The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's your favorite musical? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4724 Posts

Profile of landmark
I saw lots of musicals and straight plays when I was younger - -in those days you could get student rush tickets very inexpensively. I also saw a bunch of shows standing room, I think that cost a couple of dollars.

But the most fun was to Second-Act a play: if a play had been running for a while, there would usually be some empty seats, so you figured out what time the first intermission would occur, and then you'd show up and mingle with the theater goers taking their break on the street. When intermission was over, you'd casually walk back into the theater with the crowd, and grab an empty seat for the rest of the show.

Nowadays, the best way to see theater in NYC is to join TDF at tdf. org. If you are a senior citizen, union member or student you can get heavily discounted tickets for many shows. These are the same people who run the discount ticket booth in midtown, but the online discounts are better and more varied.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5839 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 00:35, landmark wrote:
Interesting you mention City of Angels. The Bway version had very clever set design echoing film noir camera work, and the lyrics were very clever as well. I don't remember who the lyricist was, but I remember being impressed. I don't think that show has ever been revived in NY.
Saw the original production on Broadway and was extremely impressed with the design of the sets and how they changed during the show.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1807 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 10:07, landmark wrote:
if a play had been running for a while, there would usually be some empty seats, so you figured out what time the first intermission would occur, and then you'd show up and mingle with the theater goers taking their break on the street. When intermission was over, you'd casually walk back into the theater with the crowd, and grab an empty seat for the rest of the show.

Landmark, I remember that trick! Took advantage of it many times. When we lived in NYC, my wife and I also loved the 1/2 price ticket line in Times Square. Got some amazing deals there for Broadway shows. And of course, the other place to get 1/2 price tickets used to be downstairs in the World Trade Center.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 14:10, tommy wrote:
Guys and Dolls

Finally. I was wondering when someone was going to get around to it. How can almost 20 men reply to the question "what is your favorite musical" before someone comes up with Guys and Dolls? Flippin pansies!! lol
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3975 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Favorites:

- Carousel
- Les Miserables
- West Side Story (always wanted to have played Riff, but way too old, now)
- *** Yankees...but only because I played Mr. Applegate in that and have an affection for it.

Lots of great ones, though...

Hates: Smile

- Cats
- anything by Steven Sondheim (I can barely make it through Sweeney Todd)
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3645 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I don't know if I have a favorite but I really like:

Popeye
Grease
Wizard of OZ
Broadstreet
Jesus Christ Superstar

I often enjoy the music in non musical movies.

-Mary Mowder
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Rocky Horror Picture Show.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 4,553+ posts, only credited with
126 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
Les Miserables
Phantom of the Opera
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
As far as musical movies, I've always enjoyed watching the Busby Berkeley films. They have a real Art Deco/Kaleidoscope feel to them.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Best Movie: cannibal the musical.. First project done in film school by the south park duo..
Actually quite brilliant.. Cheaply made, but brilliant - much better than world police in my opinion

Best Stage: phantom in Vegas.. We sat right under the chandelier and when it fell, my life flashed before my eyes!

Worst movie: poultrygiest: attack of the chicken dead.. I actually worked on this one fulfilling a life long dream of working on a Troma feature..
But what a stinker - even by Troma standards!

Worst stage: saw a scaled back artsy Fartsy version of a Christmas carol where mime artists dressed in mime outfits were the furniture and props! I love the story - but this production was nothing short of cringe-worthy.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
512 Posts

Profile of damien666
Best Movie: cannibal the musical.. First project done in film school by the south park duo..
Actually quite brilliant.. Cheaply made, but brilliant - much better than world police in my opinion

Best Stage: phantom in Vegas.. We sat right under the chandelier and when it fell, my life flashed before my eyes!

Worst movie: poultrygiest: attack of the chicken dead.. I actually worked on this one fulfilling a life long dream of working on a Troma feature..
But what a stinker - even by Troma standards!

Worst stage: saw a scaled back artsy Fartsy version of a Christmas carol where mime artists dressed in mime outfits were the furniture and props! I love the story - but this production was nothing short of cringe-worthy.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
In no specific order, I dreamed of being in each of these when I was taking theater classes. Unfortunately, I can't sing but love the music.

Sound of Music
Jersey Boys
Cats
Godspell
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
West Side Story
Oklahoma
Grease
Wizard of OZ
Les Miserables
Phantom of the Opera
Rock of Ages
Chorus Line
Hair
Dennis Michael
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Phantom of the Opera. Seeing it at the original theater in London (1st row!) was quite an experience. I am definately a phan. Have Phantom masks to prove it...a german production mask, direct copy of London original, a Broadway version (my favorite) and of course my own, custom made and fitted.

Les Miserables. Saw the movie, thought it was ok if not overall memorable. Well this year a theater here produced it and of course we wanted to see it. So I cried for first half, just for sheer emotional impact. Just saw it again and going for the 3rd time after Christmas. I cant get enough of "Stars"

Rocky Horror Show. Had heard about it a lot. First time I was in London, in 1992, bought the movie just because I wanted to see it. Fell in love. Saw it first time live on a stage 2 weeks ago!!! We had great time. And the narrator hit me square in the forehead with streamers he shot from a huge cannon shaped like a certain part of male anatomy. Yes, I am keeping those. And yes, I know I am awfully weird Smile

I used to like Sound of Music. Our local (professional mind you) theater (which I have worked for on numerous productions) premiered it this year. I was excited. It looked stunning...and that where it ends. Worst part being Mother Abbess...when she started to sing, I though she had a great voice. She really did...and then came the part where she would need to transition from chest to head voice. No transition, a pause and then she restarted. And the finale of the song...she held the final note (though purely) for 2 seconds and her voice just stopped, orchestra playing the song still. Later I heard that was not an isolated incident...but there goes the musical...
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What's your favorite musical? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL