The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Message from the past in the high arctic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
From CBC

In the High Arctic, it’s not unusual to find a cairn of rocks built by human hands, even somewhere as remote as Ward Hunt Island, which sits off the northern coast of Canada’s most northerly Arctic Island, Ellesmere. The nearest community is tiny Grise Fiord, Nunavut (pop. 150) 800 km to the south, and many who travel to these distant realms feel an urge to leave something behind.

But the message found in a bottle there this summer sent shivers through the spines of a team of scientists.

“It was really quite extraordinary to be holding that piece of paper in my hands,” says Dr. Warwick Vincent, who led a team of scientists to Laval University’s remote research station established on the island in 2010. “It was like a message from the past.”

The note was signed by Paul T. Walker, an American geologist who’d been on the site in July 10, 1959. It left detailed instructions asking whoever found it to measure the distance between another cairn and the glacier.

“It was really quite extraordinary to be holding that piece of paper in my hands,” says Dr. Warwick Vincent, who led a team of scientists to Laval University’s remote research station established on the island in 2010. “It was like a message from the past.”

The note was signed by Paul T. Walker, an American geologist who’d been on the site in July 10, 1959. It left detailed instructions asking whoever found it to measure the distance between another cairn and the glacier.

In 1959, the distance between the cairn and the glacier was 1.2 metres. This summer it was 101.5 metres.

Ian Howat is an associate professor at Ohio State University, where Walker was working at the time. He says it took foresight to leave the note to measure how far the glacier had moved.

“You weren't going to get any proposals funded to study deglaciation in the 1950s, so if anything, most scientists would think their cairn and their message in a bottle would be overridden by the advance of the glacier, not a marker for retreat.”

Walker never heard from anyone.

Exactly one month after he wrote the note, he had to be flown out after he became paralyzed by a brain seizure.

He died a few months later in hospital. He was 27.

After reading and photographing the message, Vincent and his team put it back and added their own, that they hope will also receive a response sometime in the future.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Incredible. Very cool!
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I'm so moved by reading this. A million thanks for sharing this Magnus!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I'm glad you felt something too.

Sorry for the awkward cut-and-paste job.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cool. Thanks.

It is common in the UK for people to bury a box of odd things when they are on holiday. Many years later they dig them up. Upon seeing them it causes memories to flood back, as they have meaning to the people, as opposed to the stranger. Not the same thing but it just reminded me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
My wife and I cruised the Svalbard region of the Arctic in July, 2012 and came across numerous cairns. We've cruised both the Antarctic and the Arctic, and in both places there are strict laws against disturbing anything while on a land expdtition and it's monitored very closely. We even had to sanitize our boots going ashore to ensure that we didn't bring any foreign organisms to the land.

Cool post!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Message from the past in the high arctic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL