The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Useful Hypnotism Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Any suggestions for someone just looking into this field? Heavy stuff is ok; I'm looking for more than a "Hyptotism for Dummies" sort of thing; on the other hand, if there's a great general reference book, that's good, too.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
Need more information for a logical answer. Stage Hypnosis, Hypnotherapy or just cool stuff at the party.
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
adrian333
View Profile
New user
London - UK
53 Posts

Profile of adrian333
Read the Hypnotic Patterns of Milton Erickson, it's not at all the kind of book that will give you 5 easy steps or anything like that, but I think it's excellent and fascinating to read and give you a feel for what you're about to learn.
Then, look at Ormond Mcgill if you have the money. You can also find a lot of info online for free, but as magicalpirate said, you really need to know what type of hypnotism you'll be getting into..

Adrian
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Thanks for some speedy replies. I am interested in stage hypnotism, self-hypnosis, and hypnotherapy.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Tantrik
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Tantrik
I'm currently studying for a degree in clinical hypnotherapy, so I think I can give you some valid answers. I'm sure others may disagree, so YMMV.

1) Stage Hypnotism—You must have the New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism by Ormand Mcgill. Everything else pales in comparison. It is the most complete. See also his Professional Stage Hypnotism. Then see a bunch of stage hypnotists. If you're not in an area where this is possible, get some videos, remembering "Sturgeon's Law": 90% of everything is garbage.

Please be aware that stage hypnotism has little (other than the appearance) in common with hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis. Although there are many crossovers, the purpose of hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis is usually to create a change in a person's behavior. Stage hypnosis is an entertainment. I would also suggest taking courses on acting and stagecraft. Learn how to walk across a stage and act the roll of a hypnotist.

One of the most important aspects of hypnosis is what happens before people are hypnotized. Learn how to give (or have made) a professional introduction. Learn how to give a good pre-talk. You will literally have people hypnotized (or ready to be hypnotized) before they come on stage

Hypnotherapy: There are so many good books on the subject. There are also different focuses of hypnosis. For example, some people may use "regression to cause" while others ignore that altogether. Some people use classical, dominating suggestions while others use suggestions which work to empower the client and follow the ideas of Milton Erickson. Books I would suggest include:
Handbook of Professional Hypnosis by Arons & Bubeck
Hypnoanalysis by Wolberg
Hypnosis by Stockwell
Hypnosis for Change by Hadley and Stadacher
Hypnotherapy for children by Thompson
Hypnotic Realityies by Erickson and Rossi
Innovative Hypnotherapy by Erickson
Medical Hypnosis (2 volumes) by Wolberg
My voice Will go With You by Rossen
The New Hypnosis in Family Therapy by Araoz
Time Line therapy by James and Woodsmall
Trance-Formations by Grinder & Bandler
Trancework by Yapko
The Wizard Within by Krasner
Innovative Hypnotherapy by Erickson
Hypnotherapy by Elman

I'm sure others will suggest many other books.

Finally, self-hypnosis (which is actually a generic name for two techniques, self-hypnosis where you hypnotize yourself and have suggestions given through a variety of means, and autohypnosis where you do everything) is, in my opinion, a modification of hypnotizing another (technically known as hetero-hypnosis). Basically, all you have to do is learn to hypnotize yourself and use the concepts and suggestions given in some of the books above. Many of the books above include instructions on self-hypnosis. You might also try:
How to Hypnotize Yourself and Others by Copeland
Healing Yourself with Self-Hypnosis by Caprio, Berger and Miller
Self-Hypnosis: Acomplete Manual for Health and Self-Change by Alman and Lambrou

I would also suggest contacting various professional groups such as the American Board of Hypnotherapy
http://hypnosis.com/abh/
and The National Guild of Hypnotists
http://www.ngh.net/

The image of the hypnotist going "You are getting sleepy" and controlling clients while waving a watch are a century out of date. Hypnotherapy is a powerful tool that requires the same amount of study, dedication, and practice as does any helping profession.

Would you want to go to a brain surgeon who had only studied from books? Then why would you want to become a person who helps people alter their minds with only book training? I would respectfully suggest that you take workshops and classes to add to your book training.

I hope this helps!
marc_us
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of marc_us
You may also be wish to check out Steven Heller's book:

Monsters and Magical Sticks or There's No Such Thing As Hypnosis

It's written from the viewpoint that everything is hypnosis. Been sometime since I last read it but if memory serves me right, it doesn't provide any techniques but provides discussion and food for thought.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Another one to read would be General Techniques of Hypnotism by Andre M. Weitzenhoffer.

For self hypnosis, I heartily recommend getting your hands on some of Wendi Friesen's (www.wendi.com) CD's on the topic.

Also Altered States of Consciousness by Charles Tart and The Experience of Hypnosis by Hilgard & Hilgard would be superb choices as well.

Getting a certification through the National Guild of Hypnotists is an excellent choice (www.ngh.net). They have a great convention in mid-August, but it often conflicts with Abbotts.

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
http://www.leedarrow.com
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Marc-us.
I agree. Monsters and Magical Sticks is an excellent thought-provoking read when read in conjunction with An Introduction to NLP.

Howard
hmk
View Profile
New user
uk
68 Posts

Profile of hmk
A good place to start is the mcgill 'professional stage hypnotism' an easy to read,informative paperback written by ormond in 1977.the 'encyclopedia'is rightly so the bible for those interested in stage work and due to its size and weight comes in handy as a doorstop.ormond still teaches,why not use a search engine and locate one of the seminars.
good luck!
hmk
Brad Hall
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, Ok
40 Posts

Profile of Brad Hall
Although you asked for books, as a novice I found videos more helpful. You might try one of the videos from http://www.hypnosiscenter.com to your liking.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
As well as the list of books that Tantrik and others have provided, the following are worth reading:

On stage hypnosis:

Jerry Valley, Inside Secrets of Professional Stage Hypnotism

On hypnotherapy:

Gil Boyne, Transforming Therapy
Milton Erickson, Collected papers on Hypnosis (4 volumes), especially volume 4

On self-hypnosis:

Ormond McGill, Hypnotism and Meditation

There are plenty more, but the above should keep you occupied during the cold winter evenings.
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi LobowolfXXX
As a professional Stage Hypnotist. I belive you should start out with Ormond McGill's "The New Encyclopedia Of Stage Hypnotism" and then try and learn some of the techniques from there before moving on to some of the other recomended books, as a mass of information right at the start of learning may mean that you miss some valuable knowledge (kind of not seeing the wood for the trees)
Start with the basics and work your way up from there, then you can be sure that you will be able to control any situation you find yourself in.
If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Dave
Vikke Matikainen
View Profile
New user
Finland
60 Posts

Profile of Vikke Matikainen
Check out the Karl Fahler's Hypnosis. Written by professional psychiatrist and hypnotist. Has lot of theory in it. Don't know is it translated in english tho.
"The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to make sense."
- Tom Clancy
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
A question to the group:
I own a first edition "The Art of Stage Hypnotism"(1975) by Ormond McGill. In the Preface, he refers to this book as Volume 2 of the Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism bringing his 1947 title "up to current date". Is the "New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism" these two textbooks combined or a different new writing on the subject?
Thanks
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi GeorgeG
I belive it is a combination of the old works along with some previously unreleased writings. I f you need anymore info just ask.
Dave.
Dr Omni
View Profile
Regular user
UK
199 Posts

Profile of Dr Omni
Yes - The "New Encyclopedia" supersedes Ormond's previous books on stage hypnosis and includes new material not included in the earlier works. Also, the "New Encylopedia" is much more readable, as Ormond's writing style in his earlier books was somewhat convoluted (but the content was always good). The "New Encyclopedia" is truly a landmark volume, and is widely used by hypnotherapists as well as stage hypnotists.

BTW, on the subject of books, there are numerous histories of hypnosis, but the best and most interesting to read that I have seen is Brian Inglis, "Trance" (1989).
Hypnotist and mentalist.
Websites: www.corporatemedservices.co.uk
www.doctoromni.com
marc_us
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of marc_us
If you are interested in works by Milton H. Erickson and don't mind reading off a computer screen, you may wish to consider a cd-rom of all of his works. I don't have it but certainly look good.

http://www.erickson-foundation.org/press......rks1.htm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Useful Hypnotism Books (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL