We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » What is LOL? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
I understand most of the acronyms and magic shorthand on this forum but still can´t seem to figure out what "LOL" means. It is used quite often. Can someone explain this to me please?

Forgive me if this has already been asked.

Thanks.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Aperazor
View Profile
Loyal user
Akron,Ohio
244 Posts

Profile of Aperazor
Laugh Out Loud

Usually used after a funny line or to indicate sarcasm or that what you have written was in jest.

Oooops...I suppose I should have let the mgmt. answer this? LOL

Have a good New Year
Nick Zender

P.S. I'm hoping this isn't one of those times that I answered the obvious choice only to find out that there is another use for LOL in the magic world? LOL
Chris Michaels
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Chris Michaels
People have different meanings for the acronym. I believe it originally started as laughing out loud, however, it's mutated into laughing on line, and other varions things, so generally, it means they're laughing.
"penguin is the cheapest magic shop online" - some person I was talking to on AIM.
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Nick and Chris,

Many thanks and hope you have a great New Year. Smile
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26938 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Such can be found under F(requently) A(sked) Q(uestions) for online forums along with how to decode emoticons.

These acronyms developed way back when people were working on teletype terminals and had to fuss over every keystroke. They became a kind of nerd chic for a while then became a sort of dabblers' excuse for poor communication and lazy typing that they are today.

After folks got Windows and spell checkers, all such shorthand went from trendy to sophomoric. Here in a special interest forum with a focus on communication it is merely juvenile.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chout
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Chout
LOL Laugh Out Loud
LOL Laughing Out Loud
LOL Lack of Love (game)
LOL Ladies of Lallybroch
LOL Land O' Lakes
LOL Language of Literature
LOL Language of Love
LOL Last or Least
LOL Laughing On Line
LOL Lautes Online Lachen (German: Loud Online Laughter)
LOL Lawyers on Line
LOL League of Losers (wild 17 chess team)
LOL Legend of Legaia (video game)
LOL Legend of Lothian (computer game)
LOL Less Of Lip
LOL Lewd Obscene Language
LOL Life of the Land
LOL Limited Operation Life
LOL List Of Lights
LOL Little Old Lady
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
Quote:
On 2003-12-28 11:37, JonTown wrote:
Such can be found under F(requently) A(sked) Q(uestions) for online forums along with how to decode emoticons.

These acronyms developed way back when people were working on teletype terminals and had to fuss over every keystroke. They became a kind of nerd chic for a while then became a sort of dabblers' excuse for poor communication and lazy typing that they are today.

After folks got Windows and spell checkers, all such shorthand went from trendy to sophomoric. Here in a special interest forum with a focus on communication it is merely juvenile.

LOL!

I totally agree, but I had to do it anyway.
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
filem
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of filem
Bet you don't know what ROTFLMAO is!

"Rolling on the Floor Lauging My ...."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Jonathan Townsend uses the phrase "nerd chic".

I absolutely LOVE it!

Terrific!
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
To build on Jonathan's comment. The nerd chic has moved from online acronyms to the use of variant forms of 1337 (translation: "leet" a shortened form of "eleet" or "elite" wherein numerals are used to represent letters. Originally 1 was a substitute for L, 3 was a substitute for E and 7 was a substitute for T). And even 1337 has moved beyond nerd chic, to be several orders of magnitude more sophmoric and juvenile than the acronyms.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » What is LOL? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL