The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which society should I join? Also a couple questions.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
So I'm leaning more towards S.A.M right now because they seem to have more going on in my local area than I.B.M but I'm still pretty unsure. If both of the societies had meetings in my area, I'd like to say that I'd join I.B.M. Which should I join and why? I'm 16 so I guess I'd have to be with the youths though I prefer to associate more with adults because more adults stay dedicated to the art and I want to learn from more mature people who have more experience. Most kids want instant gratification and aren't willing to practice and invest their time in to prestidigitation. I went to a youth competition about 2 hours away at my closest magic shop and one of the kids (who took 4th place) in the competition was using an invisible deck as his performance which was poorly performed and had nothing unique in showmanship. I admire every one of the kids for getting up on stage in front of people and trying their best but since I've been reading Tarbell's course.. There's not much of what he says in which I disagree upon. I think that you should master something and be sure of yourself before you even think about performing in front of an audience of people. I'm sorry I got a bit off topic, it was just a bit of a rant. But one thing for me is that I'm very prideful of magic and what I do. I want to get involved with the society that I join and one of the things I've been looking for is a ring with the seal/logo of the society on the ring. Can you buy S.A.M or I.B.M rings? (The jewelry type, aha) Anyhow, thanks for reading and any advice on which to join, and tips on ways of utilizing my membership would definitely be appreciated.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Join the one at which you will learn most. I am a member of two magic clubs - one has a lot of lectures, one gives opportunities to perform (and be rubbish in a safe environment) both are important. Neither are any SAM/IBM they are just local groups.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Because you're not 18 yet, you would have to join the SYM or IBM youth first. Between SAM/IBM I don't think it makes much of a difference. I would go with the SYM first since they have stuff in your area, then you can always join IBM in the future if you want.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Anyone know about the rings with the crest/logo on it? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Which society should I join? Also a couple questions.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL