The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sign Language Faux Pas at Madiba's Funeral (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I find this story not only to be quite odd, but highly disturbing as well.

A man who appeared to provide sign language interpretation on stage for Nelson Mandela's memorial service, attended by scores of heads of state, was a "fake," the national director of the Deaf Federation of South Africa said on Wednesday.

The unidentified man seen around the world on television next to leaders including United States President Barack Obama "was moving his hands around but there was no meaning in what he used his hands for," Bruno Druchen, the federation's national director, told The Associated Press.

News Link
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4979 Posts

Profile of landmark
I guess I'm strange, I think it's funny.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I find it funny too. I shouldn't because of the disrespect shown at all levels. It's just so Pythonesque.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I thought it was hysterical. Guaranteed this will be parodied on Saturday Night Live. I think this proves that at least the spirit of Andy Kaufmann is still alive. It's pure comedic genius.

Imagine if this all was just a bet that they guy made? Like, "I'll bet you a thousand bucks that I can get up on that dais and stand right next to those world leaders and just meaninglessly wave my hands around for three hours without anyone stopping me."

This guy may well have scored a bundle on this.

And, if I understand correctly, he was a volunteer. He offered or was asked if he could do the sign language. It seems like no one bothered to ask him if he actually knew sign language.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
This is where I draw a line. Don't like it at all, personally.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Well everyone's got to draw a line somewhere, I guess. But this isn't exactly up there with Colonel Travis drawing the line in the sand at the Alamo. "That's it! I've had it! You've crossed the line you fake hand waver you!"

Throw him in prison and lose the key!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
No, but respect for the deceased's family at a funeral is a line I draw, personally.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
OK, now don't jump all over me ... this is an attempt at a joke .... no political slur intended:

Maybe we should get that guy over here to interpret the new health care law!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Potential! Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I understand your view Chessman and agree that if it was a joke it was in questionable taste. But no one can say that guy didn't have brass ones. It's not like he was hiding behind the scenes making rude noises or something. He was standing right out there where the whole world could see him.

But I've also wondered if the guy might just be mentally disabled and really wanted to participate by doing what he saw other people doing on TV.

No matter his motive, the real blame for this lies with those who had the responsibility to thoroughly vet everyone who was anywhere near the VIP section of the stadium. And making sure that people are actually qualified to do the jobs they have volunteered for seems like a reasonable idea in view of what happened.

But I still think it was pretty funny.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2487 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
That was done on Saturday Night live many years ago when Garrett Morris translated the top news stories for the hearing impaired. He basically stood behind Jane Curtin and repeated every word she said by bellowing.

On a more serious note, there is more than one sign language in the world. American Sign Language is popular in America. Did anyone check to see if he was speaking a different sign language? Maybe he was making meaningless gestures, but think about what it would take to do that. It is probably harder than real sign interpretation. Faking it would probably entail a lot of repeated gestures. I am not condemning anyone, I just want to be sure.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
One mutt making-up fake sign language, the other one taking selfies at a wake. Two classless ******.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-11 15:53, Cliffg37 wrote:

On a more serious note, there is more than one sign language in the world. American Sign Language is popular in America. Did anyone check to see if he was speaking a different sign language? Maybe he was making meaningless gestures, but think about what it would take to do that. It is probably harder than real sign interpretation. Faking it would probably entail a lot of repeated gestures. I am not condemning anyone, I just want to be sure.

It was African deaf people who caught him out in the first place.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Here's more about that:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-25330672

Security was also incredibly lax. Despite a massive police presence, people without tickets could apparently wander in unchecked.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
I could enjoy enjoy it if it was a stupid presidential speech. You can imagine the hand jestures for "I did not have sex with that woman." But this is beyond bad. I'm in a no-tolerance mood today so I shouldn't say what I'd want to do to him, so I'll turn it down and say he should be tied to a post, his shirt removed, and be flogged - one strike for each minute he did that. And it should be televised.

That oughta do it.

Bazinga!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
He's not some mentally ill guy who just walked on the stage or slipped past security. Or someone who just happened to volunteer for this event. He's some guy, that for some reason, the ANC continues to trot out as an interpreter. This isn't the first event he's worked for the ANC. The first deaf woman elected to the Parliament of South African said she complained about the guy over a year ago.

You can see him standing up there right next to Jacob Zuma during the ANC Centenery Celebrations in 2012. The link that Devious gave even refers to it "At that appearance, a deaf person in the audience videotaped the event and gave it to the federation for the deaf, which analyzed the video, prepared a report about it and a submitted a formal complaint to the ANC, Druchen said." I'd be willing to bet he's no volunteer either. He's on someones payroll for sure.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
@Marlin,
Correct indeed. I was hoping folks would read that part as well.
You can watch the same guy in action HERE.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
He still oughta be flogged.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 16:25, Devious wrote:
@Marlin,
Correct indeed. I was hoping folks would read that part as well.

Well, that's the "disturbing" part, like you said. I mean it's all funny and everything, but if you happen to be deaf and tuned in to watch this historic event, and were counting on that guy, then it kinda sucks. Especially if it was already known that the guy doesn't know sign language
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
They could play this song during the flogging because it goes on for quite
some time and certainly inspires many conspiratorial and vengeful thoughts.

Midnight Express

p.s. Someone please notify George Noory for tonight about this.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sign Language Faux Pas at Madiba's Funeral (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL