The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's your favorite musical? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yep. That's my father, Frank Cassidy, with the black hat.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'm not a big fan of musicals in general, but I do like How to Succeed in Business . . . .

(Bob: Damn Yankees.)
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
First musical ever - Hair. Stupid story line, but some great music!

Favorite musical ever - Les Miserables. With the revolving stage, this was probably the best thing I've ever seen on stage.

Last spring we saw Singin' in the Rain in West End. Probably my new "close-second favorite".

We also saw The Lion King in West End. I don't like the story, but the first fifteen minutes is probably the greatest fifteen minutes of theater I've ever seen. The cheetah is also cool.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1455 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Show Boat and Les Miserables.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-11 10:08, S2000magician wrote:
I'm not a big fan of musicals in general, but I do like How to Succeed in Business . . . .

(Bob: Damn Yankees.)

Very good. I had to take a look at how you used the BBcode to get away with that. Pretty *** good. Or should I say, "Pretty damn good?"
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
The Sound of Music
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I was lucky growing up in pittsburgh with a grandmother and aunt who liked musicals. I saw Hello Dolly with Carol Channing who came out after the show and talked to the audience for about 30 minutes. Remember that like it was yesterday. I saw Sound of Music with Mary Martin, I couldn't have been older than 9 or 10.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Mary Martin! Yes, I saw her live in Peter Pan. How could I have overlooked that one?
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2867 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
My favorite musical is Phantom of the Opera- saw it in Toronto twice, Chicago, Las Vegas, and Portage, Michigan.

My adult son and I once went to the musical "The Drowsy Chaperone" at the Kalamazoo Civic Theatre in Kalamazoo. What a GREAT musical- I laughed out loud a bunch of times (something I rarely do)- just an absolute hoot of a play. If you ever get to a chance to see it, can't recommend it enough, it is a bizarro type plot of an over the top parody/script that we both loved.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
My daughter is a music theater major (yes I know) and performed in all the high school and junior high school musicals. Fortunately, our local high school is one of the best in the country, probably due to all the folks in show business who live in my town. They were one of only about 5 schools that were allowed to stage a version of Phantom and my daughter was also in Drowsy Chaperone. It is a great. show. Arts are highly supported in my area. I think they spend an average of $50k per production at the high school.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Special user
Beverley, UK
857 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
In no order of priority ...

Calamity Jane
King and I
Meet Me in St Louis
Carousel
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
West Side Story
Oklahoma
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Guys and Dolls
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Flower Drum Song is another favorite. I forgot all about that one. Saw the movie version.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I saw Nathan Lane on broadway in both Guys and Dolls and Funny Thing happened on the way to the forum. He was fantastic in both. I never did see The Producers, which I regret.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1801 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 04:47, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 00:25, mastermindreader wrote:
I forgot about Oklahoma! (And I'm a bit embarrassed since my Dad's band, "The Rodeo Rangers," did a great four part harmony version of the title song as part of their show set.)

Here are the Rodeo Rangers circa 1958. They were a show band who played throughout New Jersey in just about every type of venue you could think of- including on the roofs of the refreshment buildings at drive-in movies just before the movies started at dusk. I wish you could have heard their four part harmony version of "Oklahoma!" and other standards like "Goody Goody."

My dad sang and played fiddle. I'll let you guess which one he is in the picture.

Great pic of your dad and his band, Bob!

I also remember thoroughly enjoying a production of "Anything Goes" at Lincoln Center. You just can't beat Cole Porter, Rogers and Hart, Hammerstein, Irving Berlin, Gershwin, and others of that ilk.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Cats
Singing in the Rain
Godspell
The Magic Show
Merlin [yes, I'm probably one of the few who managed to catch this one]

and one I'm pretty certain nobody's seen

A Day In Hollywood / A Night In The Ukraine

They did a musical about a couple winning a trip to Hollywood where they hung out with stars and there were musical numbers about Grauman's Chinese Theater and Nelson Eddy [and one that broke my heart about a girl from a small town who gets ''this close'' to stardom] the second act, the couple get to see the ''new'' Marx Bros. film, ''A Night In The Ukraine'' which is [loosly] based on Chekov's ''The Bear.''

This musical was doing great box office and they did one of the number ''Doing The Production Code'' at Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade... then Harpo's granddaughter decided she didn't like her family being portrayed on stage and got a court order to stop the production. But I caught it three times before it closed.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
giobbi1
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of giobbi1
Phantom: Have seen it 5 times. Cincinnati, Chicago and Broadway. Great show.
Jersey Boys: Got to love the music.
Brigadoon and Finnians Rainbow: Have seen these only on TV or at the movies.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5838 Posts

Profile of motown
I saw a very Avant Garde version of Cabaret at U of M that brought a whole new meaning to that show.

City of Angels and Spring Awakening our a couple of other favorites.

For me it's not just the music, but the way the production is staged. The sets.
An interesting story is important too.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
Interesting you mention City of Angels. The Bway version had very clever set design echoing film noir camera work, and the lyrics were very clever as well. I don't remember who the lyricist was, but I remember being impressed. I don't think that show has ever been revived in NY.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I saw City of Angels on Broadway. I think it starred one of the Dukes of Hazzard who was doing a lot of broadway back then. It was a good set design.

Man, I've seen more musicals than I realized.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's your favorite musical? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.81 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL