The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rabbit on the Moon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25384057

How come its not found the American flag?

It might have done, I have not read it really yet, I was just wondering if it has.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 22:50, tommy wrote:

It might have done, I have not read it really yet, I was just wondering if it has.

The moon might be small in comparison the the Earth, but it's still a pretty big place. Unless the Chinese rover was put on the grouned in the same general vicinity as the flag, it's unlikely that it will find it.It would be like trying to find a small flag somewhere in the Grand Canyon.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-14 22:50, tommy wrote:

The moon is roughly 1/4 the size of earth. As Bob noted, that's big.

The following Wikipedia map shows all soft landings before Jade Rabbit.

The American flag is in Mare Tranquillitatis; Jade Rabbit is currently hopping around the northwest corner of Mare Imbrium. As a rough estimate, I would say they are at least 4000 km apart. I'll check to see if I can get a better figure.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Darn it...the title had me hopeful for finally finding out where all those rabbits pop into those top hats!
Sent from my Typewriter
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
China's Jade Rabbit Moon rover sends back first photos

A Chinese flag is clearly visible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25393826
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Hope we get a human space station on the moon in the next two decades.

That would be cool... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think China said before they started this mission that their probe wasn't going to go to any of the American landing sites out of respect for what the sites represent.

(This of course gave a field day to the "Apollo Moon Hoax" people who now claim China is "in on it" and won't go to the sites because they aren't there!)

If they DID want to, they are closer to Apollo 15's site and could go look over there. (I think each site has a flag, in fact, Apollo 11's flag wouldn't be visable right away since it fell over when the LM took off.)

A manned station on the moon would be cool. But since we've done "cool" for its own sake when we landed there, any further manned presence on the moon would have to have some direct benefit if we want the government to throw money at it.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I meant it'd be cool for me.

Of course there has to be a practical reason for it. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Rabbit on the Moon (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL