The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Amateur photographer shoots largest ever photo of the night sky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim

What you see above is the largest true-color photograph of the night sky ever created, shot by 28-year-old amateur astrophotographer Nick Risinger using six astronomical cameras. It’s not just the view of the sky from one location, but is instead a 360-panoramic view of the sky taken by trekking 60,000 miles across the western United States and South Africa starting in March 2010. The final image is composed of 37,000 separate photographs. Check out the massive zoomable high-definition version of the photo here.

Absolutely freaking amazing!
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Just WOW! I love it when amateurs pull off something like this- guess 'cause I am an amateur at so many things...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It's pretty cool, but I'm wondering why the images don't rotate around Polaris? Maybe I'm limiting my thinking as Earthlings are often known to do. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think he would have had to stay in the Northern Hemisphere and circle the North Pole [not closely, but you see what I'm saying] in order for Polaris to be centered in the photograph.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
No matter where he is, using long exposures causes stars to go in streaks. Tested a 3 minute exposure and got streaks. He is probably using very sensitive ISO and he uses the so called 600 rule, which gives you the max time you can have your shutter open before streaking occurs. I am by no means an expert but I believe those methods are used.
Sent from my Typewriter
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-16 15:36, mvmagic wrote:
No matter where he is, using long exposures causes stars to go in streaks. Tested a 3 minute exposure and got streaks. He is probably using very sensitive ISO and he uses the so called 600 rule, which gives you the max time you can have your shutter open before streaking occurs. I am by no means an expert but I believe those methods are used.

He would be using an equatorially mounted camera. It would have a motor that rotates at the speed of the earth's rotation, and the camera would be tilted to the angle of latitude.

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Oh yes that too is an option. Of that I know even less, just know rigs like that exist. Whatever he has used, it is a stunning picture!
Sent from my Typewriter
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Mighty mighty amazin'!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2860 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
... and then you realize that so many of those little white dots are galaxies...
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Amateur photographer shoots largest ever photo of the night sky (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL