The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Success (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
Think about the success you have had in your life. What do you think were the most important qualities, actions, ideas that allowed it to happen?

For me:

1) Persistence.
2) Working from my strengths and talents rather than trying to overhaul my weaknesses (see my sig).
3) Getting buy-in from the people I'm trying to affect.

Of course there are more, but I think it's more interesting to limit myself to three.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5714 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
- Passion
- Persistence
- Continous learning
- Mentors
- Ability to spot an opportunity
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Focus
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Self-Motivation
Persistence
Loyalty
Prayer

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
First and foremost, luck. Any of my major successes involve being in the right place at the right time to some extent.

After that, I guess a combination of intelligence and enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is close to persistence, but not the right word IMO.

Take, for example, my early academic success. I was really really good at math -- head and shoulders above other people (even other math majors). But it wasn't because I was truly talented. Maybe a little above average, but I definitely didn't owe my success to talent. Instead, I had a whole lot of enthusiasm, to the extent that I didn't mind (and actually, enjoyed) studying math 14 hours a day. So even making hourly progress at an ordinary pace, I would learn three or four times more per day as a student at my talent level but ordinary enthusiasm.

To someone who didn't enjoy what they were doing, I would call that an abundance of persistence. For me, I would rather have been doing that than playing video games or drinking beer. (In fact, I think I have below average persistence, in the sense that I find it tough to grind out tasks I don't really want to do.)

Now that I'm far away from the academic world, it's the same story. So far, all my investments have been good. ("Good" meaning they've unfolded in the way that I had hoped, and I've gotten the returns I hoped to get. At least so far.) This is, in part, because I research them perhaps more than average. But I didn't consider the research "work," it was just something I enjoy doing.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Luck- but you must have money on the table...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Massive drive, consistent hard work, and relentless persistence.

I would add to that "putting yourself in the right place at the right time" (as opposed to "being in the right place at the right time").
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2755 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I've always thought luck played a part in success, but I have never had it come to my house and kick open the door. Smile
Some say luck is when preparation meets opportunity. I've always believed that we sort of attract the things we
looking for, thereby creating our own luck.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quite right, Tom. Luck may play a part, but if you're not prepared to "deliver the goods" at that very moment ... you're out of luck. You have to have the confidence, bravado and skills to excel when the opportunity arises.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Serendipity.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Luck has never been a big part of my success. For me the biggest factor was:

1. Knowing how to sell and pitch: this is huge. If you can't sell, your dead.
2. Never fall in love with your first idea: I've changed my whole business on a single call when they weren't buying what I was selling. I found out what they wanted to buy, and I sold them that.
3. Never get discouraged.
4. You got to work at it every day.
5. You have to like people.
6. Networking: this is probably the biggest difference between people who succeed vs those that don't. I big network makes up for a lot of mistakes.

I personally am of the believe that successful people make their own luck.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Of course, then there's also the theory that everything is predestined, and whatever happens was meant to happen ....
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
I define success, nothing more nor less, than achieving ones objective. Great is taken on a most difficult thing and overcoming it to reach ones objective. What one needs to take on such a task in the first is inspiration. Your down to the felt but you still have a chip and chair, you are faced with a monumental task, tOdin sends the wind and turns the tide, you make a comeback and win. Germany look like beating the USA which is no big thing to the Germans but for the USA to beat the Germans would be something great but the USA needs insiration in first place. They need spirit.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On 2013-12-10 15:47, tommy wrote:
Germany look like beating the USA which is no big thing to the Germans but for the USA to beat the Germans would be something great but the USA needs insiration in first place. They need spirit.

I agree with that. Motivation, determination, a "never-give-up" attitude, and spirit.
Arthur Stead
www.arthurstead.com
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4911 Posts

Profile of landmark
I want to expand on persistence. For me persistence includes knowing when it's time to hibernate--sometimes for a week, sometimes for a month, maybe a year or more. But don't let it die. Come back to it again having had new experiences and insights to draw from.

As to luck--I wonder how many times I was lucky but didn't even know enough to know I was lucky--it just passed me by!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Walking close to God, without a divided heart. The success being my life, my wife, my 2 kids and the job I have had for over 30 years allowing me to support them.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Qualities:

1. Determination and perseverance
2. Passion and zeal for life
3. Service to others being the foremost reason I do anything in life. Having this mindset in all endeavours....

Actions:

1. Systematic planning
2. Prayer
3. Aligning my life as close as possible to Gods Will for today......love at all costs.....

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Being there. (With a nod to Jerzy Kosinski)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
For me, luck, intelligence, talent, vision, originality and uniqueness. Being true to one's self and not compromising or selling out. You're not going to get very far doing what everyone else is doing.

One needs to not only be in the right place at the right time but also recognise the opportunity when it arrives. You the need to have the skill, talent and fortitude to carry through.

And I didn't need god(s) or prayer to help me along the way. Just a few well placed friends and fans Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16029 Posts

Profile of tommy
I like Herb Zarrow and way he worked on his Zarrow Shuffle on and off for years.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Success (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL