The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 80's new wave stars today (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Imagine strains of Auld Lang Syne playing eerily in the background.

http://djrioblog.com/2013/11/26/new-wave......gone-by/
~michael baker
The Magic Company
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1807 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Great link, Michael! Thanks for sharing.

I'm proud to say that, in my heyday, I performed and recorded with; shared the same bill with; met and hung out with; or partied with at least 17 of those acts.

"Should old acquaintance be forgot ..." etc. etc.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
724 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Pretty darn cool to see what they look like today. Some look better, some a little worse for wear.
Thanks for sharing Michael.
Bob.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Those who engage in such puffery show their ignorance so often! This is no different an occasion. Lets gaze at the aged rockstars while the author shares his ignorance with us. First off, while most of those shown are of little or no consequence on the music scene anymore, one of those bands is still a mega grossing current hit band. Second, let me show you how ignorant I am by showing the same band twice. Can YOU spot them?

What rubbish!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Bowie, Ferry, Idol and The Police were the only I recognised, going through them quick like. The only ones I could name anyway. I mean, some faces rang a bell but I couldn't name them.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 00:01, Tom Cutts wrote:
Those who engage in such puffery show their ignorance so often! This is no different an occasion. Lets gaze at the aged rockstars while the author shares his ignorance with us. First off, while most of those shown are of little or no consequence on the music scene anymore, one of those bands is still a mega grossing current hit band. Second, let me show you how ignorant I am by showing the same band twice. Can YOU spot them?

What rubbish!

I guess I missed something, somewhere, as I thought it was just a nice collection of current photos for fans. I did not think the author was trying to insult any of the bands, or mocking how they look or anything.

Several of the bands listed are still current. I wonder which one you single out as being a mega grossing hit band? I believe many of them are still performing. A friend of mine recently saw Pet Shop Boys perform at a sold out show in Montreal, and he said it was a great concert. I know that Madness is still performing (I'm on their fan email list) ... last year they performed in what I think was a world wide simulcast (celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee). According to the papers, The Specials have a fair shot at having a #1 hit in Britain this Christmas. AFAIK, U2 is still performing (though I do not really follow them, so I may be mistaken). Which group were you thinking of?

Curious which band was listed twice. I did not spot it. I think several of the bands listed shared members, as one band quit and another reformed. Or did they list the same band, after it changed its name to something else?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 00:36, tommy wrote:
Bowie, Ferry, Idol and The Police were the only I recognised, going through them quick like. The only ones I could name anyway. I mean, some faces rang a bell but I couldn't name them.

I recognized, geez, probably over 80% of the bands. I feel old. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 02:00, balducci wrote:

I recognized, geez, probably over 80% of the bands. I feel old. Smile

I recognized maybe 75% at best. Funny thing to me was that most 80's bands became popular after I had kind of already settled in on the music of "my generation", if it's fair to say that the music one listens to in their teens is probably the most formative for most people.

Considering then that many band members are typically in their twenties when their band makes its name in the industry, the bands one typically follows has members that are approximately 10-15 years older then they themselves are. So, when I see these "new wave" rockers, many of whom I am very familiar with, I soon realize that most of these musicians are my age or a little younger.

Anyway, it is easy to see myself in them. Although some are currently still "of consequence on the music scene", many of these bands were hotter then, than they are now. I don't hear it so often anymore that I'm hot, either. That makes ME feel old.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Gosh Michael, I'll be playing music all night. Lots of old favorites there.

The biggest surprise for me was Kate Bush who I don't think I've seen a picture of since Wuthering Heights - I doubt the shopw is popular in the US but English readers will understand - she looks a little like the Vicar of Dibley.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5703 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 01:58, balducci wrote:
I guess I missed something, somewhere, as I thought it was just a nice collection of current photos for fans. I did not think the author was trying to insult any of the bands, or mocking how they look or anything.
I guess my reaction is more to the all too common collections like these labeled "Where are they now?"

Some photos required songs in their description because the band name was seemingly so obscure. Which by the way, had no rhyme or reason to me, a well versed 80s music fan.

But when one ignores completely any detail about the people in the photos, one runs the risk of creating a gawk at this file created by someone who likely knew nothing about the people in the shots other than naming their band or one hit. When one includes Split Enz and Crowded House as though they were two different bands, one shows the level of interest and knowledge about the subject they have.

All those things point to this being little more than a call to come see the aged musicians, while ignoring the contributions some in that collection continue to make to the music which is very current.

And you can add to the list of bands who can still bring it, STYX. Saw them a few years ago and they still rock the house. Was so happy to see them because they were slightly before my concert going days.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
The only person I liked from that list was Laurie Anderson and I did meet her once. I never liked the pop music of the 80's.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1807 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
OK, at the risk of being accused of blatant self-adoration, here's a video of me playing keyboards with John Waite (another 1980's one hit wonder, who is also still performing).

The video was filmed for the TV show Solid Gold, in front of a live studio audience. Right at the beginning, to the right as the camera pans away, you can just barely see the outline of our host, Dionne Warwick, after she introduced us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfzKij_r20Y
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
It took 3 minutes for the powder to kick in.
Before that, he needed a rocket shoving up his jacksy.
Nice manicured hands at the start though Arthur. Smile
Split enz and Crowded house the same band Tom ?
That's like saying Rainbow, Dio, and Black Sabbath, were the
same band.
One person/front man, or in this instance a pair of brothers, doesn't make it the same band.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2505 Posts

Profile of critter
Cool stuff, Arthur Stead.

On the list, I thought it was cool that Bowie's been recording since the 1960s and he still looks amazing.
Bauhaus is my favorite on the list.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers

"This I offer in explanation of how it was that I found myself in my undergarments as I sat in my cell attempting to plot my escape."
~Professor Phineas Valeyard, Miskatonic University Dept.of Psychodynamic Natural History.

New Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/Valeyard-Magic-Stage-233226717588438/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Loved looking through the pics. I didn't recognize a lot of them but since I loved MTV when it first hit the airwaves and my wife and I and the kids would watch it pretty much on a daily basis I did recognize a lot that performed there. I missed seeing Pat Benatar on the list who is pretty much amazing looking.

Some aging gracefully, some fantastically, and some ... not so much.

Did anyone watch Bands Reunited on VH1 back in 2004? The premise was to find band members from bands that had separated and try and get them together for a one time performance. They were successful in pulling together several bands that had separated on less than pleasant terms. Was great fun. Here they list all the bands that appeared on the show.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bands_Reunited
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15746 Posts

Profile of tommy
Rockwall! Cool, welcome back.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Thanks Tommy.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 15:39, arthur stead wrote:
OK, at the risk of being accused of blatant self-adoration, here's a video of me playing keyboards with John Waite (another 1980's one hit wonder, who is also still performing).

The video was filmed for the TV show Solid Gold, in front of a live studio audience. Right at the beginning, to the right as the camera pans away, you can just barely see the outline of our host, Dionne Warwick, after she introduced us.

I love the jacket, Arthur!
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Lol! That was sweet Artur! Thank you! I loved Solid Gold, and in my time John Waite was huge. He was at least a TWO hit wonder! Very cool. It must feel so good to have had your passion for music take you so many places and introduce you to so many people. I'm in awe.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-12-17 15:39, arthur stead wrote:

Ha! Thanks for sharing.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 80's new wave stars today (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL