema would be much appreciated.
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I'm starting to wonder if a physical DVD is safer than an instant download. (?)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
As soon as you release something electronically, it becomes that much easier to share unfortunately... I have even had something of mine bought, then cut up, scanned, and then reprinted and sold in china...

there's no avoiding it - however, personally speaking - printed makes it a little more difficult (about 30 minutes more difficult to be brutal!)...

it is unfortunately - just a sad byproduct of the times...

if its a case of having the one technique or "thing" you can teach, and then they all port over to other presentations easily enough, then that's one thing...but if you have to teach more and more so that you can do all the other stuff, then that's another...

you could release the main "thing" of it, do it as a nice hardback, sell maybe 250 of them...then release video updates that would make zero sense to anyone unless they have the book....

you could do it all electronically and to hell with the worry of it being seeded/shared...

or a pure paperback only copy, with future add on volumes as and when you see fit...

I can only say what I would do if I had created what you have - I think I would be tempted to shoot a vid and explanation, and then just ask maybe three top pros that you and patrick respect and trust and see what they think...this feels very max maven in a positive way, and I'm sure patrick already has some go to guys to share ideas with anyway... that's what I'd be inclined to do... and I think I'd put it in hardback only...
I've asked to be banned
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
Thank you IAIN. I will give this serious consideration.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ben,

Do not ask us about limited releases - at least not on an open forum. Your best bet is to ask Patrick/George whom you are good friends with and has been publishing his gold for a while. Here you might get a good answer but why not just take it to those who have experience doing this than the group here who may be providing conjectural ideas only.

Note: if its any good, all of it will hit the torrent sites eventually. I suggest you kickstarted the thing, collect all the names of people who want to buy, make it limited, and sell it all in one big swoop. Get all your money up front at release. However, take what I said above seriously and weigh my words with grains of salt... for I do not publish magic/mentalism for profit.

Best of luck!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I will do that. Thank you.
brad12d3
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of brad12d3
I think your routine is amazing! It's very clean and fair and impossible looking. If you are interested in releasing it then but don't want it put all over the internet then you might do a limited release at a higher price. I for one don't mind at all passing extra for something I think I could use.

I have bought some very expensive literature in the past. Some I thought was with it and some I didn't. But I do that once in a blue moon and so it doesn't break the bank. Higher prices can weed out the impulse buyers and those who aren't serious performers. Maybe it won't entirely weed them out but it's a much safer bet. If you do decide to release it then I would definitely be interested in checking it out. Best of luck!
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
544 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Another thing to consider is production cost vs. product cost to help determine your price point.
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
All such great advice. I am really grateful to have those more experienced than I willing to provide some guidance on this matter. Your help means a great deal to me.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
I think that if you want people to purchase it you should show them how it plays out in a real world environment (close up, stage , etc.).
Right now it is indeed very hard to crack but frankly who cares (maybe only those who look for a slow effect to perform in their living room for a magician friend).
If this method can be used in a "worker" then show it, and I (and many others I believe) will buy it.

My 2 cents,

Nimrod , Israel
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
It depends on how you define "real world environment." For me, the "real world" is always social situations. I am not a stage performer (don't care to be), and am not marketing this effect as such. By the way, it is perfectly legitimate to be a professionally competent performer whose chosen venue is the "real world" of social interaction with friends. A living room is a fine venue for the performance of mentalism. There is no reason to look down with disdain at social performers. I couldn't care less about performing on stage, restaurants, or comedy clubs. I am not going out of my way to re-shoot the same effect over and over again in what for me would be contrived settings. If the effect doesn't satisfy your personal criteria, so be it.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
In the end your best advisor really is Patrick. He has the knowledge and connections based on past releases in many formats.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
That's true. We're having a preproduction meeting next week, and that will be a discussion point.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I agree. Real world in the living room is perfectly legit and one of my favorite Venues. No need for demos in shopping malls, parlor, stage, and on the Las Vegas strip 😄

If it's good then any of us can modify to suit our own preferred venue.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Shouldn't a demo should be recorded in the most natural environment for you, the performer? if you force yourself into a scenario that you are uncomfortable in, and feels alien to you - that will come across in performance, surely?
I've asked to be banned
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I agree with that.
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 10:59, Ben Blau wrote:
It depends on how you define "real world environment." For me, the "real world" is always social situations. I am not a stage performer (don't care to be), and am not marketing this effect as such. By the way, it is perfectly legitimate to be a professionally competent performer whose chosen venue is the "real world" of social interaction with friends. A living room is a fine venue for the performance of mentalism. There is no reason to look down with disdain at social performers. I couldn't care less about performing on stage, restaurants, or comedy clubs. I am not going out of my way to re-shoot the same effect over and over again in what for me would be contrived settings. If the effect doesn't satisfy your personal criteria, so be it.

If that's the case and that's your target audience then you are doing a great job.
If there are professional applications for that method (which I must admit fooled me) I think you should take the time and shoot (not re-shoot) more clips to appeal to bigger crowd, because with that clip only you lost me, and I believe many others.
I would even given it to a few working mentalists to play with it for a few months to see what they come up with (and even shooting them doing it). You could release a complete produce (effect, method and presentation). Right now it's a so so effect with an (so it seems) excellent method.

Nimrod , Israel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Polygraph" by Ben Blau - a card mentalism effect (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL