The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sign Language Faux Pas at Madiba's Funeral (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Take a chill pill, brother Bazinga.

All Bob is saying is that "flogging" has connotations that don't fit the situation.

Did you ever see the movie, "Glory"?
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
285 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
So... this guy was just interviewed on the radio over here. His explanation? "I got too happy and suffered a schizophrenic episode." His actual words. He couldn't even show them how to sign 'I love you.'

According to DeafSA they already complained about him last year, but the ANC still used him. That's what happens when people are appointed because he is friends with someone, as opposed to qualifications and merit. An everyday thing over here, unfortunately.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Let's not talk about Mandela's controversal past, but let's laugh at someone making a mockery of the sign language for the death at Mandela's funeral. Hyprocrites!

My daughter, who is deaf thought it was disrespectful to Mandela's funeral and to deaf people.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
285 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
I can't get my head around the utter disrespect shown to deaf people by our government. And that at the funeral of the great man who fought for equal treatment of all people. But then again, we have learned not to expect much anymore.

The government's spokesperson had only this to say: "The concerns regarding the interpreter have been noted." Knowing how things work, that interpreter will simply be back at the next event.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Alexander,

If I may go off topic what was the young guy before Zuma spoke yelling about?
I thought Cyril Ramaphosa was mighty annoyed with him but then towards the end everyone round the podium had a 'oh well he did his best sort of smile".
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 03:37, Danny Kazam wrote:
Let's not talk about Mandela's controversal past, but let's laugh at someone making a mockery of the sign language for the death at Mandela's funeral. Hyprocrites!

Judgmental much? You'd rather slur Mandela than laugh at the idiocy of the interpreter?

Point out the mote but ignore the log.
alexander_may
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa
285 Posts

Profile of alexander_may
Destiny - I think you are referring to the 'praise-singer' or imbongi. In traditional Xhosa culture the King has a full-time person in his court whose job it is to recite poetry and sing the praises if the king.

This has now been adopted to the modern culture, where such a praise-singer will perform at certain official ceremonies where the president appears. While it may appear that he is screaming and shouting like crazy, he was actually praising Mandela and reciting poetry about how great he was Smile

While not everyone is a big fan of this, traditions are sacred in their culture and you simply have to endure it, like it seemed Ramaphosa did Smile
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Ah thanks for that Alexander - much more interesting now I understand - obviously they had a massive event to organise on short notice so those of us unfamiliar with the country and culture sort of had to make up our own explanations for things we didn't understand.

For a moment there I thought perhaps he'd done a Kanye and invaded the stage and no one knew what to do. Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3616 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2013-12-11 21:54, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes, but Saturday Night Live and the Today Show are two different beasts. After Miley Cyrus offended half the country, SNL immediately booked her as a host and she proceeded to do the same routine that caused the controversy in the first place.

I wonder if the deaf community was offended back in the days when Garrett Morris was doing the "closed captions" for the hearing impaired.

Now that was a seriously funny routine, but probably offensive in retro...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16047 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
Puts the FUN in funeral!

I still think he will turn out to be someone's (official's) cousin who got the job through nepotism.

Disrespectful, probably, but that's why it's funny. Good comedy is edgy. That said, I don't think he was taking the **** out of anyone, that he wasn't pulling a prank. I think he thought he was doing it for real (though there were moments he seemed confused). I wonder if it would have bothered Nelson Mandela. He seemed to have a sense of humor and didn't take himself seriously.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 08:47, gypsyfish wrote:
I wonder if it would have bothered Nelson Mandela. He seemed to have a sense of humor and didn't take himself seriously.

That's true. He'd probably get a big kick out of that idiot up there screwing with all those stupid deaf people.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:

I'm starting to seriously consider the theory that this guy may just be a hired goon given what was supposed to be basically a no-show job in order to justify his paycheck for other activities.

This has been pretty much my thought from the very start. This guy didn't sneak into the event or anything. He was brought in to do that job. I'm not buying the whole schizophrenic episode "I saw angels" thing. No warring factions of deaf federations nonsense, or that he was doing a different form of the 5 million types of sign language out there. Come on. Someone gave this guy a job as an interpreter knowing full well he wasn't qualified. As alexander_may said, it's how things are often done. Had they not pulled this at an event of such magnitude, what few complaints they got about the guy would have been ignored. Like they have been doing until now.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2767 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Bazinga, I'm with you. There is no 'excuse' for something like this.

Being disrespectful to the deaf, family, close love ones left behind, and heads of state that took part in the event
is not all that funny in my book. Sounds to me like even he thinks it was wrong since he is now trying to come up with an
medical excuse for doing it.

Still, I guess I would give him a fair opportunity to explain it, while out behind the woodshed.

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1104 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Take him out back, tie him up, flog him.

What's wrong with you people?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16047 Posts

Profile of tommy
Which one?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
In the news, the interpreter is claiming that he had a "schizophrenic episode:" http://news.yahoo.com/mandela-memorial-s......924.html

Now that is funny!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 09:50, TomBoleware wrote:
Bazinga, I'm with you. There is no 'excuse' for something like this.

How about schizophrenia? Is that an excuse?

(I'm not saying I believe that his claim is true. But if it were, would it be explanation enough?)
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2767 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes, if it turns out he is a mental health patient, that too would be no laughing matter.

Then, those who laughed may need to take his place behind the woodshed. Smile

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On 2013-12-12 09:18, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:

I'm starting to seriously consider the theory that this guy may just be a hired goon given what was supposed to be basically a no-show job in order to justify his paycheck for other activities.

This has been pretty much my thought from the very start. This guy didn't sneak into the event or anything. He was brought in to do that job. I'm not buying the whole schizophrenic episode "I saw angels" thing. No warring factions of deaf federations nonsense, or that he was doing a different form of the 5 million types of sign language out there. Come on. Someone gave this guy a job as an interpreter knowing full well he wasn't qualified. As alexander_may said, it's how things are often done. Had they not pulled this at an event of such magnitude, what few complaints they got about the guy would have been ignored. Like they have been doing until now.

Guys, as I had stated earlier, this is the more likely scenario. Here's my original quote, in case you missed it:

"I'm inclined to go along with the theory that this "big speech sign language expert" is on the payroll. Unfortunately, when the South African government changed hands in 1984, many of the ANC henchmen were given positions of authority for which they were not qualified. Despite the obvious chaotic consequences, this practice still continues today."
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sign Language Faux Pas at Madiba's Funeral (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL