The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pay attention at the gas station... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I just became aware of this. They seem to prey on women, but I'd think men could be just as vulnerable with any valuables in the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjkghjJ55BU

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/sliders.asp
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1812 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Wow! Thanks for the warning, Bob1Dog.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3647 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I always thought I was paranoid for locking my car when pumping gas.

I guess just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you.

-Mary Mowder
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Happened to my girlfriend.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
I guess people just don't expect thieves to be so bold as to do such things. It remind me of Erdnase: Finding the moment etcetera. It is not so much about paying attention but what you are paying attention to.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I saw this report about "sliders" on the news. I drive a big weird-looking van with very few windows. I might get a recording of a bigass dog barking, and just play it when I'm in similar positions. It might not stop them all, but I sure bet it would narrow the pack.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
The victims must be on pot or something and in a world of their own, so they will be happy anyway. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'm not too sure I'd be so quick and judgemental as to blame all the victims for the ethical decisions of thieves.

Nor to blame natural trust to cannibis use.

At any rate, Bob, thanks for the heads-up. I would be an easy victim as I would never suspect such a bold hit-and-run ploy at a gas station.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
I'm sure no one was being so judgemental as to blame all the victims for the ethical decisions of thieves but simply pointing out that being would not matter if you were happy in on drugs and such can take you away from your goods and how goods can taken from you. Which is nothing to do with ethical decisions of thieves or pot heads. It simply pointing how the sharps can take from the flats are away. When the cat is away the mice will play.

Tommy
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
Why do you have to pump your own gas? It's against the law here. Smile
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Self service saves the owners money I guess. Very few things were self service back before the 60s or so. It's hard to think of two things at the same time and many thefts happen when peoples minds are on serving themselves, in supermarkets etcetera. Women have hand bags and leave them in their trolleys and so on.

Tommy
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 15:46, Kevin Connolly wrote:

Only in Joisey! Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 14:33, Michael Baker wrote:
I saw this report about "sliders" on the news. I drive a big weird-looking van with very few windows. I might get a recording of a bigass dog barking, and just play it when I'm in similar positions. It might not stop them all, but I sure bet it would narrow the pack.

I love the barking dog idea Michael!

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4734 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 14:46, tommy wrote:
The victims must be on pot or something and in a world of their own, so they will be happy anyway. Smile

More likely drunk, trying to pay off their gambling debts. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Looks like Moscow have run out of happy pills

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25407284

:)

Tommy
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2322 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 17:52, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:

Only in Joisey! Smile

And Oregon.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

I lived in NW New Jersey (Allamuchy) for 18 months in 1993/1994. The first time I stopped to get gas, I pulled up to the pump, hopped out of the car, opened up the cap, and started to grab for the nozzle. You'd have thought that the attendant had been shot out of a cannon: he ran up yelling that I wasn't allowed to do that and had to stop RIGHT NOW!

New Jersey's an . . . um . . . interesting place.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2514 Posts

Profile of critter
Funny that came up, since I just got back from Portland. It felt so old-timey having my gas pumped for me, though they didn't check my oil or offer to wash my windshield.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2322 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 21:51, critter wrote:
Funny that came up, since I just got back from Portland. It felt so old-timey having my gas pumped for me, though they didn't check my oil or offer to wash my windshield.

At chevrons in portland they offer to wash your windows now. I feel like Marty Mcfly in 1955.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
It just annoys me.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Pay attention at the gas station... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL