The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Before the show starts (private houses) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Usually I preform without an assistant (because of budget and the fact that I don´t really need one during the show).
however, this means that on many occasions before the show, the guest can see me (preparing and checking that everything arranged as I asked),

I notice that I am too serious before the starting of the show and I try not to communicate with anybody except the host. (if someone has a birthday I am not asking who it is and do not greet him before the show).

I try to be professional but it came to me that I might appear as cold, or even worst nervous guy, an image I certainly don´t want,
so I was wondering, how do you handle this sorts of situations?

do you act the same or have a different approach?

thanks
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
My blunt and honest opinion...do your show another 100 times or until everything, including load in, is second nature. You should be able to converse with others, able to be aware of what is going on around you, etc, while you are setting up.

Many times during our load in/out people say 'looks like you've done this a time or two'.
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Thank you Kevin!

just to clarify,
It is not that I am not able to converse with them it is just that until know I always preferred not to mix myself with the guests before the show. I tried to be seen as less as possible, but I started to wonder if I really choose the best strategy.
ChrisC
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ChrisC
I converse as much as possible. IMHO If they like you, and have a connection with you before the show they will enjoy it more.

-Chris
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2273 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
IMHO pre-show is a very important time. First impressions go a long way. By all means greet the birthday person, have warm smile and greet everyone you come in contact with. I always make a point to compliment my client on their home or décor or anything I can think of. Then, certainly, be serious about setting up your show. There’s nothing wrong with being serious about providing your clients with the best show possible!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Before the show starts (private houses) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL