The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with designing a trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

goran1101
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of goran1101
I am beginner magician and I'm trying to design a trick. I have a great story to go with a trick. The trick itself is a modification of Jack in the hole. I figured out how to do it but I don't like some parts. The "quint-lift" isn't really convincing. So if you have ideas how this could be done differently, that would be great. Any tips are welcome. One thing I noticed already is that at the end, I would flip the deck before finding the card. The performance in the video was without any practice, just to show you how the trick is done.

Story is a little hard for me to explain because I'm from Serbia, and some things are untranslatable.

In Serbia, Jacks are often called cops and in mathemathics (I'm engineering student, and I thought to perform this trick in school) there is a theorem about two cops. If you have two sequences with the same limit and one sequence between those two, it has to have the same limit. So I'm using the cops two find a card and then because the limit have to be the same, I reveal that the cops have turned to the same card.

Sorry for bad english. Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_JD...ature=youtu.be
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
672 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Your video no loger exists on youtube and you already posted this in another forum and received a response.
goran1101
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of goran1101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8_JDuMMNks

I copied the bad link. And I posted this here also, because I don't know how many people visit which forum, (I'm new in all of this) and I would like some feedback and help if possible. Sorry if I caused some inconvenience.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
672 Posts

Profile of Bulla
I believe your first post got deleted because you were exposing an effect. I would suggest practicing more so you get more fluid in the moves and its not so stiff. Its not advisable to learn tricks from youtube. Its a bad practice and will only hurt you in the long run. You won't learn the core fundamentals of magic that help you create new effects. Its difficult to offer any suggestions to you because seeing your performance, you won't be able to do any of the things that I suggest. Don't take that personally, you just need more practice first.
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Why you no shuffle le deck?
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I would strongly suggest that you show your performance and NOT expose how the trick is done.
Ihor
MentalMidget
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of MentalMidget
Also, if you would actually like some thoughts on designing an effect, it would be helpful to know what books you have/ what you've read.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
What is your motivation for exposing an effect? Also, why do you show the effect without practicing to the point of being fluid in your execution?
Just wondering.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Michael Graves
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
149 Posts

Profile of Michael Graves
I would recommend Card College.

Rule of thumb is to never expose on you tube. I have some tricks I show on you-tube but they are set to private and I give them to my students.

I commend you for wanting to add to the magic community by designing a trick, but you first need to get the keys before you drive the car.

Thee are a lot of good people here but as well we do not liek it when someone uses magic lingo in a video and it shows how it is done..some words laypeople do not even know.

Good luck and again check out card college Smile
goran1101
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of goran1101
Video is unlisted on youtube, so only people with the link can see it. And I thought that exposing how it's done would give people easier job to tell me what I'm doing bad and what to practice. I filmed it unpractised because I planned to expose it and as soon as I figured out a way how to do what I want, I've filmed it.

I know that I'm not at very high level now, but I've had an idea for connecting stuff I'm learning in school with magic, so I've tried to make it happen.

Thanks for the advices. I will keep practising.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Cool. I thought you were just exposing.

I think you would get better feedback by not exposing anything but just do the effect and let other's critique you. Just my opinion.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
goran1101
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of goran1101
I think that, that way, I would get better feedback about how trick looks now, but I want to find some way to improve it, because I don't like my solutions for getting the card to second to bottom place. It doesn't look convincing to me. And I know that in hands of more skilled magician, the same move would look better. So I will practice that, an I will try to maybe find more elegant solution.

I'm aware that I probably took more than I can handle right now. Smile
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
672 Posts

Profile of Bulla
@goran1101

What have you studied so far (books,dvds, etc.)?
goran1101
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of goran1101
I'm ashamed to say that I have been studying magic only from youtube clips. Materials about magic aren't really available in Serbia. And to order something from another country is really expensive. The Shipping can be more expensive than a book, and I don't really have a lot of money now since I'm just a student.
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
672 Posts

Profile of Bulla
That's unfortunate. Youtube is great in the fact that it reaches across the world but most of the tutorials are from inexperienced people who teach you all the wrong things. Many books and dvds are now available as downloadable products so I suggest maybe looking at some of those. They're not too expensive and there's no shipping costs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help with designing a trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL