The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Spike Escape Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic4000
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of magic4000
Hi, I am looking for ideas on getting a Spike Escape illusion. I don't want any thing too big. I want some thing that will fit in an 8' trailer with 4 other illusions. I also don't want something that takes forever to set up. What would I get? Smile
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Kline
What type of venues are you playing? Our spike escape is 13 feet tall and packs into 2 HUGE road cases - set up is about 30 min.
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Magic4000, having something that isn't too big while in the trailer, yet doesn't take forever to set up is sort of an oxymoron.
There are two ways to go with something like a Spike Escape. First, you can break it down into cases, which then takes time to set up. Second, you can leave as much assembled as possible and make cases for it in that condition.
Our Spike Escape, that my wife Kristen Johnson performs, utilizes the second method. In fact most of our illusions have cases that allow them to roll right into the truck either completely or partially assembled. This allows for faster set up and tear down. It also provides less wear and tear on the props.
Since you have a limited amount of space, you should look at having cases that can stack on top of each other. The casters of the top cases rest inside recessed caster donuts on the bottom cases. Anytime you can use vertical space in a truck or trailer, is a good thing.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

P.S. The spike escape she performs can be seen on Inside The Houdini Museum, a show in regular rotation on The Travel Channel.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
magic4000
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of magic4000
I am looking for some thing I can take around to Colleges and Cruise Ships. I was Looking at the one Magic Makers build, and am thinking of going with that. I just was wondering if there was something better out there. Smile
Kline
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of Kline
I some what agree with Kevin here, not on the trailer thing, but on the breakdown - but then again, I am shipping my equipment internationally and not always driving the truck. My feeling is that if you are going to spend thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment, then it is worth a few hundred more for a case, especially when you are not in control of it during shipment.
I believe Kevin drives his own truck. Don't you?
As far as the magic maker prop goes, I have never seen it in real life. I do know Doug Malloy made a spike illusion at one time. Mine was built by Owen Redwine.
Steven Kline
<BR><BR>www.stevenkline.com
<BR><BR>www.stevenklineproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter
@steveklinemagic
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Doug still builds his. He has a website were you can find his contact information.

http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/index.html
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Steven Kline is correct especially about the shipping. If you ship often then you want light small compact cases. We ship very rarely, for example, if we must ship our Origami, then it goes back into the small case and is shipped that way. I believe that Steven trucks as well as ships so he has to look at both situations. He usually goes overseas every year, so he knows what it takes to get his equipment there safely.

Yes Steven, we truck everything, and drive the rig ourselves, so we are lucky and know how the equipment is being handled.

Magic4000, the spike escape from magic makers is the version Kristen uses on the TV show. It's a good design and principle, but will need some work to make it last thru any amount of touring. The legs will need to cross braced for support, as well as a few other small details, which can be normal on most anything to make it really work for you. Let me know if I can answer any other questions regarding that spike escape.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Spike Escape Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL