The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Google Ad Words - What's up?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
A general question for the guys that do ad words on Google.

(Note: I do not use ad words)

When you used to do a Google search and the results appeared, the couple of ads at the top of the page were on a reddish background seperating them from the organic search results.

Over time the background colour had gotten lighter to the point that you could hardly tell where the ads left off and the "real" search results started. This seemed good marketing to me for the folks that used this form of advertising, and of course, good for Google.

Now when you do a search, beside EACH ad at the top, and over the ads down the side, and even at the bottom, the word "Ad" appears in a bright yellow box. (There have been some other subtle changes also implemented by Google.)

I'm just wondering how, or if, this is impacting results.

To me it is self defeating for Google, and I am wondering if it is impacting results for those that use this form of advertising. (It may be due to advertising regulations ie. a newspaper putting the word "advertising" over a news looking story.)

It's now like a magazine where the first 10 (pages) are advertising, how many of us skip over them to get to the table of contents?

So, I am not sure why Google implemented this, but I am sure they are also testing results.

Have any ad word users noticed a drop in results?

Blair
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Oh, and folks can read the many on-line thoughts about this, there are several blogs discussing this topic. There is even talk that Google may be able to, in the future, intersperse ads within the organic search results.

My question is to the magic guys using this form of advertising, and if they have noticed a decline in calls/business from them.

Blair
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I have not seen a drop in clicks nor CTR. Google is still really powerful and a big part if my marketing strategy because it works if you do it right.

Note: I've also lost a lot of money with Adwords from my own mistakes. Cleaned up my mistakes and took time to learn how to do it right and couldn't be happier.

Josh
Josh
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Ok the reason you are seeing this is due to a HUGE change that Google is making over how their search engine operates and an all new algorithm for searches taking place. Everything that we have come to know, learn and educate ourselves on, we will have to redo as the roll out takes effect. Google is taking an approach that is more based on location, distance and population density over standard SEO practices. If you would like more information, let me know as I have been researching this a LOT of late.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I absolutely agree with Kyle and would like to add that the beauty of ppc is that a good ad that speaks to the searcher combined with a quality landing page that gives the searcher the answers they seek will always be in style. So many people focused on keyword density in their websites years ago that their site now have "magician" as every other word. Google caught on to that and stopped it. Google wants the sites they recommend to be the perfect match for their users.

Josh
Josh
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Kyle,

I would direct you to many of the blogs to learn about the reason for the addition of the word "Ad". The placement of the word "AD" has more to do with regulations that Google may be facing and other factors, which are detailed on them, some spec., some factual.

Josh, glad to hear it has not affected you. I was wondering if it would have an impact on some of the users. I don't think anyone would dispute the value of ppc, but I was wondering if Google had lessened the value in some way.

Blair
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
I don't use Ad Words, and I don't normally search for magicians, but I use Google a lot when I'm researching topics, products, songs, etc. I seemed to have conditioned myself to subconsciencely see the AD notice and not even see the ad I do the same in magazines. I never even see the ad, much less click on it. I've noticed recently that even when I'm shopping for a particular item I don't see and click on the ads. I always go to the generic listings only. I admit that I'm not the typical target of anyone's marketing.

It's like that with TV for me too, except for those K-Mart ads for "giffing out." Over the "Black Weekend" I saw so many of them (they're still going on) and they annoyed me so much that K-Mart is now off my list until I forget about those ads.

Bazinga!
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Bazinga,

That's what a lot of folks do, that is why Kyle and Josh's comments are valid. I used to start reading below the "box" which differentiated the ads from the organic search. Then that disappeared.

But now its seems Google is trying to appease some higher authority with the word "AD" beside each ad at the top, but you can trust Google to try and use any regulations to their advantage, like putting a paid ad amongst the actual search returns.

Blair
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Yes Blair, I can see where they would want to do that.

And to show the exception to the rule, or the paradoxical Bazinga behavior, I got a multi-page flier from Tru Value Hardware in the paper today. On the way to the trashcan something on the back page caught my eye and I ended up looking through the whole thing.

Bazinga!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Another thing to note is that as changes are being rolled out, adwords are getting lower on the page then where they used to be. I am not sure if they are planning to address this but there have been a lot of folks quite upset about it once they started seeing the new changes roll out.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Google Ad Words - What's up?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL