The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tom Laughlin RIP (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Perhaps not an actor of Peter O'Tooles caliber, but I always enjoyed the "Billy Jack" pictures. He was also a bit of a pioneer in the way he made and distrubuted his movies. RIP Tom Laughlin aka Billy Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v325wdgoFH4
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Wow... RIP.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
This week is starting out bad, think I will stay in...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
590 Posts

Profile of karnak
R.I.P., Billy Jack....
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
One of the most wonderful scenes burned into my childhood memory.

RIP, Tom.

(I started a Billy Jack thread a few years back. I learned that not everyone was so thrilled by those films. No matter. The man is dead now. He deserves a bit of recognition for the memories he gave to some of us.)
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
They were not great films by any stretch. Nor was Tom Laughlin a great actor. Personally, I enjoyed them but, admittedly, mostly for the fight scenes. Billy Jack was like a left-wing/hippie Chuck Norris. I always thought it was kinda of funny, or odd, how the violence of the films seemed to undercut the whole entire message. Lol!

Just a Few Billy Jack Facts:

- As a Special Forces Vietnam Veteran, Billy represents possibly the first appearance of the vengeful 'Nam vet archetype that would flood 1980's cinema. Unlike those later vets who were all white and often fought against criminal minorities street gangs etc., Billy, a half-Navajo, kicks ass on behalf of hippies and Native Americans.

- A few years before the United States was introduced to Bruce Lee, there was Billy Jack. Choreographed by Bong Soo Han, who also body doubled for Tom Loughlin in some of the fight scenes, these films represent one of the earliest popular appearances of martial arts, in this case Hapkido, in popular American Cinema. Of course, Hapkido was also the style that Bruce Lee originally learned...

-Director Tom Loughlin, who also wrote and produced all four Billy Jack films also stars as Billy Jack. Loughlin has run for president three times, most recently in 2008.

-While the 60's were rife with biker films, The Born Losers predates Easy Rider, the film that 'blew-up' the counterculture movie heroes and outsider filmmaking.

-At the time that Billy Jack was first released in 1971 (somewhat unsuccessfully) the American Indian Movement was in full swing. Its re-release in May of '73 came just a month after the Incident at Wounded Knee, an event which in some ways paralleled Billy Jacks political themes and climax, perhaps helping make the film's "second coming" a tremendous success that led to two more films.

http://kungfugrindhouse.blogspot.com/201......ack.html

And who could forget this song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxQUH7EVqH4
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 13:02, stoneunhinged wrote:
One of the most wonderful scenes burned into my childhood memory.

RIP, Tom.

(I started a Billy Jack thread a few years back. I learned that not everyone was so thrilled by those films. No matter. The man is dead now. He deserves a bit of recognition for the memories he gave to some of us.)

For your viewing pleasure, here is Jeff's thread

And if you haven't had enough, here's Chessman's thread on The Trial of Billy Jack

After reviewing, I'm surprised Jeff and Doug Higley are still talking.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Ha! Pretty much agree with Stoney and Chessman, although I know where Doug is coming from.

"The whole Freedom School thing is FUNNY. Heck, even if you truly believe in non-tradition forms of education, the Freedom School is FUNNY. Heck, even the name "Freedom School" is just dammed funny.

Generally, people who take themselves extremely seriously are funny. Laughlin and wife are kooks who managed to hit a nerve with a single movie, and they have been milking it ever since. Kudos to them. I'd do the same thing. The difference, of course, is that I'd be laughing about what I "believed" in thirty-five years ago, but they're still keeping the faith."

The Freedom School thing was always funny to me too. I think Howard Hessman was one of the teachers at the Freedom School in what had to be one of his very first film roles.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 08:48, Marlin1894 wrote:
Perhaps not an actor of Peter O'Tooles caliber, but I always enjoyed the "Billy Jack" pictures. He was also a bit of a pioneer in the way he made and distrubuted his movies. RIP Tom Laughlin aka Billy Jack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v325wdgoFH4

Don't think I ever saw any of those movies. But that is one heck of a scene!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 15:07, arthur stead wrote:

Don't think I ever saw any of those movies. But that is one heck of a scene!

That's the iconic scene, and honestly, probably the best scene in the whole entire series. The fight scene that follows is also pretty crazy especially considering it pre-dated the whole "kung fu" film craze. Like Stone said, I saw the film when I was was really young, and that scene just stuck with me as being one of the coolest moments I had ever seen. And still does.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Here's the "Ice Cream Shop" scene, that preceeds Bert Freed getting the side of his face whopped Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls187Ng23LA
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 18:04, Chessmann wrote:
Here's the "Ice Cream Shop" scene, that preceeds Bert Freed getting the side of his face whopped Smile

Nice. That's like the "other" great scene, especially the last couple of minutes. I just go BERSERK!

One of the youtube comments I saw today said something like; Billy Jack is like Bruce Banner except instead of turning into the Incredible Hulk when he gets mad, he turns into Chuck Norris. LOL!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16031 Posts

Profile of tommy
RIP Thanks for memories
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 14:40, Marlin1894 wrote:
They were not great films by any stretch. Nor was Tom Laughlin a great actor. Personally, I enjoyed them but, admittedly, mostly for the fight scenes. Billy Jack was like a left-wing/hippie Chuck Norris. I always thought it was kinda of funny, or odd, how the violence of the films seemed to undercut the whole entire message. Lol!

Just a Few Billy Jack Facts:

- As a Special Forces Vietnam Veteran, Billy represents possibly the first appearance of the vengeful 'Nam vet archetype that would flood 1980's cinema. Unlike those later vets who were all white and often fought against criminal minorities street gangs etc., Billy, a half-Navajo, kicks ass on behalf of hippies and Native Americans.

- A few years before the United States was introduced to Bruce Lee, there was Billy Jack. Choreographed by Bong Soo Han, who also body doubled for Tom Loughlin in some of the fight scenes, these films represent one of the earliest popular appearances of martial arts, in this case Hapkido, in popular American Cinema. Of course, Hapkido was also the style that Bruce Lee originally learned...

-Director Tom Loughlin, who also wrote and produced all four Billy Jack films also stars as Billy Jack. Loughlin has run for president three times, most recently in 2008.

-While the 60's were rife with biker films, The Born Losers predates Easy Rider, the film that 'blew-up' the counterculture movie heroes and outsider filmmaking.

-At the time that Billy Jack was first released in 1971 (somewhat unsuccessfully) the American Indian Movement was in full swing. Its re-release in May of '73 came just a month after the Incident at Wounded Knee, an event which in some ways paralleled Billy Jacks political themes and climax, perhaps helping make the film's "second coming" a tremendous success that led to two more films.

http://kungfugrindhouse.blogspot.com/201......ack.html

And who could forget this song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxQUH7EVqH4

Actually never saw any of the films. As far as the song is concerned, this is the version that's stuck in my mind;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg84L84uop8

I don't know why Cher starts this with "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" But the actual song starts at about 37 seconds into the clip.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
In my Leonard Maltin movie review book, the review for "Trial of Billy Jack" says it is the continuing adventures of "Mr. Peace-thru-violence". I thought it was very funny, lighthearted caricature of Billy Jack - not a drawn caricature, but one done in words.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3381 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 18:04, Chessmann wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls187Ng23LA

Billy Jack: "See, son, violence is a lot more fun than non-violence, isn't it? Getting tired of sucking it up?"

:)
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
When I first saw Billy Jack, the street fight was very liberating to me. I saw every kid that ever picked on me in Posner, and I felt much better.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
RIP Tom. Thanks for the memories. Sorry you never made President.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Tom Laughlin RIP (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL