The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Training sound guy to run the show (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jamesbond
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of jamesbond
I was wondering if there r any tricks to teach your new sound guy how to remember the sound cues. Rehearsal of course I know but what I meant by this question is that musicians have notes to record the music is there something that you found similarly helpful in training your sound man to remember the cues faster? Low or high tech... Pls let me know. Thanks!!!

Bond
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
I'm one of the lucky ones. My wife, in addition to being a major part of the show onstage, also runs the sound. In the few cases where she's on stage and we can't routine it any other way, our daughter (also part of the show) hits the cue. We've had 13 years to iron this out and make it all work. BUT- in our full size theater show we use a sound person. In that case, yikes- and good luck. I print out an easy-to-understand cue sheet which lays out the running of the entire show. Before the show we talk through the whole thing from start to finish. Still, there are always a few tweaks that could be made for the next show. So, your best bet is to use the same person, and do the show often. There's no substitute for practice. My experience has been that if you arrive at a venue and you have to use their sound guy who has never done your show before, be prepared to possibly have a wreck for sound! Good luck!

Phil
griffindance
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of griffindance
There are different ways to do this. If your sound guy is also a musician it helps.

My suggestion is to look at videos of your previous performances, workout how long you want the pause between cue and beginning of music in seconds/beats per minute. Use a stopwatch/metronome! Not your vague feeling of how many seconds but an analysed recorded time frame. This can change for future performances but change is easier made when it is an adjustment rather than an order to "stretch Xcue a 'little' longer!"

No matter what cue system you are using be very clear. Text, visual cues or seconds after the beginning of the scene, write it down before you try explaining it to an employee. If you arent 100% clear on what you want how can you expect someone else to give you clarity in return.

Also beware of fade in cues. If you want the music to start before the audience should be aware of your toneband playing that may require different timing depending on the venue/audience count, placing of the sound system etc.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Fire the soundguy and get yourself system you can operate yourself. There are many on the market these days
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree there are options available but none better than a trained and tuned in soundman
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Helping hands » » Training sound guy to run the show (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL