The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy Birthday Aunt Bea! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Today is the birthday of Frances Bavier, better known as Aunt Bea on the Andy Griffith show.
She didn't always look like we remember her, as my friend Bobby Torkova pointed out when he sent me the following link:

http://travsd.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/s......-bavier/

Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Bob...We bever agree on anything, but this is your greatest post ever! Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Thanks, Kevin. Good to see we finally found some common ground. (But I've also always enjoyed your Houdini materials.)
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Frances Bavier have have been a beautiful young lady once, but that's a picture of Gloria DeHaven. Regardless, big fan of the Andy Griffith Show. Happy Birthday Aunt Bea!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Bummer. You're right! I've been hoaxed:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/celebri......-Bea.htm
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
From IMDB: Despite her good-hearted image on screen, cast members of The Andy Griffith Show often remember her as difficult, temperamental and somewhat cold. Griffith himself said "There was just something about me she did not like."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 11:38, balducci wrote:
From IMDB: Despite her good-hearted image on screen, cast members of The Andy Griffith Show often remember her as difficult, temperamental and somewhat cold. Griffith himself said "There was just something about me she did not like."

Maybe she found out about the pickles.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

On her Wikipedia page, though, Andy Griffith is quoted as saying the Bavier called him many times in the months prior to her death apologizing repeatedly for having been so difficult to work with.

Interesting that in the pilot of "The Andy Griffith Show," which was actually an episode of Danny Thomas's "Make Room for Daddy," Bavier didn't play Aunt Bea but was a distraught townswoman upset because her late husband was buried in a rented suit which she continued to pay rent on because she didn't want anyone to know that he was too cheap to own his own.

It was actually a pretty funny bit. Almost like a vaudeville routine. You can see it here at 3:09 of this video of the pilot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ03gX2VD......SSlFeibF
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks anyhow. All them Pin Up girls were beautiful.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1807 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Gloria, Baby! Why wasn't I born 25 years earlier?

On a more serious note, as a young adult I read and studied, and basically devoured an amazing book on film scoring written by Earle Hagen. He composed the theme song for the Andy Griffith Show (and whistled it on the track).

"Scoring For Films - A Complete Text" was a fantastic book examining innovative musical techniques used by Mr. Hagen in some of his other scores, including background music from the "I Spy" series. An acetate disc was included with recorded examples which you could play on a record player. Among others, he also composed the theme song for The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Being a BIG Dick Van Dyke Show fan I also heard there were actual words to the theme song...written by Morey Amsterdam I believe.

Mark
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 11:47, mastermindreader wrote:

It was actually a pretty funny bit. Almost like a vaudeville routine. You can see it here at 3:09 of this video of the pilot:

In part 3: Andy admits that he has "different standards of punishment for big people rather than for little people" and so he fined a rich guy $100 instead of the designated fine of $5 or $10. What does that make Andy? A commie, an occupy Wall streeter, or ?

:)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Yes. Morey Amsterdam wrote the lyrics to the Van Dyke theme. Here they are:

So you think that you've got troubles?
Well, trouble's a bubble
So tell old Mr. Trouble to get lost!

Why not hold your head up high and
Stop cryin', start tryin'
And don't forget to keep your fingers crossed.

When you find the joy of livin'
Is lovin' and givin'
You'll be there when the winning dice are tossed.

A smile is just a frown that's turned upside down
So smile, and that frown will defrost.

And don't forget to keep your fingers crossed
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 11:42, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 11:38, balducci wrote:

Maybe she found out about the pickles.

Funniest post of the week. Thanks for the laugh.

Bazinga!
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
LOL. They got us both Bob! We can dream can't we? Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 11:47, mastermindreader wrote:
On her Wikipedia page, though, Andy Griffith is quoted as saying the Bavier called him many times in the months prior to her death apologizing repeatedly for having been so difficult to work with.

Interesting that in the pilot of "The Andy Griffith Show," which was actually an episode of Danny Thomas's "Make Room for Daddy," Bavier didn't play Aunt Bea but was a distraught townswoman upset because her late husband was buried in a rented suit which she continued to pay rent on because she didn't want anyone to know that he was too cheap to own his own.

I haven't looked it up, but I recall the actual first episode (first season, not pilot as you mention) of The Andy Griffith Show was about Aunt Bea coming to live with Andy and Opie.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1807 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Listen to Andy Griffith singing his TV show theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVUit1-0Ck

Music by Earle Hagen & Herbert W. Spencer. Words by Everett Sloane.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
[quote]On 2013-12-14 19:07, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
I haven't looked it up, but I recall the actual first episode (first season, not pilot as you mention) of The Andy Griffith Show was about Aunt Bea coming to live with Andy and Opie.

You are correct Michael. It was also the only episode where Barney mentions being Andy's cousin.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1188 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Bob

Thanks for the lyrics, I remember hearing Dick singing them on some retospective show. One of the best sitcoms of all time!!! IMHO.

Mark
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-12-14 19:33, Daryl -the other brother wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 19:07, Michael Baker wrote:

You are correct Michael. It was also the only episode where Barney mentions being Andy's cousin.

And you might remember that in the first season both Barney AND Andy were portrayed as bumpkins. Andy didn't become the straight man until the second season. (Andy basically played the same character he portrayed in the hit comedy film "No Time for Sergeants," which brought him to fame a few years earlier after his beginnings as a stand-up comic.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Happy Birthday Aunt Bea! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL